• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

396 Stratford Road - 1974, lots on the building to like , the eaves, brickwork to the corners, the little first floor bay and the tops to the second floor windows, also note the ornamental brickwork on the building top left, and Payne shoe repairs next door. anyone know how long Pukka Pies have been going over 45 years judging by this sign!!

View attachment 153446
A lonely shop now as Paynes has gone. I remember this shop just up from the Warwick Road junction where the Mermaid Pub stood (still there but no longer the Mermaid).
1614099207661.png

Good morning quick one before I forget, on a forum - yes that vague - someone mentioned Lyon Tea house on New Street and I said I had a photo, well here it is 2 New Street in 1970, plenty of people inside and plenty of shoe shops to choose from, note the small boy clutching his bag from the Co Op window what he brought?

2 New Street - 70.jpg

396 Stratford Road - 1974, lots on the building to like , the eaves, brickwork to the corners, the little first floor bay and the tops to the second floor windows, also note the ornamental brickwork on the building top left, and Payne shoe repairs next door. anyone know how long Pukka Pies have been going over 45 years judging by this sign!!

View attachment 153446
Pukka have made pies since 1963

Good morning quick one before I forget, on a forum - yes that vague - someone mentioned Lyon Tea house on New Street and I said I had a photo, well here it is 2 New Street in 1970, plenty of people inside and plenty of shoe shops to choose from, note the small boy clutching his bag from the Co Op window what he brought?

View attachment 153468
Great photo Steve. Thank you. I loved it in the tea shop. Was there another J. Lyons further up New Street? Miss all the shoe shops too. Sue

Today I am tidying a few loose ends these are scans of gaps in rows, streetscene etc

First in 1974 we have 483 Coventry Road, note the chimneys on the rear of the Flamingo and the holes in the wall where the joists of the old building were, also the old Ford Capri and the Ideal Benefit office

483 Coventry Road 74.jpg

This Dogpool Lane and Pershore Road with St. Stephens Road Opposite, Note the Ansells Pub on the corner and the Compressor seems to have been left also note the "roadworks " only has cones round it. The white rectangle on the buidling presumably had a sign there at one time.

Pershore Rd Dogpool Lane 78.jpg

Yes, the old dance hall - now an Asian banqueting place - is half way on the right hand edge of the pic, but just missed the old Springfield Cinema, converted to a furniture store and empty again last year. (Post #373)

Maurice :cool:

View attachment 153468
Saxone were at 1 New street a site now occupied by J D Sports. As Burton occupy 4 and 5 this means the J Lyons shop was also part of J D Sports

Attachments

• 2 New Street -2021.JPG
    2 New Street -2021.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 16
Today I am tidying a few loose ends these are scans of gaps in rows, streetscene etc

First in 1974 we have 483 Coventry Road, note the chimneys on the rear of the Flamingo and the holes in the wall where the joists of the old building were, also the old Ford Capri and the Ideal Benefit office

View attachment 153477
The "Cake Box" occupies the premises which were the Flamingo,

Attachments

• 483 Coventry Road 2021.JPG
    483 Coventry Road 2021.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 21
Stratford Road / School Lane Hall Green in 1976, builder merchants on the corner probably all changed

View attachment 153482
If I had known I could have taken a better picture this morning when I turned onto Stratford Road. Site is now Kwikfit and the building on the right was "The Shoes" - actually called The Horseshoe. It was leased out by the brewery but after trouble at the former wacky warehouse building has been permanently closed since before lockdown began.

Attachments

• Stratford Road School Road 2021.JPG
    Stratford Road School Road 2021.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 9
This Dogpool Lane and Pershore Road with St. Stephens Road Opposite, Note the Ansells Pub on the corner and the Compressor seems to have been left also note the "roadworks " only has cones round it. The white rectangle on the buidling presumably had a sign there at one time.

View attachment 153479

Yes the good Old Dogpool originally, then renamed The Hibernian , I had many a good few games of darts in there and pints when it was The Dogpool as my Brother in law used to use it . Both he and my Sister lived lived just up the road from here . I remember one night we were playing darts a game named Shanghai , I had to borrow one of the local chaps darts as I'd left mine at home there was about nine of us and we'd all put a tanner down . I happened to win the game and the money , the chap who's darts I'd borrowed went ballistic , "The next time you come bring your own ******* darts " Happy Days indeed

View attachment 153477
think i can also see an old fireplace steve

Steve here,
I had the fortune to work with the great Geoff Thompson at Birmingham planning department when they were clearing out their offices, I also came across the same selection of photos and slides that were been thrown out and could only work out later why the number of pictures kept reducing and often panicked me that actually someone needed the pictures!!
As you may be aware the black and white pictures were used for advert applications, colour slide were for urban regeneration comparison.
I have 100+ colour slide and 300+ black and white pictures, these have occasionally been used in local history books and for study purposes.
I have started scanning the photos and hope to post a selection on the appropriate pages - I have attached a sample from the selection of corner shops many no longer exist and include the many old adverts and vehicles from the age - the one I have attached is 121 Borsesley Green from 1974
Hopefully you will enjoy my posts
Steve
Keep them coming Steve.

Stratford Rd/School Rd corner was certainly a lawn mower sales & service place after the war. Not too sure about the Qualcast name though, that sounds a bit modern to me. The pub was The Three Horseshoes.
John

Edit: Acme?? Edit 2 Atco, they also had a place at Wooton Wawen.

Last edited:
I have vague memories of "garden paraphernalia" being for sale on that corner.
By the way although often referred to as the Horseshoes or Three Horseshoes I think it was actually "The Horseshoe".
1940 Kelly's entry
1614244002306.png
also see here; Horseshoe especially post 9

Last edited:
Back