• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Another edit this time showing Elizabeth Fry House and Collett House viewed from Ladywood Middleway. Their location was opposite Ladywood Police Station and Ladywood Social Club. Both blocks of maisonettes have now been demolished and replaced with new housing. Test339 2.jpg

Last edited:

Landor Street railway bridge. The shiny black car with a Smethwick number plate from 1960/1 is a Ford Consul Mk2, the van disappearing up the road is a Ford 5/7cwt based on the then current Anglia, a little bit of one of those is just seen behind the opening on the left, and the larger van facing the camera is a Commer Walkthru.

Last edited:
I know this one - Icknield Street bottom left leading to Ladywood Middleway across to top right. Amazing to see how much had gone to make way for the development, but also even those building saved have now been knocked down. Indoor Arena where the buildings by the railway are. Factories bottom left are now apartments probably

Test340 1.jpg

Front of house looks right, but chimneys are quite different.
I did notice that but a lot of chimneys seem to have had things done to them now so many are not used.
I did find planning permission dated 1968 for the advertising boards by 1134 Pershore Road but nothing else.
Trouble is if all the houses have gone it will be impossible to locate.

Here we have J R Richards on Saltley Road in 1975. Love the tall building in the background with a variety of styles of window as well as so many ways of blocking them up. Note the proximity to the gasworks - would those have been the ones in the Villa Colours?
Interesting the building has a clock in the front window - nice selection of cars in the car park too.

Saltley Road- 75.jpg

23a Alvechurch Road West Heath 1970, so much to see - garage on the left with a light outside and a camper style van for sale £655. Rover on the left, love the sign on the shoe shop, non of your national chains here. Hairdressers above the shops, and a GR post box with a post office sign on top. Finishing off with a Vauxhall on the right

23A Alvechurch Rd WH - 70.jpg

Here we have J R Richards on Saltley Road in 1975. Love the tall building in the background with a variety of styles of window as well as so many ways of blocking them up. Note the proximity to the gasworks - would those have been the ones in the Villa Colours?
Interesting the building has a clock in the front window - nice selection of cars in the car park too.

View attachment 156471
Still J H Richards in Aug 2017 but was up for sale by Oct 2018. The building is still there but used by another firm.
The older building behind is still there but not in a good state.

Attachments

• Saltley Road- 2021.JPG
    Saltley Road- 2021.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Saltley Road-second building.JPG
    Saltley Road-second building.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 28
The Garden House Hagley Road in 1972, one of those anonymous hotels, it has a Cricketers Bar and only a few cars in the car park. Old style bus stop sign on the pavement.

View attachment 156472
It is still there and now a Chef and Brewer - I know someone who goes there for meals and says it is very good - you need to book as it seems quite popular (well - before lockdown that was).
Two views one showing the white pillars and one showing the front (that was 2019 so I could avoid too many leaves blocking the view).

Attachments

• The Garden House  Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    The Garden House Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 15
  • The Garden House  Hagley Road - close up.JPG
    The Garden House Hagley Road - close up.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 15
23a Alvechurch Road West Heath 1970, so much to see - garage on the left with a light outside and a camper style van for sale £655. Rover on the left, love the sign on the shoe shop, non of your national chains here. Hairdressers above the shops, and a GR post box with a post office sign on top. Finishing off with a Vauxhall on the right

View attachment 156474
Shops have changed but the post office still exists but in the "Premier" store. Still a pillar box outside but this one says "EIIR". Still a garage but a very different building.

Attachments

• 23A Alvechurch Rd WH - 2021.JPG
    23A Alvechurch Rd WH - 2021.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 23A Alvechurch Rd WH - garage.JPG
    23A Alvechurch Rd WH - garage.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 21
I know this one - Icknield Street bottom left leading to Ladywood Middleway across to top right. Amazing to see how much had gone to make way for the development, but also even those building saved have now been knocked down. Indoor Arena where the buildings by the railway are. Factories bottom left are now apartments probably

View attachment 156468
excellent overhead shot steve..can just see the spire of spring hill library and my beloved spring hill rollar rink sadly no more...do you have a date for this one

lyn

excellent overhead shot steve..can just see the spire of spring hill library and my beloved spring hill rollar rink sadly no more...do you have a date for this one

lyn
Hi Astoness,
I am afraid not when I and others recycled the pictures we never thought to pick up the book with the details - if there was one!

View attachment 156468
Another great picture.

I can see Pruden's the barbers, can you?
I have had my hair cut there many times.

Back