• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

nice pic post 2852 bernie...got a feeling that the large building in the distance is the marquis of lorne pub corner of cecil st and newtown row...a kellys look up for wilson on the corner should confirm it or not..

lyn

Tram travelling along Newtown Row has just passed New John Street West but still don't know the name of the pub Bernie

Bernie, Given that Wilsons were on the corner of New John St West and the next road along New Town Row was Theodore Street the pub would have to be The Vine Inn. Not a pub I knew or remember.

Nico:

Re: your query at #2242 of this thread, Peeping Tom came from my site here: https://www.msheppard.com/photos03.htm and was a postcard that I bought many years ago when I used to buy and sell old postcards. It's date stamped 28th October 1907 and I may even have the original somewhere - when I can get around to sorting out this computer room!

Maurice

Hi Bernie,

No apologies necessary as they're all well out of copyright. And I probably paid a few pence for the card at a Postcard Fair.

Maurice

Phil,I dont think it was The Vine,if my memory serves me right i think The Vine was on the opposite corner.

mossq,

I have no memory of either of the pubs, but I am only going by what the directory says. In the direction the photo is taken it would have been the Vine Inn. The other way it would have been The White Horse.

84 White Lion P.H. Wm.
Jukes
here is Brearleyst
here is Hatcheitst
128 Wright S. & Son, tinplate
workers
130 Powell Mrs. Emily, drapr
134 White Horse P.H. Stanley
Jsph. Fowles
here is New Johnstreet west
136 to 140 Wilson A. house
furnisher
142 Charlotte Miss Alice,
tobccnst
144 Yardley Mrs. Annie,
butcher
146 Kimberley Mrs. Emily,
greengro
15a Sollis Thos. Wm. hairdresser
160 Vine Inn, Albt. Parsons
here is Theodorest,
170 & 172 Lawden & Poole,
coppersmiths (Hope
•works)
174 Healing A. & M

Phil
Have tried to intensify the image of the large building below. It does look to me as if it is on th efarthest corner of theodore st, not the nearest corner. therefore, from Kellys, it cannot be the Vine, as that would be on the nearest corner.
There is another slight problem also. Am not sure which year you took details from Kellys, but I first looked at 1921 and got a similar list. However, if you go to the 1900 edition you get Anne Wilson at 136, on the opposite side of the junction, towards HATCHETT St as shown below.! However I think that is an error in the 1900 Kellys.

part_of_Newtown_row_in_1900_from_Kellys.jpg

62520Newtown2520Newtown2520Row25203A.jpg

Here is a poor quality picture of The White Horse on the corner of New town Row and New John Street,The gent is standing in New town Row.
I have never seen a picture of The Vine which was known as The Clock, so as not to confuse it with The Vine Summer Lane which was in the same block or square as we called it.Moss

Attachments

• Aston.White Horse.corner Newtown Row & New John St.-1.jpg
    Aston.White Horse.corner Newtown Row & New John St.-1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 68
Nice to see the photo of Bowyer Road, Bernie, I lived in Bridge Road on the left at the top of Bowyer Road. (1942-1951)

Regards Reg

thanks phil and mike...well i never i had always imaged that the marquis of lorne pub was on the the other side of newtown row...just goes to show we never stop learning...re the vine inn on the corner of theodore st im pretty sure i dont have a pic of that one but will have a look

cheers

lyn

Mike, My Kelly's extract comes from the 1950's edition. Your enhanced photo doesn't look like The Marquis of Lorne though does it? Anyway it would be too far away on the corner of Cecil St. I am looking for a photo of the Vine Inn, but I don't seem to have one. If anybody can come up with one it might help to clear things up a bit, as I have said previously I have no idea what the pub even looked like.

I agree Phil that it is not the Marquess of Lorne. I would , however, query if it was The vine (because I think it looks like it is on the wrong corner), which presumably means it is not necessarily a pub, as , if it is not the vine, then there do not seem to be any other pub possibilities

Mike, I can only go back to 1903 with my library of Kelly's directories, but in that particular edition that corner is listed as dining rooms. Would dining rooms have been in such an elaborate purpose built building? Or would it have been a public house some time earlier. I see that in later editions a coppersmiths from Theodore St had extended into the building, or there again did they have it built?

Back