• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

All these old photo's take me back to the1960's when all those old streets were still around, it was from around then that the council began a systematic project to destroy everything and replace it with concrete.

See this photo of Little Bow street, just off Bristol street, it looks almost Dickensian and I used to walk up it to my first job in Bow street in 1961. within a few months it was gone forever along with the adjoining Catholic church and schoolView attachment 184457
Just found out my 3 x great grand parents lived at 4 Little Bow street - such a lovely photo thank you for sharing. x

We now move onto Roll 38 and this is very much a mystery roll - there are pictures with vague titles, photos of pictures and pictures from books - some have titles but then where are they from? All of them are of interest and hope you can assist in identifying locations and sources.

So the first image is Beadman and Sons shop, there is the old sign on the corner frontage, blinds on the shop windows, sash windows and decorative coping stones on he top of the roof. Are there any offers on a location?

EDIT - Pedrocut has come along with 53 Riland Road, Sutton Coldfield, all matches - thankyou

20230108152303_02.jpg

Last edited:
The next picture is more a close up of the van although we can see more of the shop and house down the road. Very much an old terraced street with the small front space, wooden fence. Some of the houses have been modernised with an enclosed porch although we still have the arched window frames and sash windows. The picture and the one previous were taken in December 1990

20230108152303_03.jpg

Next picture suggests the Jewellery Quarter and after a bit of Googling I came up with Frank Clissold Ltd, 94 Vyse Street, Birmingham, Love the line of properties, all double fronted, with pilllars either side of the door, and with an arched window above the door upstairs. I assume next doors bay windows were an addition and would have looked like the other building previously. I also presume that all the building had small front walls to enclose the frontage.

20230108152303_05.jpg

With this photo I have taken a shot in the dark and included the information on my list - assuming I have tied the right picture and text !!
Old Building in Frederick Street and Regent Street., - an massive manufacturing building, massive metal farmed windows downstairs and less ornate windows upstairs, lots of iron work around the front and the doors on the side are ornate across their tops too. Unfortunatly I can only make out " Thomas" on the side, my fault trying to lighten the front to see more detail but over doing the side so we lost the name .
20230108152303_07.jpg

We now move onto Roll 38 and this is very much a mystery roll - there are pictures with vague titles, photos of pictures and pictures from books - some have titles but then where are they from? All of them are of interest and hope you can assist in identifying locations and sources.

So the first image is Beadman and Sons shop, there is the old sign on the corner frontage, blinds on the shop windows, sash windows and decorative coping stones on he top of the roof. Are there any offers on a location?

View attachment 192382

53 Riland Road, Sutton Coldfield ?

IMG_0620.jpeg

With this photo I have taken a shot in the dark and included the information on my list - assuming I have tied the right picture and text !!
Old Building in Frederick Street and Regent Street., - an massive manufacturing building, massive metal farmed windows downstairs and less ornate windows upstairs, lots of iron work around the front and the doors on the side are ornate across their tops too. Unfortunatly I can only make out " Thomas" on the side, my fault trying to lighten the front to see more detail but over doing the side so we lost the name .
View attachment 192386

Maybe Thomas Fattorini, Regent Street.

another guess here with Regent Street and Vittoria Street although I am not sure, curved corner large windows upstair with smaller one down, bars on the windows and quite an orrnate entrance on the left hand side. note the large building behind it and the delivery door on the left hand end.
20230108152303_10.jpg

Next picture suggests the Jewellery Quarter and after a bit of Googling I came up with Frank Clissold Ltd, 94 Vyse Street, Birmingham, Love the line of properties, all double fronted, with pilllars either side of the door, and with an arched window above the door upstairs. I assume next doors bay windows were an addition and would have looked like the other building previously. I also presume that all the building had small front walls to enclose the frontage.

View attachment 192385
Post 24 at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/threads/birmingham-1969-73.23229/ shows two photos taken by me in the early 70s

In April 1991 Norris Beadman celebrated his Golden Wedding aniversary. Evening Mail reports that the couple still help their son John who took over Beadman’s Store in Riland Road six years ago.

View attachment 192385

building still there mark

Next selection and the last few on this roll are photos of pages from a newspaper and a book judging by the print - I apologies as usual for the quality of the images although they are interesting and also the cropping of the image which I had no control. Can I also say that I only have these as images of old Birmingham, although some of you may know they book or where the pictures came from.
First we have a large building and first thing to point out are the windows of the side facing us, in the curved top there is a circle of framing at the top apart from the top left window - wonder why? On the front there are some inward opening windows and a shallow roof line. There are also some street furniture which we are starting to loose, old curve top lamp, belisha beacon and telephone box.
20230108152303_12.jpg

next we are at the corner of The Parade , Newhall Hill and George Street, with a Policeman directing traffic I assume? Fromm the writing on the bottom of the p[picture I wonder who Alfred was - and why is there a book with picture about his life? Pub on the left and a large Philips lamps sign on wall. Large lorry coming towards us but no other vehicles.
20230108154133_01.jpg

apologies for not cropping this better and removing the feet of the people outside WH Smiths.
Main image is of course Great Western Hotel, fronting Snow Hill Station large building and great feat of symmetry to maintain the look. Imagine what it would look like today - frontage retained and a large office or apartment block behind - a lot different from the bland look of today.

20230108154133_02.jpg

We move slightly out the city centre to Hockley Hill in 1964 just before the start of the flyover redevelopment. See the Imperial Leather advert over the chemists shop and the line of three storey shops , bay window on the first floor and a small central window on the top floor / attic.
Few cars about and the buses heading out, all with rear open platforms .

20230108154133_03.jpg

Back into the city Centre and the Waterloo Bar in New Street, love the large sign for Billiards, and the large portico which is an imposing look, top end of New street - is this where the RBSA is / was - hard to locate as all my reference addresses have moved - was going to say near the Halifax BS but that went ages ago too!!

20230108154133_04.jpg

Next selection and the last few on this roll are photos of pages from a newspaper and a book judging by the print - I apologies as usual for the quality of the images although they are interesting and also the cropping of the image which I had no control. Can I also say that I only have these as images of old Birmingham, although some of you may know they book or where the pictures came from.
First we have a large building and first thing to point out are the windows of the side facing us, in the curved top there is a circle of framing at the top apart from the top left window - wonder why? On the front there are some inward opening windows and a shallow roof line. There are also some street furniture which we are starting to loose, old curve top lamp, belisha beacon and telephone box.
View attachment 192454

does not look familiar to me at the min steve

lyn

We move slightly out the city centre to Hockley Hill in 1964 just before the start of the flyover redevelopment. See the Imperial Leather advert over the chemists shop and the line of three storey shops , bay window on the first floor and a small central window on the top floor / attic.
Few cars about and the buses heading out, all with rear open platforms .

View attachment 192457

think the street on the left is guest street...i can well remember seeing quite a few izons chemists when i was young..

Moving onto Paradise Street now and somewhere else which has under gone change - from the centre building with the three eaves all the building to the left have disappeared and not for the best, another glass fronted box with no real architectural merit - not compared with what was there before. Was Stanford and Mann in this block?
20230108154226_02.jpg

I will put these last two together as one is rather poor but it leads onto the other - Bull Street from High Street, I am not sure it is particularly rare as I have a slide of a this or a similar location and if I have one then the rest of you must have seen one!!, The first image shows the age of the building on the left , in an old city it may still be there today ! , on the right we have Reece Bros. offering the oldest shop in Birmingham although it does say Tobacconist, through the middle of the sign which changes things somewhat.
The second image states circa 1888, and while it is obviously old there is nothing really to give a clue to the actual age.

20230108154226_03.jpg20230108154226_04.jpg

Moving onto Paradise Street now and somewhere else which has under gone change - from the centre building with the three eaves all the building to the left have disappeared and not for the best, another glass fronted box with no real architectural merit - not compared with what was there before. Was Stanford and Mann in this block?
View attachment 192459

yes it has changed steve...the nice building in the middle is still there though

I will put these last two together as one is rather poor but it leads onto the other - Bull Street from High Street, I am not sure it is particularly rare as I have a slide of a this or a similar location and if I have one then the rest of you must have seen one!!, The first image shows the age of the building on the left , in an old city it may still be there today ! , on the right we have Reece Bros. offering the oldest shop in Birmingham although it does say Tobacconist, through the middle of the sign which changes things somewhat.
The second image states circa 1888, and while it is obviously old there is nothing really to give a clue to the actual age.

View attachment 192460View attachment 192461

taken from round about here i think mark...oh for the days when the city centre was heaving with folk going about their business..totally depresses me now hence i avoid it

Back