• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"old saying"

• Thread starter Thread starter margaret sheridan
  • Start date Start date
Can any one tell me were the saying "IN YOUR OIL TOT" Came from ,as the other half as just asked me & as some one who thinks he know it all, I need help LOL :2funny:
ASTON

Aston I have heard two different meanings to this old saying
1/ When a machine is running rough a tot of oil makes it run smooth
2/ Drinking a tot of olive oil before going on the booze (suppose to line ya stomach to stop ya being ill )
So on the whole both would make you happy

My nan always said "cough up chicken your mothers a duck" "good night ,god bless" "up the wooden hills to bedfordshire""put your leg in bed"the last one is said when putting your arm through somebody elses,i now find my self saying all of them to my kids and my 6 year old asks why i say leg in bed when i mean her arm!

Tell the truth and you won't get into trouble, most of us did after we confessed I'm sure

Act The PART And You Will Bcome The Part.
One Who Cannot Tolerate Small Ills,
Can Never Accomplish Great Things.

This was well practised by my dad....

If you take care of the pennies the punds will take care of themselves.

DO A THING AND HAVE DONE WITH IT.

BE AN HONEST PERSON, AND YOU,LL BE REGARDED AS ONE .

DON,T HURTYOURSELF AND DON,T HURT OTHERS

Never heard Mom say that
redcard.gif

I heard many an "old" person say this when I was young..........oh so many moons ago :coolsmiley:

I'm sure you do do as your good lady says and NOT as she does Robert >:D

Back