• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old evening mail pics.....

forgot to say i think i have nearly exhausted the evening mails...prob about another 20 to go on....

lyn:)

Location of the Bordesley Green picture no 7 page 15 is of the main road through Bordesley Green, with Bordesley Green School to the left of the cyclist. The area behid the school is Ideal Village. Coming back the other way on the same side as the bread van would be Colonial Road. I have my family to thank for identifying the location.

Clearing up after the demolition of Christ Church. 1899.

Attachments

• Christ church 1899.jpg
    Christ church 1899.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
I think posts 125 and 142 are stunning pictures. I presume they were taken by the newspapers photographers. Maybe the first one seems a little out of place though...perhaps the driver posed in the entry maybe. In any case a magnificent picture, the quality of which is not common but has occured on here many times. Thanks for your effort.

Stitcher, if that is New Street behind (post #200) then that would be the Collonade Hotel behind the workman on the right and the passage alongside where Peter used to go. Would that be the Theater Royal in the background with the towers. If the old picture of New Street on 'see Birmingham by Postcard' is the same location then we are looking at 40 years of development in that area. It would seem that the buildings on the south side of New Street all changed in that timespan as indeed it is all gone again. Great picture also and an important one.

hi gerry...i have one or two of summer lane in general but none yet of the coronet building......would you like me to email these to you..

gerry.. type in summer lane in the search box as i have posted all the pics i have under that thread....i do have one more but i need to get permission to post it first....

hope these are of help....

Lyn,
Sound very good, i would love to see the images.

Would you email me the highest resolution pictures you can please, that would be very nice. Send to me at coronet@talktalk.net.

If you can tell me who owns the copyright an i will get permission to use, also what date do they come form?

Gerry :133::133::133:

hi gerry i have posted all the summer lane pics i have under the summer lane thread.....there is only one that i have to ask permission about...the rest are ok...

lyn

Has this been on before Astoness?
Doesnt these newspapers make your hands dirty & smelly :taste

Attachments

• Aston Alma Street 1953 (1).jpg
    Aston Alma Street 1953 (1).jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 20
hi ragga...thanks for posting...the pic is great it is of the alma st celebrations 1953 and i may have put this one on the alma street thread...the little lad in the bottom left hand corner now goes out with my sister...

having sifted through 3 carrier bags of old mails my hands are ruined..lol
Hope you don't mind I have turned the photo the right way round.

Attachments

• Aston Alma Street 1953.jpg
    Aston Alma Street 1953.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 9
Lyn,
I seem to be a dense at present, can you email me the scans you :) made or new ones ta highest resolution you can achieve please?
best best wishes and well done
Gerry

The owner of this shop at the time was my grand mother Sarah Brotherhood,a coal barrow is being pushed to the coalyard Sarah also owned in Talford St.

Barry, thanks' a million for the link and the same to you as well Astoness, Sarah was my Aunt and i have been hoping that in time a photo would appear, wahoo.

bren

barry and bren..so glad that pic means such a lot to you...its made all that going through the old papers well worth while...

i will try and find a few more out in the next few days....

pict. 10

i love this one too..queens coronation celebrations...o dear ive forgot where..will go back and check then edit...unless of course i throw it open for you all to have a guess...any ideas.????

Lyn, Its UPPER THOMAS STREET & My Aunt Edith Lamb (Nee Woolley) is 2nd Right in the dark coat She lived at number 16 upper Thomas St.

ive also got this one of angelina st...i wonder if someone could confirm if this was in birmingham please...
Yes its Birmingham corner of Angelina /St William Edward St,,shop on the corner Mrs Foxs second hand shop,gate next to shop
my friends back yard,little shop on the other side,fishing tackle shop,the street you can just about see, is where i was born

thanks elizabeth...and thanks keith..how nice that your aunt is in that pic...actually ive just noticed how many views these old pics are getting...didnt realise they were so popular....i have many more old papers to go through so when i have time i will scan and post some more...

lyn

Hi Astoness

Just found this site and have loved looking at the old photo's. Many thanks for all your hard work in posting them. My wife was born in Aston and movd to Ladywood. My family are from the Saltley, Nechells area. Thank you.

Regards

Ron

hi ron and welcome to the forum....if you use the search engine at the top right of the page there are lots of pics of all the areas you mention...just type in the roads/streets you are looking for...

lyn

Hi Lyn

My family lived in Aston c1875-1901. Do you know what the area was like in those days?

hi frederick...if you use the search box at the top right of the page and type in what you are looking for there are quite a few threads on aston...hope this is of help...if you get stuck get back to me...

lyn

hello,astoness,great pic,s on page 3, where are those blocks, of flats, do you have any foto,s of the queen in 1940,opening st martins flats in highgate,..or do have a copy from last year, it was in the evening mail,..please...yhe kids playing in the cord yard do you have any info please ..where it is,..cheers,..christy.

Back