• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

just showed my husband those photo of erdington cottage homes he spent 10 years there before being fostered out at 15 years old
the big house as you go in the gates was called the lodge the ariel view if you look you can see the clock in the middle of the drive
and the big playing field is were they had the sports days
josie

Thankyou so much for the wonderful memories . I lived in tower hill , off upper thomas street . Hp sauce was on either side of the road . Could you be so very kind as to direct me me to anyone who frequented aston locomotive sheds ? Regards roger

I have been in Aston Locomotive sheds, when was a kid, not long before it shut down. I recall it had a machine for filling the tenders with coal on the steam locomotives.

There was also a turntable and an electric capstan that we would sit on and spin ourselves around.

DavidGrain, This is your location on the corner of Monument Rd & Barker St.

Attachments

• Barker St.JPG
    Barker St.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 80
The first postcard reminds me of the days when I thought all the municipal buildings in Birmingham were built in black stone. Midland Red FEDD on the Dudley Road routes pulling out of Edmund Street and a Scamell Mechanical Horse probably belonging to the railways coming down past the Town Hall. I would date this picture late 1940s. The Corporation Street postcard also definitely post war but I would guess slightly later than the first.

New Street/Temple Street 1963 by John Ball Photographer, this is so atmospheric almost like a film shot..
New Street 1963.jpg

Stephenson Place 1963 by John Ball photographer, this is wonderful! be careful it will make you cry:sorrow:
Stephenson Place 1963.jpg

View attachment 87592Monument Road[/QUberniew .
This picture brought back memories of August 1949. When as an 18 year old bride "Caves' was where I purchased a dining & bedroom suite. for our newy built home in Perry Bar. The suite.s were the first furniture to be exported from Poland after the war. It was lovely to have "non utility frurniture.' I still have & use the sideboard & table here in Calfornia.
Thank you for the memories.
Jean.OTE]

Would someone identify where on Monument Road this was for me please. I feel I should know it but can't place it.

David, as you come down from the Ivy Bush it was on the left hand side on the corner of the first road, but I cant rember the name of the road.

David, as you come down from the Ivy Bush it was on the left hand side on the corner of the first road, but I cant rember the name of the road.

Thanks. I realise now why it was familiar but I couldn't quite place it. It is because with the oneway traffic I always saw it from the opposite direction.

Back