• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

just been given a cracking book that tells us how some of the streets and roads came to be named so....pic here of ashted row that i have not seen before and some info to go with it..

ashted row originally called mile end ashted...it was graced with elegant georgian buldings.. many doctors lived in ashted row until sadly its buildings were knocked down in the post second world war redevelopment of birmingham..ash himself moved to london soon after development began on his estate and it was leased by an attorney called brookes...hence great brook street...

pic dated 1956

ashtedrow001.jpg
Can I safely say that Ashtead Row is now Great Brook Street. Is is Great Brook St built in the area?Nico

Nico

Great Brook St and Ashted Row were two separate roads that ran parallel with each other and met at the junction of Vauxhall Rd, there are parts of Great Brook St left but nothing like it was, and Ashted Row has disappeared under Hilden Rd & Finstall Close. The only unofficial part of Ashted Row left is the old Dog & Partridge that still bears the Ashted Row street plate even though it is no longer in the A to Z.

Attachments

• Dog & Partridge Ashted Row - Windsor St .jpg
    Dog & Partridge Ashted Row - Windsor St .jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 118
Thank You Phil, looks a nice pub. There are some roads here which don't have names on you have to know what they were.
There is also a pub boarded up that I googled possiby on Hurst Street which looks old. Where my gran was born is a big complex opposite Mathews I think.
She went to live in Wheeleys Road with great gran and that's still there.
Much obliged to you all.
Nico

st peters place and st martins place off broad st dated 1969

img622.jpg

monument road/ledsam st ladywood dated 1960

img621.jpg

clifton road aston dated 1969..i love this one its so busy..

img623.jpg

heathfield road dated 1965

img628.jpg
[/QUOTE

Regarding the St.Martin's Place/Broad Street picture, a capture in colour of just a few years later comes on one of the MACE documentary videos

https://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-11091973-gas-lamp-lighter/MediaEntry/11605.html

I
ts on at around six seconds in

I loved that corner shaped building in St Peter's Place - shame it's gone.

Ah, I always associate Heathfield Road with going to the dentist as I went to a practice there for many years as a child and teenager, not necessarily a good memory!!

A Sparks, so did I go to a dentist in Heathfield Road - it was more towards the end of it going away from the Villa Cross. This would be in the 50s.

A Sparks, so did I go to a dentist in Heathfield Road - it was more towards the end of it going away from the Villa Cross. This would be in the 50s.

I think the dentist was originally Dr Pugh but he left and we had a succession of different ones over the years. It was an old Victorian house conversion, can picture the waiting room now!

Hi Richie, This photo takes me back!!! used to get off 29 or 29a Bus from Kingstanding at this very stop pop in the news agents for my Daily Mail then walk up the hill to the Office facing the church thats when I was working in Birmingham that is, as we were often out of town working >>

Thanks

Regards Pete

Hi every one, just looked at the photo of St Peter's Place and St Martins off Broad Street 1969 , had there use to be a cafe or ice cream Parlour near there in Broad Street.I am nearly sure I used to take my daughters there in the 80's. I think it was called Ninty nine or something like that. All the photos bring back memories. I must go and visit Hurst street back to back. Best Wishes Lizzie

i know this particular outdoor very well. in about 1950 it was run by a mrs griffin and she had a daughter called maureen who i was fond of for a time. i used to live further down francis street at number 69 which was next to a warehouse belonging to holbrookes pickles, i was known as frank smith at the time

Hello Sue, all the old pics make everywhere look calm and peaceful don't they.

A 1950 view of Tyburn Rd/Holly Lane junction, the house on the left and the building on the right still show on 'streetview'.
Tyburn Rd Holly Lane.jpg

I am loving these old street photographs and I thank all who have put them here. I am really looking forward to seeing more.

The one thing that sticks out to me is how litter free the streets are.......... was it because we were taught to take our sweet papers and rubbish home with us or is that we live on another planet now :upset:

again many thanks :angel:

If only we could take the good things of the 21st century and put them into the past ,how nice it would be, they are lovely photos,and i thank you all for bringing back so many happy memories. Lizzie

Great photo Stitcher, thank you :) it looks pretty much the same today !! My Grandads parents lived further down the street and Nan went to live with them when she married Grandad.

Hi Stitcher,
Sadly I never knew my Grandad or Gt Grandparents as they had all passed away before I was born, but my Nan often mentioned Montgomery Street, ...not always favourably though because she was treated like a skivvy by her In-Laws and she was glad when her and Grandad got a place of their own in Old Know Road !!
I have only seen the house from the outside, when passing by that way...and I compared your picture with googlemaps to find out where the house was in relation to that building, which is how I know it looks the same..

Maris, I believe the photograph was taken with the corner of Mill Lane in the foreground and where the lorry is turning on the opposite side is Oxford Street so I would think it would be the coach station.

Back