• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Here we have J R Richards on Saltley Road in 1975. Love the tall building in the background with a variety of styles of window as well as so many ways of blocking them up. Note the proximity to the gasworks - would those have been the ones in the Villa Colours?
Interesting the building has a clock in the front window - nice selection of cars in the car park too.

View attachment 156471
I have visited this place many times to have crankshafts reground and cylinders bored. One of the last companies in Birmingham to offer 'white metal' machining. There is a video I'm sure of the inside of this factory.

Both these shots have what is/was the position of The Vine public house on the left. The Let By sign is where the cinema used to be as I remember.
I lived in the first property in Victoria Street which was side on to the rear of the newsagents and sweetshop in Green Lane and we looked across to the side of Green Lane Picture House.... Again, happy days!
Annie

Two views - one of which I think includes your home Annie
Wonderful! can't thank you enough, Janice.
That's it, 56 Victoria Street... I was there from 1952 to 1968, then moved to Yardley. I'm a long way away now... Dorset... but so proud and glad of my time growing up in Victoria Street... set me up for life.... best times ever - made me the person I am today.
Once again, many thanks to all involved in this thread.
Annie.

The substation is still there.. I used to climb up onto the flat roof to read and sunbathe.

Last edited:
I remember this site when it was 'Colmore Depot BMC commercial vehicles'. The garage was next to 'Tucker Eyelets'. I think the garage in a previous life belonged to the 'Danish Bacon Co'. At the back of the workshops were the original smoking rooms and chimneys, one of which I think is in the picture.
Didn't they go all up market and call themselves Tucker Fasteners ? !

That's it, 56 Victoria Street... I was there from 1952 to 1968, then moved to Yardley. I'm a long way away now... Dorset... but so proud and glad of my time growing up in Victoria Street... set me up for life.... best times ever - made me the person I am today.
Annie.

The substation is still there.. I used to climb up onto the flat roof to read and sunbathe.

Annie.

This has been a really interesting thread for me also. Particularly enjoyed the before and after photographs of this junction and how even though a few old buildings have been demolished on one corner and the new building line pushed back there has basically been very little change of structures for probably 50 years at least. Even the billboards are still there. The cinema and the pub are repurposed. The inner circle bus stop is in the same place. I remember a small Irish club next to the cinema. Tinpot

Two views - one of which I think includes your home Annie
My take on this picture. What was Green Lane Cinema the white building on far left. Little else remains on this side of the road. The Vine junction where the No 8 crossed the 15A&B routes back in the 1950's.

Attachments

• Screenshot (380).png
    Screenshot (380).png
    946.2 KB · Views: 15
I have visited this place many times to have crankshafts reground and cylinders bored. One of the last companies in Birmingham to offer 'white metal' machining. There is a video I'm sure of the inside of this factory.
The building behind Richards is very interesting. It looks like it was built for a very specific purpose with the chimney and high roof vents. Then the external hopper at the other end. Very nice brickwork too. Does it still exist?

The building behind Richards is very interesting. It looks like it was built for a very specific purpose with the chimney and high roof vents. Then the external hopper at the other end. Very nice brickwork too. Does it still exist?
It was originally a brewery, though went through many later incarnations. It is still there, though very dilapidated

Back