• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"old saying"

• Thread starter margaret sheridan
  • Start date
Next to the pantry Nan had a cupboard where she kept the coal, she called it the "coal hole" we didn't look in there very often since it was very dark  and if we were naughty she would threatened to put us in there with the Bogey Man she never did though. ::)

When asked " where you going " the reply from my dad was "There and back to see how far it is "

One we used to use a lot was,if someone asked how you where, we would answer, Not So Dusty, Well Brushed.

Another couple of old sayings - He never had two ha'pennies to rub together.

I can't get a penny above a beggar.

He'll never have any money as long as he's got a hole in his a---e

"Shufti" does mean "look", but it's Arabic and dates only from soldiers bringing the expression home aftaer the War.

Rupert, I knew the last one was a bit risque and half expected it to be censored, but I'm sure we have all heard the expression. Sorry I didn't use the spell check!!!

:angel: It's ok Sylvia I'd already mentioned that one way back: Page 4 Post #48:

My Dad had some real good ones but they maybe a little rude to put on the forum. However if you want to use your imagination here are couple of his more mild ones :
'Red hat no dr..s '(I have never worn a red hat) .
' I'll never be rich, as long as I've a hole .. .. ....' and he never was and knew that he never would be .
No intention to offend. Just telling it like it was

:2funny: :2funny:

:angel: No need to be sorry Sylvia, I was just saying that it got through the 'Moderators' the first time when I put it on, so why not a second time. I just wanted to make you feel better about it and not be embarrassed we BRAgirls must stick together. :2funny:. I'm sure if we look there are a few that have come up twice or more. As there are pages and pages of this topic.

if we tried to con my mother, she would say, your craftier than a cartload of monkeys

jake

If I asked my mother for something she would say 'them as ask don't get' if I wanted something and didn't ask for it then enquired why not she would reply 'them as don't ask don't want'. Can't win A!
Black over Bills mothers regarding the clouds portending rain was explained to me as 'well which ever direction you look there's bound be somebody called Bill and he's bound to have a mother!'
Never in the reign of pease puddin is the one I remember.
Something well worn or not quite nice was referred to as 'manky'.
Why did and do Brummies refer to a relation as 'our' as in I'm goin to see our Carol tamora.
Does anyone remember K-lie which was a powder (sherbet) in multi colours sold by the two ounce in a cone shaped paper bag ? Or quarter pound if you were well off.
Kippers and curtains, Mam said, referred to the habit of watching the neighbours through your curtains to see what gossip you could elicit from the comings and goings next door to show you were a better class of person cause no gossip could be attached to you as you had no improper people calling. The kipper part she said was cause they thought they were posh in Sutton and Solihull but the only breakfast they could afford was a piece of bread rubbed over a kipper nailed to the back door. No offence meant to the people of those areas just what was said by the folk when I was a lad 50 years ago.

YOUR HAPPINESS IS THE RESULT OF YOUR OWN EFFORT.

THE RESPECT OTHERS GIVE YOU , DETERMINES THE VALUE OF YOUR ADVICE . STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE .

confused2hw.gif

Treat an idiot like a genius
And a genius like an idiot
And you will never be wrong

THE BESTway to cure toothache is to prevent it, always have your teethfilled before they decay or extracted if they can,t be saved before they start giving you trouble .;

After reading all 12 screens of sayings all that i can say is "Well I'll goo tu the foot of our stairs.

TURN YOUR FACE TO THE SUN, AND THE SHADOWS FALL BEHIND YOU .

LOOK WELLTO THIS DAY-----IT IS ONE OF A KIND AND WILL NEVER COME AGAIN

Back