• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

The last leg of our journey into town on the 29a all these photos are of the top end of Bull Street approaching Snow Hill, would the terminus have been outside Greys or would it have been on Snow Hill itself? The next set of photos will be of the slightly different route taken by the 29 service from Highfield Rd to where it met the 29a at the junction of Stratford Rd & Springfield Rd. Then I'll sort out the Snow hill to Kingstanding section of the route.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 229
  • City Bull St (5).JPG
    City Bull St (5).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 216
  • City Bull St 2.JPG
    City Bull St 2.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 219
  • City Bull St 1947 .jpg
    City Bull St 1947 .jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 222
  • City Bull St Greys Department Store.jpg
    City Bull St Greys Department Store.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 238
Nice pictures of Washwood Heath Road, Phil, I had a pet shop up this stretch late 1960's early 1970's, I wonder if anyone remembers it or has any pictures, we used to have a Macaw sitting on his perch outside the shop, he bit a good few people!!!! Oh Happy Days!!

A peaceful Gosta Green view. I looked at a recent aerial view and the old Delicia Cinema is covered by steelwork - they seem to be extending it upwards, but the Sacks of Potatoes pub next door seems to be untouched.
Gosta green.JPG

They are building the Bio Energy Centre for Aston University. Only the facade of the cinema remains. Yes the Sack of Potatoes is still there (well they might have knocked a few walls out inside - is mainly a student pub now).

#1192, I am transported back to a 14year old once again, although not in my part of the city the landscape was replicated a 1000 times over in this time period, through out the city.!!!
paul

No Paul two different places Winterbourne rd Harborne is the home of the Botanical Gardens. Lightswood park is in Bearwoood on the corner of the Hagley Rd.

Fascinating. Have you got any photos of an Ashtead Row or Five Ways before it was developed? (Where some of my birth family lived.) Wheeleys Road is still there I know. Some of them worked in a meat market. Also was there a clothing manufacturer or tailors called Seman? or Seaman?
Many thanks, Nico

last 2..the row of house were known locally as the doctors houses...

lyn

image.jpeg

New Ashted Row cinema

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thanked Phil on more than one occasion, but feel I must also say thank you to oldmohawk, lyn & carolina for all the fabulous pics you have been posting. I really appreciate your time and effort to do this. Such great memories when I look at some of these pics. Please keep them coming.

Let us take ourselves back to Hall Green now, and the terminus for the 29 bus at Yardley Wood Rail Station at the bottom of Highfield Rd (1). Here at the junction of Cole Valley Rd (2) is where I assume the bus turned for its return journey. Progressing up Highfield Rd (3) to the shops at the junction of Robin Hood Lane (4) Then on toward Stratford Rd (5).

Sorry but once again the photo seem to have sorted out the order they want to be displayed by themself. Please run your mouse over the photos to see the numbered sequence.

Attachments

• 1 Hall Green Highfield Rd 1934.JPG
    1 Hall Green Highfield Rd 1934.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 2 Yardley Wood Highfield Rd.JPG
    2 Yardley Wood Highfield Rd.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 110
  • 3 Hall Green Highfield Rd (2).jpg
    3 Hall Green Highfield Rd (2).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 4 Hall Green Highfield Rd 1964 ad.JPG
    4 Hall Green Highfield Rd 1964 ad.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 5 Hall Green Highfield Rd (3).jpg
    5 Hall Green Highfield Rd (3).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 112
On reaching the junction of Stratford Rd (6) on our right we see a parade of shops (7) directly to our front is the Bulls Head public house (8) turning left down Stratford rd we pass another parade of shops (9) just before the College at Cole Bank Rd. After crossing the junction we see Cateswell Rd on our right(10).

Attachments

• 6 Hall Green Stratford Rd Highfield Rd.jpg
    6 Hall Green Stratford Rd Highfield Rd.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 7 Hall Green Stratford Rd 1933.JPG
    7 Hall Green Stratford Rd 1933.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 109
  • 8 Hall Green Stratford Rd Bulls Head.JPG
    8 Hall Green Stratford Rd Bulls Head.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 9 Hall Green Stratford Rd 1954.JPG
    9 Hall Green Stratford Rd 1954.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 10 Hall Green Stratford Rd - Cateswell Rd.JPG
    10 Hall Green Stratford Rd - Cateswell Rd.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 109
On the other side of the road to Cateswell Rd is the Cateswell Café (11) owned by Sandy when I used to use it. Next on our right we come to Reddings Lane (12) then at the bottom of the hill we pass the College Arms at the junction of Shaftmoor Lane (13), then after passing over the bridge (14) we meet up with the 29a route at the end of Springfield Rd (15)

Attachments

• 11 Hall Green Stratford Rd Cateswell Cafe.jpg
    11 Hall Green Stratford Rd Cateswell Cafe.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 124
  • 12 Halll green Stratford Rd Parade 1913.JPG
    12 Halll green Stratford Rd Parade 1913.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 13 Sparkhill College Arms Stratford Rd.jpg
    13 Sparkhill College Arms Stratford Rd.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 14 Hall Green New Bridge Stratford Rd.JPG
    14 Hall Green New Bridge Stratford Rd.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 15 Sparkhill Stratford Rd Springfield.jpg
    15 Sparkhill Stratford Rd Springfield.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 122
More fascinating pic most of which were before my memory time - the tramcars left Stratford Road about the time of my birth.

In post 1220, showing a range of small shops, I noticed one whose owner seems to be a D. Self. Tongue in cheek I wondered if this might be the first self service shop! :friendly_wink:

Heres an interesting picture. Taken 1952 showing the canal which goes under Broad Street, Does anyone recognise the 'posuer' in the front?

Broad Street canal.jpg

carolina

I also have a copy of this photo and I class it among my favourites. I think he was probably some old tramp that was handy and the photographer asked him to pose. I just hope that the photographer gave the old gent a few bob for his time.

Phil

Interesting photos of Hall Green Phil.

A lot has changed, but most of the buildings are still up.

The Bull's Head

Telephone Exchange

Scotts Cycles - 1345 Stratford Road

On the other side of the road to Cateswell Rd is the Cateswell Café (11) owned by Sandy when I used to use it. Next on our right we come to Reddings Lane (12) then at the bottom of the hill we pass the College Arms at the junction of Shaftmoor Lane (13), then after passing over the bridge (14) we meet up with the 29a route at the end of Springfield Rd (15)
Wasnt Cateswell House in this area, I used to walk from Yardley Wood to the Army Cadets there during the war, two nights a week and Sundays
Bernard

Bernard

Here you are Cateswell House Stratford Rd Hall Green.

Attachments

• Hall Green Stratford Rd Cateswell House.JPG
    Hall Green Stratford Rd Cateswell House.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 68
Back