• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Whereabouts in Digbeth is this ? Are all those buses on the right the coach station ?

Maris I can't quite get the angle the same but this is what it looks like now...the buildings on the left havent really changed that much at all...

View from Mill Lane Digbeth 2.jpg

Maris I can't quite get the angle the same but this is what it looks like now...the buildings on the left havent really changed that much at all...

When some good weather coincides with time off work I'm going to print that off to take with me and try and take the same photo. It would be an interesting project to do the same for the other old photos where possible.

Hi Maris, it will be interesting to see the result you get when you get chance to go. I really like the then and now photos that are done. You probably gathered that I did that photo from a screen shot of google maps, so it limits the angles a bit.

my dad said he was at a police college in Digbeth in the late 1930's, I don't know if anyone knows where about's that was?? .
paul

thanks for posting the hampton st pic carolina...i put this one one ages back but think we lost it when the forum was hacked...its a great shot...i am hoping to add some more to this thread over the next few days...

lyn

my dad said he was at a police college in Digbeth in the late 1930's, I don't know if anyone knows where about's that was?? .
paul

Hi Paul, I've had a good look in various places for information about the college but have found nothing I'm afraid. I was wondering if it may have been attached to the actual Police Station itself ?? and also if the Police Museum may be able to help you although there doesn't appear to be a curator there at the moment
https://www.westmidlandspolicemuseum.co.uk/
and just as a thought, Astonian may know..

After thirteen weeks of training at Mill Meece Police Training centre in 1956 I returned and, as I recall, underwent local statute training at Digbeth Police Station for about two weeks. The layout was in the form of a simple room decked with desks but nothing that made it a formal college. Will.

A photo of some recruits undergoing training at Digbeth Police Station.

Attachments

• Digbeth Police Station Training .jpg
    Digbeth Police Station Training .jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 179
A photo of some recruits undergoing training at Digbeth Police Station.

To compliment Phil's picture of police training in Birmingham, and the information provided by the poster immediately before, members might like to know about the documentary archive belonging to the British Council, usually attached to British embassies around the world which promotes education about life and culture in England.

One of their little gems on-line for the time being is a 10-minute documentary filmed just after the War, regarding police training on the streets of Birmingham and in the classrooms such as described earlier. Here's the link:-
https://film.britishcouncil.org/the-man-on-the-beat

Hi lindy, Caroline, phil, and everyone thanks for answering my query I have only just noticed it as I never received, any notice it had been replied too, very informative.
regards
paul

Richie, Many thanks for the training film of Birmingham City police. My father was in the "A" Division at the time of the filming but was already a very experienced "copper". The film show the policing exactly as I remember it and it is as if I am watching my father on duty. How very different policing is today! Great film! Regards. willey

A photo showing a glimpse of the type of houses originally built on Perry Common. This photo was taken in Abingdon Road, the houses had just been finished in the early 1920's, they were coated with grey rough cast, the pavements were not yet laid, gardens and privet hedges were to come.
The houses were built quickly and served their purpose but I think they eventually showed some serious structural problems and had to be demolished.
I had previously put the photo with people info here.

Abingdon_Rd_Perry_Common.jpg

Back