• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Sospiri post 3119,my in-laws lived at 5/87 Queens Road, Aston, they were 6 roomed houses with bay windows, and a front garden, so your relatives were on the front, the houses were owned by Atkinsons Brewery, which was just a few yards from
No.87.

Re post 3115 I am wondering whether the photo of Avenue Road, is actually Avenue Road, Aston, and the church is St. Mary's fronting Aston Road.

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for that information about Queens Road - much appreciated and I will pass it on to my cousin in NZ.

Maurice

Re post 3115 I am wondering whether the photo of Avenue Road, is actually Avenue Road, Aston, and the church is St. Mary's fronting Aston Road.

Sylvia, The photo is indeed that of Avenue Rd Aston that ran from Rupert St Nechells to Aston Rd North. The church on the corner would be St Mary's and the view is straight across Aston Rd North into Upper Sutton St

Eric. The window is out on one of the houses with the tea chest, and the lower window is up. Possibly they were moving out, perhaps prior to demolition

It seems a common error - I used to work in Coventry and saw the district of Stivichall or Styvechale spelt a total of 3 ways at one time depending upon whether it was a local sign or one put up by the then Ministry of Transport.

Peter,

Just exactly what were you looking for, was it the area from the High St to Watery / Sandy Lane?

I was born at the junction of New bond Street and Coventry Road opp the Dolphin pub , next door to shoe menders. Anything you have would be great.
With many many thanks peter

Peter

This is the best I can do, only one shows the junction of New Bond St when there was a building there, but I included the rest as they might interest you.

Attachments

• Bordesley Coventry Rd  Bordesley Staion Bridge.jpg
    Bordesley Coventry Rd Bordesley Staion Bridge.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Bordesley Dolphin Bordesley Coventry Rd.jpg
    Bordesley Dolphin Bordesley Coventry Rd.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Bordesley Sandy Lane - Coventry Rd - Watery Lane.jpg
    Bordesley Sandy Lane - Coventry Rd - Watery Lane.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Small Heath Coventry Rd (5).JPG
    Small Heath Coventry Rd (5).JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Small Heath Coventry Rd Watery Lane Sandy Lane Junction.jpg
    Small Heath Coventry Rd Watery Lane Sandy Lane Junction.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 173
How often was the railway bridge on Coventry Road repainted (between Digbeth and Bordesley), as it hasn't been done in ages (and is covered in graffiti).

Is that a trap or a governess cart? Nan used to tell me about the different carriages. Landaus, Phaetons, gigs, dog carts, dreys, whiskeys or am I making that one up? Have been in a wagonette around the Ring of Kerry, the jaunting cars were full up.

Back