• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old evening mail pics.....

They are so evocative of the time................thank you so much for sharing them Lyn :)

Lyn. Im with Maggie. Pic 10 is great, but then again. the rest are good too. Love all the work you are doing for our benefit. I was just about to say thanks again, but you must be tired of me saying it, so this time, TA. Barry.

thanks again all....i will continue then until you say..STOP LYN WEVE HAD ENOUGH !!!!! lol

wendy have you read the farm st thread...i know you had rellies living there so please feel free to take up my offer if you think i can be of help....
lyn:)

pict 4 ....i like this one.....love the old lamp in the garden....sorry about the letters on it there was nothing i could do about it.....

pic is of minnie faulkener...wenman st...june 1962

Attachments

• img091_renamed_14198_28129[1].jpg
    img091_renamed_14198_28129[1].jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
frothy...how do you do that ??? no its ok dont answer that...its bound to be far to technical for me...lol...

just noticed i have fogotten to put the location...will go back and edit...

cheers:)

With reference to the post detailing facts in World War 11 about Birmingham casualties and damage suffered during the German bombing raids it was reported that 2000+ 'brummies' died 1940-'44. I agree with the comment by Astoness 'how did they ever cope'?
At the same time in only 3 days of Allied bombing raids, February 13th-15th,1945 25,000 'Dresdenites' died. Again one has to ask'how did they ever cope?'
The image is 'Peace' sculpture overlooking Dresden.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• dresden2.JPG
    dresden2.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 17
hi gham...thats why in my post i put (how devasting war is)..in every country that was involved in the wars there were houses..factories...streets...churches...moms..dads..children etc..its such a shame that the world has not learned anything from it:(....thanks for posting your pic....it serves as yet another reminder...

lyn

Loved the picture of the old lady it reminds me of my Nan, she wore a pinafore like that as did most women in those days.

Thank you again Lyn for your time and effort :2006::2006::2006:

david...its not physical work..more mental...(now now no funny comments..lol

rowan...i too think of my nan when i see pics like that...all the ladies seem to have the same pinnies....

On March 22 1993, the Mail published an insert called "Old Brum on the Move", which covered Golden Days of Trams, Motoring Memories, Rebirth of The Canals and All Change on the Buses. (Cost 50p!!).
As it is a full page newspaper, at the moment I"m not sure how I'm going to be able to scan it. It is 32 pages and quite full of fabulous pictures.
There's an ad in it for a model Ladywood Tram £14.99 - I wonder if they would still send me one if I sent in for it.. LOL.
Does anyone one else have a copy of this?

frothy...how do you do that ??? no its ok dont answer that...its bound to be far to technical for me...lol...

just noticed i have fogotten to put the location...will go back and edit...

cheers:)

Just Paint shop Pro,clone and paint and shear brilliance:D

hi tardbigge. im a bit busy today but will have a look to see if i have that copy of the mail later on...

frothy....you are ever the comedian....lol

Did you ever watch the workmen???
This picture shows a group of yoingsters watching the instalation of a phone-line in Colmore Row. 1908.

Attachments

• img554~0[1].jpg
    img554~0[1].jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 21
Stich, my first office in Brum was just down from there. But it was a bit later than your pic! Digging up the street was still going on though!

More memories eh. Can you imagine kids today being interested in such a thing.

I suppose with humour, although it would not have been funny at the time, this could be seen as the forunner to the modern launderette. It is a communal washhouse.

Attachments

• wash house.jpg
    wash house.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 24
Great piccies Astoness, don't know where any of them are but its great to see them and brings back memories as my gt. grandparents lived in a back house off Lichfield Road
Denise

hi all... ive scanned a few more pics...i also forgot to say that the evening mails belong to our kid...ive just borrowed them off him.....

this first one is of a lone poiceman..i love this one...

Attachments

• img097_renamed_7447~0[1].jpg
    img097_renamed_7447~0[1].jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 24
pict 5 Bristol street..1952

Attachments

• Edgbaston Bristol St 1952.jpg
    Edgbaston Bristol St 1952.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 20
pict 6 Bristol St Horsefair 1952

Attachments

• Horsefair Bristol St 1952.jpg
    Horsefair Bristol St 1952.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 24
Lyn. You know by now exactly what I think. Loving every one of them. You really are a gem. Barry.

Back