• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

2 York Road Erdington from 1970, office supplies with a christmas club. THere are a few slates loose on the roof, but like the window arches and the downpipe next door. Does anywhere sell typewriters and ribbons today? . Interesting that the door on the right is the Provincial Building Society. Ford Anglia parked outside.

2 York Road Erd. -70.jpg

As we managed to strike lucky and make Lyn's day thought I would post another aerial view, as always these are slides with no date of location - clues school top right, lots of close or terrace and it may have been a Monday because of all the washing out. Top left distinctive corner building and in the middle is a building with ornamental brickwork.

View attachment 156250
no idea as yet of this location steve...will study if in more detail later but so far nothing is jumping out at me

72 -74 Shadwell Street 1969, traditional office, metal window frames, nice selection of cars on the left, centro offices at the rear. Plenty of building work going on around

View attachment 156251
Thought this looked familiar. It is still there but is now home to St Chad's Sanctuary - working with asylum seekers.

Attachments

• 72 -74 Shadwell Street - 2021.JPG
    72 -74 Shadwell Street - 2021.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 13
2 York Road Erdington from 1970, office supplies with a christmas club. THere are a few slates loose on the roof, but like the window arches and the downpipe next door. Does anywhere sell typewriters and ribbons today? . Interesting that the door on the right is the Provincial Building Society. Ford Anglia parked outside.

View attachment 156252

Attachments

• 2 York Road Erd. -2021.JPG
    2 York Road Erd. -2021.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 16
This is 1-3 Hobmoor Road in 1973, selection of buildings and a Hitachi advert on the end wall, and a hardware store next door . Love the brickwork under the eaves, and the coping stones and a little chimney at the rear.

View attachment 156253
A couple of views here - one from 2016 showing some ghost signs over the shop front. (Will post on ghost sign thread as well). Other is the most recent and it looks as if the signs have been painted over.

Attachments

• 1-3 Hobmoor Road - 2021.JPG
    1-3 Hobmoor Road - 2021.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 1-3 Hobmoor Road - ghost.JPG
    1-3 Hobmoor Road - ghost.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 29
Just to find Janice a challenge, this is Tameside Drive in 1983, amazing how quickly areas change although it is nearly 40 years ago, few clues pylon and a few tower blocks although may have gone now. And a horse grazing !

View attachment 156254
Thanks for the challenge Steve. :D :rolleyes:
There are plenty of pylons but no tower blocks. I know I am facing the right way - always a challenge - as the houses visible in front of the tower blocks are there - you just can't see them because of all the industrial units. I took a guess at the point where the pylon looked about right then had to go back a year to avoid all the lorries blocking the shot. However, there were several points which could have fitted. In the end I chose these two as they weren't obscured by trees. If anyone knows better then I won't be offended if you post a different view.

Attachments

• Tameside Drive  - 2021 a.JPG
    Tameside Drive - 2021 a.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Tameside Drive  - 2021 b.JPG
    Tameside Drive - 2021 b.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks for the challenge Steve. :D :rolleyes:
There are plenty of pylons but no tower blocks. I know I am facing the right way - always a challenge - as the houses visible in front of the tower blocks are there - you just can't see them because of all the industrial units. I took a guess at the point where the pylon looked about right p then had to go back a year to avoid all the lorries blocking the shot. However, there were several points which could have fitted. In the end I chose these two as they weren't obscured by trees. If anyone knows better then I won't be offended if you post a different view.
Thats the place I know the tower blocks were demolished yeas ago which doesn't help, I will try to find another for you ;)

How about 3 Deykin Avenue in 1973. sorry had to be done if not today another !! :joy: View attachment 156274
It might say "3 Deykin Avenue" but that is a house which looks as if it has been there a while. However, it is not a road I know but an interesting one. One side is all terraced housing but the other is all factory wall - well almost the whole length - there is a roller shutter door and some windows part way along.
I think the picture is probably of the building opposite number 3 (unless there is another Deykin Avenue I haven't found). If I travel round the corner to Brookvale Road then I can see the side of the factory buildings and they are all metal clad - but I suspect the photo could even have been taken inside the compound. There are a lot of applications for planning to extend the factory so it has probably changed quite a bit since the original photo was taken.
Any good?

Attachments

• 3 Deykin Avenue - 2021.JPG
    3 Deykin Avenue - 2021.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Deykin Avenue - 2021.JPG
    Deykin Avenue - 2021.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 14
  • Deykin Avenue side view - 2021.JPG
    Deykin Avenue side view - 2021.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 15
  • Deykin Avenue aerial - 2021.JPG
    Deykin Avenue aerial - 2021.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It might say "3 Deykin Avenue" but that is a house which looks as if it has been there a while. However, it is not a road I know but an interesting one. One side is all terraced housing but the other is all factory wall - well almost the whole length - there is a roller shutter door and some windows part way along.
I think the picture is probably of the building opposite number 3 (unless there is another Deykin Avenue I haven't found). If I travel round the corner to Brookvale Road then I can see the side of the factory buildings and they are all metal clad - but I suspect the photo could even have been taken inside the compound. There are a lot of applications for planning to extend the factory so it has probably changed quite a bit since the original photo was taken.
Any good?
Just looked on the back of the photo again it says Walsall Conduits 3 Deykin Avenue, as they usually put the nearest recognisable address I am sure your photos were spot on - thanks

Your "Does anyone still sell typewriters?" question came as a coincidence for me Steve, I just today bought some ribbons on Ebay for an old friend who, although she's had a laptop still prefers her Brother portable typewriter. :)

Your "Does anyone still sell typewriters?" question came as a coincidence for me Steve, I just today bought some ribbons on Ebay for an old friend who, although she's had a laptop still prefers her Brother portable typewriter. :)
I know some typewriters had a white out tape as well, I remember typing up my Uni work on a typewriter took hours and used dozens of those little white out bits of paper!! thanks

I know some typewriters had a white out tape as well, I remember typing up my Uni work on a typewriter took hours and used dozens of those little white out bits of paper!! thanks
think yourself lucky steve...i was taught on one of these great old machines i can still hear in my head the distinctive clunk clunk sound of the keys...just for the heck of it i bought an old smith corona portable a few years back from a car boot...50p

lyn

royal typewriter.jpg

A couple of views here - one from 2016 showing some ghost signs over the shop front. (Will post on ghost sign thread as well). Other is the most recent and it looks as if the signs have been painted over.
I think the opening used originally to be the rear delivery entrance to a Co-op grocers and a butchers on the corner of Green Lane. The 16/28 bus stop marked was where the bookies runner stood sometimes to take bets before it became legal!

Here is another one of the aerial view that we have trouble locating!!,
Clue is the canal across the top, lot of new build flats with back to backs on the bottom right, I am thinking the road coming in at the top is St Vincent Street? Over to you

EDIT: For the answer check Bob Johnson #1409 and Dave Rileys replies at #1439 & #1441 , great work both.

Test339 1.jpg

Last edited:
Another photo with a Canal, winter with ice and snow, clue this time is the name on the chimney which is over Soho Pool believe. Lovely industrial scene with metal framed windows and doors for deliveries from the canal.
For the location check Pedrocut's reply at #1411.

Test155 1.jpg

Last edited:
Clue is the canal across the top, lot of new build flats with back to backs on the bottom right, I am thinking the road coming in at the top is St Vincent Street? Over to you

View attachment 156382
steve i have no idea on this one...below is scottish maps which may help identify just move the blue dot back and forth for what is there now...

View attachment 156382
Another long shot on my behalf here.
Look at the attached pic.
X........Ledsam street junction?
A........St John's church ?
Line between the two..........Monument road?

Attachments

• Monument.png
    Monument.png
    363.8 KB · Views: 28
Back