• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

74 Charles Road , 1973, so much atmosphere, love the car on the shop front , the poster for Tommy, the bananas hanging up in the window and if you look closely you can see that it is a Muslim Butcher. Do you think Hasam and Sons is the original name?- Yes I did forget the photo, thanks Janice74 Charles Road - 73 x.jpg

Last edited:
This one is not what it seems 134 Green Lane Small Heath, what looks like and Ansells pub on first look is a corner shop, note the ice cream advert and the masons pop and if you look through the door there seems to be sweet jars on the shelf. Love that the ansells signs are still there- my photo says 134 but just to the right of the door is a little plaque which says 130 I believe.

134 Green Lane Small Heath 1974.jpg

138 Wattville Road in 1975 , clothes shop on the corner which seems to have no sign, interesting that the top dog sign is so large. House next door looks nice and tidy and with what looks like the remains of a sign on the front. It also hold on to its privit hedge.

138 Wattville Road - 75.jpg

Wow Crowthers ! Post #306 - that’s made my day. I loved that shop and I’ve never seen a photo of the shop anywhere. Thanks so much.

And Janice’s post in #312 confirms what we discussed in the Crowthers thread. Thanks. Viv.

never say never viv thank goodness steve saved these photos from the skip...i knew they would be a hit :)

lyn

never say never viv thank goodness steve saved these photos from the skip...i knew they would be a hit :)

lyn
Okay so I am now aware that there are threads for specific shops, do you want to throw a few names and locations out there, I have a run up both sides of Corporation street, and a few in New Street, I am not going to go through all the threads to find these names. You have seen the location of the corner shops - I have a number of shop pictures from those locations as well as a few hotels down the Hagley road, see what I can do

Steve do you have any from Hockley?
The only shots are the city end of the flyover and a picture near the bus garage, there are a few in the slides but these are not titled, and I think one of Peoples Chapel Great King Street.
If you want to throw in a street name I will have a look
Steve

This one is not what it seems 134 Green Lane Small Heath, what looks like and Ansells pub on first look is a corner shop, note the ice cream advert and the masons pop and if you look through the door there seems to be sweet jars on the shelf. Love that the ansells signs are still there- my photo says 134 but just to the right of the door is a little plaque which says 130 I believe.

View attachment 153361

To confirm, the off licence was 130

The only shots are the city end of the flyover and a picture near the bus garage, there are a few in the slides but these are not titled, and I think one of Peoples Chapel Great King Street.
Steve
hi steve my neck o the woods as well so all of those you mentioned would be great to see when time permits re the untitled photos if you can post those we maybe able to put a title to them.....thanks

lyn

Steve
Ford Street, Whitmore Street, Heaton Street, Gt King Street, Unett Street - to name a few. Most grateful Steve

View attachment 153361
We had 128 Green Lane earlier in this thread and this was on the opposite corner. As Mike said actually 130. Also now gone.
1614009570186.png

138 Wattville Road in 1975 , clothes shop on the corner which seems to have no sign, interesting that the top dog sign is so large. House next door looks nice and tidy and with what looks like the remains of a sign on the front. It also hold on to its privit hedge.

View attachment 153362
House next door now has front door bricked up. Also corner shop seems to have taken over shop next door.
1614009951401.png

396 Stratford Road - 1974, lots on the building to like , the eaves, brickwork to the corners, the little first floor bay and the tops to the second floor windows, also note the ornamental brickwork on the building top left, and Payne shoe repairs next door. anyone know how long Pukka Pies have been going over 45 years judging by this sign!!

396 Stratford Road - 74.jpg

116 Eversley Road- 1974 not sure this is a cafe it got in the wrong pile. Brooke Bond Tea sign on the wall and a small Midland Counties ice cream sign at the front, sticker in the window mensions BEV any ideas. Not forgetting the Bedford Estate at the front.

View attachment 153443
As far as I can tell all this road has gone. The part where this property was is still a building site.
1614096536838.png

178 Alcester Road 1970, not really looking at the fish shop, more the J.J Gallagher pick up, and the old style JCB on the site. red pen shows the new location of an advert panel - its usually chinagraph so I can remove it !! Note the ornamental eaves on the building.

View attachment 153444
Moseley
Still called Kingfisher and the land on the right is now a car park which I have used numerous times. The church is still visible but behind the trees.
1614097052245.png

Last edited:
116 Eversley Road- 1974 not sure this is a cafe it got in the wrong pile. Brooke Bond Tea sign on the wall and a small Midland Counties ice cream sign at the front, sticker in the window mensions BEV any ideas. Not forgetting the Bedford Estate at the front.

View attachment 153443
It is listed in Kellys as a shop run by Mrs Maud Watson till 1955, but in 1956 just listed as a house occupied by George Watson

Last edited:
Back