• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

pewster

Concerning Banford Rd, it would indeed be the road on the right just after the junction of Cotterills Lane and Alum Rock Rd as these two snips from Google maps show.

Attachments

• banford rd 2.JPG
    banford rd 2.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 46
  • banford rd.JPG
    banford rd.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 28
attachment.php

You mention somewhere, then you find the pic !

pewster

Concerning Banford Rd, it would indeed be the road on the right just after the junction of Cotterills Lane and Alum Rock Rd as these two snips from Google maps show.

Thought it was, just wondered if anybody would have any idea when Banford Road came into existence. I know that's where my moms parents lived, number 49 if I remember right. House was old fashioned front room leading to kitchen/bathroom with outside lav. I assume it was council and no doubt for the 50's / 60's probably one of the nicer ones, it even had a garage !

It first appears on the online electoral rolls in 1925. The earlier online roll was 1922, so Banford Road would presumably have been first occupied sometime 1923-25

I went to visit the old workhouse in Western Road last Sunday, and couldn't believe the state of it. Why has it been allowed to fall in to such disrepair? I think it deserves to be restored, and for us to all remember the sad lives that passed through that arch of tears.
This post has been moved to the following thread - Western Road Infirmary

Last edited by a moderator:
It first appears on the online electoral rolls in 1925. The earlier online roll was 1922, so Banford Road would presumably have been first occupied sometime 1923-25

I would imagine my the grandparents house would have been built after war but don't suppose theres an easy way to find out. I know its still there but obviously private and bought off the council now, assuming it was council when it was my grandparents which I am 90% sure it was !

I would imagine my the grandparents house would have been built after war but don't suppose theres an easy way to find out. I know its still there but obviously private and bought off the council now, assuming it was council when it was my grandparents which I am 90% sure it was !
The houses in this area date from the twenties.

Brumgum, My Dad's family moved in to Cotterills Lane in 1928 to a new council house so it would be 20's though some could have been later. Anne

All those type of houses were called Municipal houses and later known as Inter War houses, so they would have been built between 1918 and 1938.

I don't think the second picture is Stephenson Place. I am thinking Lower Temple Street but that was one way down. Definitely an M & B sign at the end of the street and I am sure M & B were not in London at that time.

David

Richie is right on both counts, although it is Stephenson Street looking at Stephenson Place and the Exchange with the M & B sign.

Attachments

• City Stephenson St.JPG
    City Stephenson St.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 141
Ansell's draymen delivering to Anderton Park Rd in 1923, I have a couple of misgivings concerning the information attached to this photo. It's says Sparkbrook, when I always thought it was Moseley or even Balsall Heath at a push. The other thing being I never thought the residents of Anderton Park Rd would have allowed anything so common as a public house, beer-house, or off-sales in their street.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Anderton Park Rd Ansells Drey 1923  .jpg
    Sparkbrook Anderton Park Rd Ansells Drey 1923 .jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 102
Carolina

G. Joconelli & Co were listed at 40 Banbury Street off New Canal St by the Proof House as a Piano Organ depot. It looks like they were next door to the black Horse.

Carolina - Where did you get the picture of Hillyfields ? It looked the same in the 1940's when I used to walk up there to St Peter's CE school. It must have been a good mile and a half,I and 2 friends - no Mums - walked in all weathers, from age 5. There were rumours of 'Men in the bushes ' but I never saw anything untoward. A good little school - happy days!

So pleased to see this photo of The Bell Inn Phil! My late mum and dad used to walk out to the Bell for clandestine meetings in the late 1940s .......

Here are another couple for you - The Ivy House Hotel, Soho Rd/Whitehall Rd (date not known) and The Star Wine Vaults, Dale End, 1898:

Whitehall Road and Soho Road. The Ivy House Hotel.jpg

Star Wine Vaults in Dale End in 1898.jpg

That's a super photograph of Dale End and many on here would find it instantly recognisable. I don't think it changed much at all up until the sixties and I am sure I would have passed most of those buildings on the tram. I think the road must have been wider there to allow for the Welch market...hmm that would have been before my time.

Back