• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

hi alan I lived at 229? or was it 29? tower hill , right opposite the hp building that backed onto the school playground . the block and all the houses around the back of it were demolished to make way for a new hp building . this left a bare patch on the corner of upper Thomas st , opposite the foundary . my parents were peggy and eddie lundon , he worked in hp. my best mate lived a few doors up , steve hughes . an older girl played with us in the street 9 I think she was about 15 at the time ,her name was ester . ring any bells ? regards roger

hi roger
i most certainly recall the house that backed on to the school play ground
and them building the new section steve hughes ring s a bell but not sure about ester unless you can recall her surname my cousin lived on the other side of hp when she was young and got married and lived there but it was only for a short while she had been flirting with another guy and her new husband tryed committing sucide they took him away to the mental hospital i have great memos of aston and recall most virtualy every think of my dear old Aston i often visit today and drive around the old aston ; and to tell you t5he truth i get upset when i see how its gone to the dogs completely distroyed i pull up and have moments to my self recalling the people and the shops within around the aston area and recall how buzzing it was always with great familys and shops i recall them as clear as yesterday best wishes Alan Astonian;; ps ;there is one guy i am trying to trace is my dear old mate collin gaskin if any body knows of his where abouts it would be great to find him orinated from lichfield rd and moved to tower rd by hp ;

A Hay Mills fruiterer - even then they were catering for foreign foods. The name on the house is Excelsior, I wonder whether it is still there, but of course we do not know the road.

Hay Mills Fruit shop.jpg

I haven't looked at every directory, but taking a selection for the period 1880-21 I cannot find any K Lane listed or any Lane listed as a fruiterer in the area. I suspect that when the photo was taken, the shop might have been outside the Birmingham area, and so not listed

Great photo as usual it`s jogged another memory. I was on a bus - maybe the 58 or 60 coming from Small Heath - in the mid fifties aged about 9. We were on the top deck right at the front !! All of Deritend had come to a stop just before the Bull Ring. Everyone was shouting and pointing. There were loads of cows running everywhere! Lots of noise from the men chasing them and deep bellows from the cattle who must have sensed their fate. Absolute mayhem but great fun for us as we had a grandstand view. There was a butchers on the right hand side of the road with a lorry backed in to unload. It looked as though the gates that funnelled the cattle off the ramp on the lorry had been pushed out of the way and were just lying across the pavement. A very different picture to the calm stroll in the picture, not easy as pigs have a mind of their own.

I lived not far from here in the 50`s at the Coventry Road end of Oldknow Road. I remember the hooter at knocking off time. Mom always called it the "bull". Was that at the B.S.A. or Rootes ?

hi mikejee
is there any chance you have a map of aberdeen street winson green looking for 6/125 aberdeen st
with thank josie

Josie
Below is a map c 1889 showing aberdeen st and nos 121.125 & 130 marked in red. the terrace of houses in which the house you require is situated is presumably the terrace behind 125. the only thing that complicates matters is that , on the electoral roll this terrace is listed as back 130 (because of where the entrance was - this is usual). I would have expected the terrace to be numbered 1,2... from the entrance. in that case then the house directly behind 125 would be number 7 (as there are 7 houses in terrace), and no 6 of the terrace would be behind 126. The houses I would expect to be 6 & 7 are in blue, but am not sure which you want

map_c_1889_aberdeen_st_showing_nos_1212C125___130.jpg

hi mike and josietrue
If i am reading the map correctly from the top end of the map
as you reached the corner of aberdeen streetthere was the corner shop if my memory serves me correctly i think that was ted roaches shop and as you turned into aberdeen stret on the oppesite side of the corner there was colliss,s radio and tv shop but staying on the left hand side walking into aberdeen street there was a couple of little houses and then an entrance and i think it was the price family [ chris price used to hang around with us from time to time always in his leather jacket ; then a little further along there was the terrace houses where harriss used to live john ; and further along there was the big long gardens with there house laying back of them where another old long time friend and opart of our gang was johnny dunkly all the girls craved after him ; the dunkley family moved from st marks street ladywood where johny and myself both attended the steward stret school and later met up with chris and john and harpie bird tommy folan ; from gillot rd billy wyman from peel street and one or two more i cannot recall the names of the gang then a little further up was the cotterills and alfie froggatt and family and the hansons sid and of course little maggie from up the terrace by the shop just before the queens pub the list is endless i can recall the terraces verywell ; best wishes Astonian;

Thank you Berniew, 50 years on from your photo of Oldknow Road in 1920 more memories! My auntie Muriel lived on the left here at 235. My cousin lived a little bit further down. This view is looking towards the Coventry Road from what we called the Top. In my mind I am standing on the Coventry Road /Oldknow Road end looking up towards where the photographer would have been standing. On my left the Holy Family school. On my right St Gregory`s Church. I`ll stay on the right or the odds. A big red phone box that I ran into when it was first put there! I was so used to coming around the corner and nothing there! Next to that the 28 bus stop that I caught to my Nans in Bordesley Green Then the garages that belonged to the church. Mr Palmer collected the money from the men who rented the garages. He would frighten us with tales of the Bogieman so we wouldn`t play by the church cellar. The thought of him in his bowler hat still makes me shudder. Then at no 1, the chip shop, Mr and Mrs Clarke and their 3 sons ran it and lived there. Always a bag of chips when we were out playing together. I lived next door at no 3. old Mr & Mrs Warner at no 5.He loved his garden. My auntie Phoebe at 7, she had the first tv and I was always there for childrens hour. At no 9 Mr & Mrs Wheatstone. He had a clickety leg, he`d lost it in one of the wars and his false leg always mad a noise as he walked. Then the entry which we always went up too get around the backs. The yards and gardens were divided by a pathway of blue bricks and all had fences. No-one had any dogs, but lots of pigeons for racing. Further along the road was Mrs Thornes shop, really it was her front room with a high counter, People would buy one woodbine. My auntie worked there for a time. Halfway there was a gulley that went through to Malmesbury Road. A grocers shop on the corner , Ravenscrofts and my auntie Hilda lived behind in what would have been the back room She also worked in the shop sometimes. Lovely people I was lucky to have grown up there.

Back