• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

These are the current 29 and 29A routes (via Broad Street and Hagley Road)

National Express West Midlands 29A and 29

The 29 goes to Northfield. 29A towards Harborne and California

last 2..the row of house were known locally as the doctors houses...

lyn

Ashted_Row_Cinema_Ashted_Row_Opening_1934_Closed_1958.jpg

Ashted-Row-Duddeston-.jpg

Thank you a birth relation was born in Ashted Row.

I seem to recall that our "Family Doctor" was in Ashted Row in the 1930's a Dr. Topping, I believe his wife was also a Doctor.
I would be very interested if anyone could confirm this.
Regards Reg

roverman

91 Ashted Row on the corner of Willis St opposite the Ashted Cinema was Topping, Topping & Hughes Physicians & Surgeons. A practice that I believe was taken over by Dr Tighe when sometime in the 50's when he closed his surgery further down Ashted Row.

Thanks Phil for confirming that my memory is not failing altogether, although it gets a little "Foggy" at times.
Regards Reg

1935 phone book has Topping, Dr H. G., 91 Ashted Row, 7, ASTon Cross 1078 - also at 81 Madison Ave, 8, STEchford 2582 (his home address?)

Can somebody furnish me with the 29 / 29a bus route out of town to kingstanding, so that I can see if I'm able to do this route?

I used the nothern part of the route out of town - a very long time ago - from memory - here goes !

Bull St outside Greys
Snow Hill
Constitution Hill
Gt Hampton St
Soho Hill
Bear right into Hamstead Rd
Turn right into Villa Rd
Bear Left into Heathfield Rd
Turn left into Birchfield Rd
Bear right at Perry Barr into Aldridge Rd
Bear right at Boars Head into College Rd
Bear left into Kingstanding Rd
29 terminus was the Kingstanding Circle
29a continued into Kettlehouse Rd
Bear left along Bandywood Rd
Bear left into Lambeth Rd
Cross Queslett Rd to Collingwood Drive
Terminus at Hillingford Avenue

roveman and Lloyd, my late Wifes family was registered with a Doctor Topping in the 50's (and possibly late 40's) at his practice in Park Road, Aston and the Doctor lived somewhere on the border of Sutton/Birmingham near or on Sutton New Road, he was an ex army man and made sarcastic remarks about the RAF when he gave my Wife her innocculations before she joined me in Hong Kong in 1953 when he found I was in the RAF. He was of a muture age then, I wonder if he was the same one from Ashted Row Eric

Last edited:
hi eric;
yes i recall the name of DR Topping; and there was two other DR,s surgery,s along the park rd in the forties and fifties
and his house of surgery was on the left hand side down along the little shops as you would be traveling down to aston parish church
then about four hundred yards or more there was DR Grayson a great and well liked doctor and very polite and thought off highly
by alot of people in and around aston; his house surgery was about four doors from the fencing of aston park fields which ran down and around to the aston park entrance with its lovely high arch of gates facing the aston parish church
the other name of the Dr whom was not very popular and whom names slipps my memo; at this precise time was known as Dr death
because he was not good and as you say a un polite doctor you wouldhear his name mentionioned by the womem quite often ;
his surgery was at the top of the hill on the opersite side just abouthundred yards from buckinghams the chemist from the ol traffic lights ;
and where his house surgery was it was an opening that had the old gas mantleat the bottom of the opening and there was some houses up there
and a person commited sucide people blamed him for there death because he should have reconised there state of health thats where
people called him horrible and DR death but yes i recall him old topping ;
we often stopped walking up hehill from the park or even after choir service and praticed

I tried 3 times to send you an instant message Astonian so I don't know if you received any.
The doctors names I was told about serving Parkhill in the late 50's and early 60's were Drs. Alexander, Sanderson and Sanderland.
There was a Mr Bott, and a Funeral Director, and a Colonel Piggott. Winifred Helmuth ran the Lahai Roi, the house with the 2 stone Lions. And Mrs Fields owned a lot of houses. I did speak to a Lady who runs the Chantry Road History Group. we also had a look in St Anne's church.
Nico

View attachment 80542View attachment 80543

This is a postcard from 1908 of Washwoodheath Rd near the junction with sladefield rd. My mum lived in the family shop at number 605 about 30 years after this postcard was sent. In this photo mum's shop was still a house and is directly behind the lamp post that the 4 children are standing next to on the left of the scene. Mum tells me that the tram terminus was close to their shop, and was the number 10. I've included a scan of the back of the postcard as it reminded me of the fact that back then they had postal collections and deliveries maybe 4 times a day, as you can see they were making arrangements to meet that evening, by post! Imagine trying to do that these days.

The shop nearest the camera was Sulleys shoes in the 30's and next door was Greenwoods tobacconist and sweets (Rowntrees & Cadbury ads on shop), next along was Hedges the chemist and then Foleys the butcher. The other side of the alley way was Perkins the corn merchants, then Baines the bakers, Spencers the grocers, GL Hyde wool shop, and finally Toys the butchers. Remarkably all of these shops and houses survived the WW2 bombings, especially considering their close proximity to the Wolsley factory (where my Grandpa worked in the pay office, I think).

Phil has already posted some great pics in #1054 of the other side of the road, and I am ever hopeful that someone may have some more of this run of shops in my postcard?

Have a look at the top of the page and you can get a demonstration. I think they have to be jpeg to attach. I go down the route of doing a 'quicky reply' so it opens up a box for your reply and then clicking on the image on the little toolbar on top of this and it comes up computer or URL. I click on computer and it comes up select files, which I then click on, and then download it. Its seems complicated at first but it becomes the norm after a few tries. Best of luck. Carol

just been given a cracking book that tells us how some of the streets and roads came to be named so....pic here of ashted row that i have not seen before and some info to go with it..

ashted row originally called mile end ashted...it was graced with elegant georgian buldings.. many doctors lived in ashted row until sadly its buildings were knocked down in the post second world war redevelopment of birmingham..ash himself moved to london soon after development began on his estate and it was leased by an attorney called brookes...hence great brook street...

pic dated 1956

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Lynn. Its funny how this photos keep coming up. I like you have been given an envelope recently with loads of photos in it which I am gradually putting on here. Carol.

Hi Astoness

I think i may of posted this photo before, i am not sure. But this photo
i am posting is the same house as in #1251, i think. It's from a different angle, in colour, but note
the Ford car in both photo's is the same.

Image3.jpg

Regards Stars

Walsall Road in 1938. On the left is Perry Avenue leading to Perry Hall Park. On the right is Church Lane leading to Perry Barr Park.
Walsall Rd_1938.jpg

A 1930's view of Beeches Road Great Barr looking towards the junction with Thornbridge Avenue where the terminus for the No 188 Midland Red bus was.
Beeches Rd 1936.jpg

The Mermaid / President Palace in Sparkhill has just been repaired again (after the second fire from a few years ago). Not sure if or when it will open again. The Bloye Mermaid sculpture seems to have been removed (in storage?).

Further up in Sparkbrook - The Angel is now a stakehouse! (the old pub sign was removed before the stakehouse was completed - including an extension).
When we used to visit our Brum relatives we passed through Sparkhill, and I always looked out for Sparky's pianos. I recalled Sparky's mgjic piano.Is The piano shop still there.
I also remember some tiny prefabs or I thought they were tiny en route to Selly Oak. A pub called the Raven and we passed part of Cadburys in Bourneville. If I remeber correctly it had old fashioned green sturdy iron railings and the site looked quite green.

just been given a cracking book that tells us how some of the streets and roads came to be named so....pic here of ashted row that i have not seen before and some info to go with it..

ashted row originally called mile end ashted...it was graced with elegant georgian buldings.. many doctors lived in ashted row until sadly its buildings were knocked down in the post second world war redevelopment of birmingham..ash himself moved to london soon after development began on his estate and it was leased by an attorney called brookes...hence great brook street...

pic dated 1956

ashtedrow001.jpg
Ashted Row is where my Great great grandparents were living when they got married. GG Grandfather had a butchers shop there I believe. Mid to late 1800's from a long line of butchers and publicans.
Have you any old photos of Sherlock Street too? I can't find where number 57 used to be. I can't work out the numbers at all. It is where one of my grandmothers was born. There is a possibility it may have been over a sweet shop in 1914. Before your time I know!
I love old photos, dad collected them. I gave his collection to the historical society he and mum had belonged to in Cov. (Although she was a Black Country wench). I think there might be more of old Brum left then of old Cov regardless that Brum is bigger, they just bulldozed it for bulldozing sake. I like looking at the clothes and the hairstyles (basin cuts) and household implements. And the music of the era.The Series Call The Midwife stirred up a lot of memories for me as it was when I was born. Even the more 'well to do' homes were still simple. We don't need half of the guff we have now. Don't know where guff came from either. On TV a couple of days ago somewhere has an honesty shop. They were selling red knitted poodle bottle covers we spoke of. Made me laugh. Never saw a red one before. Classy.
Thank you these wonderful pictures.
Nico

Nico
The position of no 57 depends on when your grandmother was born, as the numbering on Sherlock St was changed between 1880 & 1882. The building that was 57 pre 1880 was later no 139 and is marked in red on the map. The building that was 57 after 1882 is in blue
map_c_1890_showing_no_57_sherlock_st_pre_1880_and_post_1882.jpg

Nico
The position of no 57 depends on when your grandmother was born, as the numbering on Sherlock St was changed between 1880 & 1882. The building that was 57 pre 1880 was later no 139 and is marked in red on the map. The building that was 57 after 1882 is in blue
map_c_1890_showing_no_57_sherlock_st_pre_1880_and_post_1882.jpg
Many many thanks Mike, Nico.

Back