• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

We used to pass some prefabs on the way up to Selly Oak in the 60's. .They were very small and seemed very close together. They reminded me of railway goods wagons as a child. Weoly Castle was higher up the hill coming from Cov. I am told the Raven pub has gone in Selly Oak and the whole area undergone a big change.

A great photo Carolina of the police station. Looks like someone's house, with the room to the right allocated to the police. There's one man on the left without a uniform, wonder why? Owner of the house? And perhaps his wife and dog in the doorway? This photo surely must be about early policing? Can see why it got it's name 'Cop shop' Nico, looks like a front room conversion, as many shops started out. Viv.

Great photo Carolina, thanks for posting it on.what book was the picture from please...but I have doubt as the lampost don't appear to be a Aston or Birmingham standard one? I know that the old police station on Nechells park road became a Municipal Bank and the old cells were made into the vaults.
Nechells Green Police Station

View attachment 87501

A great photo Carolina of the police station. Looks like someone's house, with the room to the right allocated to the police. There's one man on the left without a uniform, wonder why? Owner of the house? And perhaps his wife and dog in the doorway? This photo surely must be about early policing? Can see why it got it's name 'Cop shop' Nico, looks like a front room conversion, as many shops started out. Viv.

The man on the left who you think is not wearing a uniform looks to me as if he is wearing a pillbox hat which was the headwear in the old days for an Inspector and higher ranks. However his open jacket looks a bit slovenly. There is another man on the right wearing a similar hat but he is wearing a double breasted tunic. The woman in the doorway could be the inspector's wife as the officer in charge is likely to live in. They would need a woman around to look after any women prisoners.

Thanks David. Yes, the inspector doesn't seem to be setting an example and his wife looks pretty formidable. The men in the constable uniform look very proud to be wearing it. Viv.

Remember when village police stations had the Policeman's house attached as in Berkswell, as did the LockKeeper, Railway Crossing Keeper,
School Master etc. Berkswell Police Station and house has gone but the Butcher's House remains.

Re post #2236 the shops are on Weoley Castle Road at the junction with the Square the entrance to the community centre is just past the last shop and the pre fabs are also on Weoley Castle Road , I 'm very surprised that TASCO reached this far from Stirchley and Ten Acres The answer supplied by a clever bloke from another forum

My lad always complains that my directions usually include pubs that have long since gone David , old habits and all that

Tumbleweed Town. They used to call the old comp room that when everyone was starting to get made redundant. Someone would whistle a line from The Good The Bad and The Ugly Whistle whistle whistle ooh ha! they were also the names of the Management.
Pubs used to be the names of the bus stops like The Old Cat (yer mother in law). Nico

Surprised about the last photo, Lower Priory. Thought this had disappeared (or re-named?) by 1964. Took me a while to realise you can see the Gaumont and Post and Mail building at the top of the road. Viv.

I was surprised how narrow the road was. I think, Viv, that that is Lloyd House in the background. The Post & Mail building would have been further to the right. In those days Lloyd House would have been the head office of Stewarts and Lloyds.

I was surprised at the age of the cars in the photo also. The only date I have been able to find for the building of Lloyd House is early 1960s. The Post and Mail building was completed 1964.

It would have to be 63-64 because Lower Priory wasn't demolished until c1963. Here's a photo looking down it a little earlier.

Attachments

• City Old Square.jpg
    City Old Square.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 106
I was surprised how narrow the road was. I think, Viv, that that is Lloyd House in the background. The Post & Mail building would have been further to the right. In those days Lloyd House would have been the head office of Stewarts and Lloyds.

Thanks David and Phil. It's only just occurred to me that Lloyd House and the old Post and Mail towers are very similar (well from a distance). Also forgot that the Mail building had a digital clock. Must have walked around there with my eyes closed when I worked in Fountain Court on Steelhouse Lane. And this seems to be one area that's been considerably developed even since the 1960s. After the more recent removal of the pedestrian subway, a very sizeable plot of land must have been freed up for development. I remember that area/ subway in front of the Gaumont as a very large and badly designed space. Horribly draughty in winter and very unloved in summer. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374934531.945107.jpg

Thanks David and Phil. It's only just occurred to me that Lloyd House and the old Post and Mail towers are very similar (well from a distance). Also forgot that the Mail building had a digital clock. Must have walked around there with my eyes closed when I worked in Fountain Court on Steelhouse Lane. And this seems to be one area that's been considerably developed even since the 1960s. After the more recent removal of the pedestrian subway, a very sizeable plot of land must have been freed up for development. I remember that area/ subway in front of the Gaumont as a very large and badly designed space. Horribly draughty in winter and very unloved in summer. Viv.

View attachment 87528
They've done quite a good job of that area now by filling the subway in.
By ell Brown..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/39415...Zpc-dt92bB-dt8YXc-dt9bfm-dt8ZRk-dt9cZY-bFkbGF

Back