• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Some more photos of Fords over the River Cole all in or near the Hall Green area of South Birmingham. I'm afraid they are all vastly different today.

Attachments

• Sparkhill Foremans Rd Ford.JPG
    Sparkhill Foremans Rd Ford.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Hall Green Four Arches Coleside Avenue off Robin Hood Lane.JPG
    Hall Green Four Arches Coleside Avenue off Robin Hood Lane.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 98
  • Hall Green Scribers Lane Ford.JPG
    Hall Green Scribers Lane Ford.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Moseley Sarehole Rd Ford.jpg
    Moseley Sarehole Rd Ford.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 102
Great pictures there, Phil, Foremans Road was always a bridge in my lifetime and I spent such a lot of time playing on the banks of the Cole in the allotments between the Stratford Road end of Knowle Road and Foremans Road. Proper little beavers we were, attempting to dam the river with logs and rocks. I'm not so familiar with the Scribers Lane one.

Maurice

My dad lived in Formans RD in a house that can be seen in the picture. He often told me about the way they would hang on to any carts
passing through the river. In the early days it was known as Formans Lane.

Maurice, If you liked the photos of the Fords so much then here are some more for you, two of the Hobmoor ford, 2 of the Lea Ford and one Warstock ford. I have no doubt some of our members will know the exact locations of these fords.

Attachments

• Yardley Hobmoor Ford.jpg
    Yardley Hobmoor Ford.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Hay Mills Hob Moor Rd Ford.JPG
    Hay Mills Hob Moor Rd Ford.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Kitts Green Lea Ford Rd.JPG
    Kitts Green Lea Ford Rd.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Stechford Lea Ford Footbridge.jpg
    Stechford Lea Ford Footbridge.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Warstock Ford at Stoney Lane Postcard.jpg
    Warstock Ford at Stoney Lane Postcard.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 86
Know them I have driven through some (nearly failed in one) and my Dad would have known most of them in the Yardley Wood and Solihull Lodge areas. The one however disappeared upon the coming of the railways so even he would not have known that one.

Maurice, If you liked the photos of the Fords so much then here are some more for you, two of the Hobmoor ford, 2 of the Lea Ford and one Warstock ford. I have no doubt some of our members will know the exact locations of these fords.
I think 5 of 5 is the Warstock end of what is now Yardley Wood Road which in turn is an extension of Stoney Lane. I have a postcard somewhere from the opposite side.

Hello, I used to live on Yardley Wood Road and I remember the driving instructor making me drive through that ford to tell me to test the brakes.
Betty.

Hi Betty the actual description does say 'Bull' Inn pictured in 1908 (licensee Hart Piling) and was on the Bristol Road Northfield with Bell Lane. But I do agree there was a Bell Inn. I will see if I can find anything else out. Carol

There you are Betty - perhaps the card was wrong.

The 'Bell and Bluebell Inn' at the junction of Bell Lane and Bell Holloway was a coaching station for travellers until a new 'Bell Inn' was built on the Bristol Road in 1803.

Last edited:
I think you will find that the Bell Inn replaced the Old Bell & Bluebell Inn coaching house that was nearby at the top of Bell Lane.

Attachments

• Northfirld Bell Lane Old Bell Inn.JPG
    Northfirld Bell Lane Old Bell Inn.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Northfield Bell Inn Bristol Rd Northfield  (2).jpg
    Northfield Bell Inn Bristol Rd Northfield (2).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 68
I just found this photo, and it looks like the ford in the postcard was indeed on what was to become Yardley Wood Rd later.

Attachments

• Yardley Wood Yardley Wood Rd.jpg
    Yardley Wood Yardley Wood Rd.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 93
Carolina, Your card is of the old ford by the aquaduct on Peterbrook Road, the ford now runs in pipes under the road and the bridge has been replaced.
My avatar is me driving through floods on Peterbrook Road and the photo was taken from the bridge.

Colin

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 60
Ah, I climbed up the walls of the aqueduct many a time as a kid! I wouldn't dare attempt it now!!!

Maurice

Carolina, You can see the location of where I think is the ford in the photo and post card is on this early map. It crosses the Chin Brook just at the bottom of the hill leading up into Yardley Wood Village.

Attachments

• img282.jpg
    img282.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 44
Carolina, I believe Happy Valley was in the locality in fact I am told it was between the Stratford upon Avon canal and the Chinn Brook.

I'd say it's Haughton Road. The road forms an acute angle with Trinity Road. If it is Haughton then Trinity Church would be behind right of the photographer. The curve of the road going down towards Perry Barr looks about right too. Assuming it might be Haughton Road, wonder if Mikejee could identify the number of the house at the junction of Haughton and Trinity Roads. Be very grateful. Many thanks. Viv.

And you're absolutely right Mike, 'cos I meant to type 'Birchfield Road' not Trinity Road!!! (Blimey, can't even blame that one on Should Have Gone To Specsavers. Must have been one of those senior moments people talk about). So yes it's the house at the junction of Haughton and Birchfield Roads. Thanks. Viv.

Viv
The building seems to be divided intoi two, one in Haughton Road, which presumably would have been no 2 (as even numbers were on north side, while attached was a building in birchfield road, which I cannot number exactly

Back