• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

The picture of High St. Saltley did not change much from then untill the sixties anyway. But now it's all gone.

I have two observations, there was a large red brick imposing bank on the corner of the side street (name escapes me at the moment). and Newtown Row.
I think it was a Barclays Bank.

In relation to the Marquis of Lorne, it was definitely on the corner of Newtown Row and another side street, maybe Theodore Street, but definitely not Cecil Street as this was situated nearer to town 38 Newtown Row to Hanley Street.
Hanley Street went from 27 Summer Lane to Cliveland Street.

HI Sylvia have no personal memory of the Maquis of Lorne I know the one by the Blues ground but that is the address given on the old pubs site The Marquis of Lorne: Photogrpahed in March 1961 by Birmingham City Council, this junction between Cecil Street and Newtown Row is now occupied by advertising boards behind which is a car park. However the Marquis of Lorne had long existed at that location, and was most l . I can't find it listed on Newtown Row or Cecil Street on Midlands Pubs site either so you are probably right butI just have to go with the caption if a definite address is not found regards Bernie

Sylvia, If you look at Berniew's photo of the Marquis of Lorne you will see on street name plate the name Cecil St

I grew up in Cliveland St which is the next street along from Cecil St, the Marquis as we knew it was on the corner of Cecil St and Newtown Row. Sorry I can't remember the name of the pub your after. Dave.

hi sylvia barclays bank was on the corner of milton st and newtown row..ive got a pic of it somewhere will post when i find it..

lyn

here you go sylv...barclays bank on the corner of milton st..the pub you see will be the british lion which i think is of interest to lynne webb..

lyn

Newtown%20%20Newtown%20Row%20Nr%20Milton%20St%201960.jpg

bernie that painting of hockley hill is one of my favourites...for those interested go to the hockley hill thread where it has been discussed...the buildings on the high pavement is now where hockley hill post office stands...

lyn

Your probably right nickcc101 it looks older to me the caption says 1980 to 1989 but I think I'll change it , I've put the painting on the Hockley Brook thread Lynn Bernie

Have not seen the last photo before. Very fine indeed. Another view also of a cabbies shelter in the road...they must have been plentyfull at one time.

Back