• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This is Pershore Road Stirchley in 1972, fine selection of shops with their blinds down, and a variety of brickwork, window edging and eaves. On the right is the rear of a Triumph Herald disappearing.

View attachment 156398
Love this one!… To the left of the F.Richards sign is the last letter “s” of the old green and gold leaf letters of the HOVIS sign that used to be above the local bakers shop... Sold some of the best bread and meat pies in Brum... Evening Mail once ran a photo during the bread shortage of the late 70’s showing a long queue of Brummies outside these shops waiting patiently in line for their daily loaf... Now once again Stirchley has its own Artisan Bakery LOAF but after 40 years I can still mentally taste those lovely fresh hot steak and kidneys from the HOVIS shop followed by a fresh bread ham roll chaser... YUMMY!!!

Last edited:
This is Plume Street Long Acre in 1978, fine old building Veritys, and another property with a Lucas Sign, busy road scene with the rear of a Hillman Imp.

View attachment 156396
I found the corner of Plume Street but the perspective looked wrong as the building top left looked too far away. So you have two views one from the corner and one further along. I leave you to decide which is best.

Attachments

• Corner Plume Street - Long Acre - 2021.JPG
    Corner Plume Street - Long Acre - 2021.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Plume Street - Long Acre - 2021.JPG
    Plume Street - Long Acre - 2021.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 18
This is 2 Holyhead Road in 1975, metal framed sash windows and a Vauxhall Viva in Kashmir Yellow - well my dads one was and it looks similar colour!! Metal street signs and an old Lampost.

View attachment 156434

I had a temp job for two weeks working in the office there!
The (then) young Mr Hodgson asked if I could take a letter - had to say I didn't know shorthand so he spoke very slowly so I could write it longhand!!

62 Ninevah Road in 1975, interesting couple of shops, VJ Brazier electronic - Every Ready Battery sign and a neon advert in the window and proudly advertising all that they could repair, next door but unfortunately For Sale Gees Beauty Salon with West Indian and European Hair Styles. Ford Cortina parked out the front.62 Ninevah Road - 75.jpg

I had a temp job for two weeks working in the office there!
The (then) young Mr Hodgson asked if I could take a letter - had to say I didn't know shorthand so he spoke very slowly so I could write it longhand!!
Those are the bits of information I enjoy, glad it brought back memories!!

This is the railway bridge on or over Landor Street in 1969, note that the first bridge has no height sign on it , love the overhead crane on the right and the second railway bridge in the distance. Few bits on the railway, signal post and telephone posts, the telephone post in the yard on the left with a light bracket.
Now if we look down the road we see some men working in the road - note the high viz jackets and barriers? no me neither a few scattered cones was good enough. Love the AEC lorry and the car on the pavement next to it.

Bridge 154 Landor Street - 69.jpg

Finally another set of advert boards on Pershore road again in 1972, a few adverts you don't see anymore and the price of cigarettes 18p!. Nothing much to give the location away although there is a name above the shop on the right of the adverts but I cannot make it out.7 Pershore Road - 72.jpg

138 Birmingham Road Sutton Coldfield 1976, its own Land rover sat in front and a studded door. Extended roof line down to above the door and an interesting garage with weather vane
138 Birmingham Road Sutton Coldfield 1976, its own Land rover sat in front and a studded door. Extended roof line down to above the door and an interesting garage with weather vane.

View attachment 156435
These properties were demolished a couple of years ago, there now stands a care home in their place.

Here is another one of the aerial view that we have trouble locating!!,
Clue is the canal across the top, lot of new build flats with back to backs on the bottom right, I am thinking the road coming in at the top is St Vincent Street? Over to you

View attachment 156382
Chamberlain Gardens and the road on the right between the buildings Francis Road and the new build in the middle could be maisonettes.

Attachments

• 53 Huntly Road Edgbaston.JPG
    53 Huntly Road Edgbaston.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 12
Think it says "barbers shop" which is not exactly helpful. o_O
Janet, not sure, but driving past twice a day for twenty five years it's in the sub conscious could it be where Ten Acres End is now? Can you find a barbers shop in your Kelly's? Approx 1084 Pershore Rd.?

Janet, not sure, but driving past twice a day for twenty five years it's in the sub conscious could it be where Ten Acres End is now? Can you find a barbers shop in your Kelly's? Approx 1084 Pershore Rd.?
Can't see a barbers in 1967 Kelly's at 1084
In 1967 1084 was A.H. Gorman, Fried Fish dlr
Shot here shows 1094 end house, this is where Ten Acres End is now (thanks to devonjim's post)

1094 pershore rd.png

Last edited:
Can't see a barbers in 1967 Kelly's at 1084
In 1967 1084 was A.H. Gorman, Fried Fish dlr
Shot here shows 1094 end house, this is where Ten Acres End is now (thanks to devonjim's post)

View attachment 156443
I think it might be a bit further down the road. (1136) I think the shop itself has gone but the house next to it remains, If you look at the markings over the door and windows they look the same. Still hoardings there today.

Attachments

• 7 Pershore Road - 2021.JPG
    7 Pershore Road - 2021.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 14
This is 2 Holyhead Road in 1975, metal framed sash windows and a Vauxhall Viva in Kashmir Yellow - well my dads one was and it looks similar colour!! Metal street signs and an old Lampost.

View attachment 156434
As far as I can tell this is the corner of Oakland Road. The funeral directors has changed but the house to the left remains.

Attachments

• 2 Holyhead Road- 2021.JPG
    2 Holyhead Road- 2021.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 12
138 Birmingham Road Sutton Coldfield 1976, its own Land rover sat in front and a studded door. Extended roof line down to above the door and an interesting garage with weather vane.

View attachment 156435
This is a case of now you see it and now you don't. There in 2018 but gone by 2019.

Attachments

• 138 Birmingham Road SC -2018.JPG
    138 Birmingham Road SC -2018.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 16
  • 138 Birmingham Road SC -2021.JPG
    138 Birmingham Road SC -2021.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 16
62 Ninevah Road in 1975, interesting couple of shops, VJ Brazier electronic - Every Ready Battery sign and a neon advert in the window and proudly advertising all that they could repair, next door but unfortunately For Sale Gees Beauty Salon with West Indian and European Hair Styles. Ford Cortina parked out the front.View attachment 156436
Both now houses. Two pics one 2008 when it is in need of TLC and the other the latest view.

Attachments

• 62 Ninevah Road - 2008.JPG
    62 Ninevah Road - 2008.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 62 Ninevah Road - 2021.JPG
    62 Ninevah Road - 2021.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the tip. You were, I think, just up the road but I wouldn't have found it without your hint. I don't have access to recent Kelly's although perhaps RobT can check for us.

Last edited:
This is the railway bridge on or over Landor Street in 1969, note that the first bridge has no height sign on it , love the overhead crane on the right and the second railway bridge in the distance. Few bits on the railway, signal post and telephone posts, the telephone post in the yard on the left with a light bracket.
Now if we look down the road we see some men working in the road - note the high viz jackets and barriers? no me neither a few scattered cones was good enough. Love the AEC lorry and the car on the pavement next to it.

View attachment 156437
I wasn't sure as it looks as if the bridge has been replaced so we have the sign as well.

Attachments

• Bridge 154 Landor Street - 2021.JPG
    Bridge 154 Landor Street - 2021.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Bridge 154 Landor Street - notice.JPG
    Bridge 154 Landor Street - notice.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 21
Here is another one of the aerial view that we have trouble locating!!,
Clue is the canal across the top, lot of new build flats with back to backs on the bottom right, I am thinking the road coming in at the top is St Vincent Street? Over to you

View attachment 156382
I have added some street names to the original picture to help pinpoint its location, hard to recognise the old area from the mass demolition that has taken place. I hope this helps.Test339.jpg

Back