• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Have sent in reply re the numbereing of Norwood Villas in Waterworks Rd and it will probably show up somwhere Old Brummy

As no position of the site is given,I think that, if I had a property in Garrison st at this time, I would be worried all & sundry would come anmd dump rubbish on it.
The New Theatre, also called the New Theatre royal in an advert in the same paper, has reopened under new management, a few weeks after the building was advertised here.
Thomas Henry Jukes Stirrop, surely a name for dickens to choose for the landlord of a hunting inn, though actually it was the Garrick's Head, Lower temple St.
A lovely description.
Must have been a bit of an embarresmant for him to hold these views then . For those not aware, Oxford Castle, of which he was the governor, was then the local gaol.

rubbish.jpg

new_theatre_reopened.jpg

jukes_stirrop.jpg

gorilla_countenance.jpg

anti-capital_punishment.jpg

An amusing report of a case (dismissed) of complaints of a wife against her husband. It must have been an interesting day in court.

report_on_assault_on_wife.jpg

9.4.1863t/

Those who study the history of Brum would sympathise with comments like this .
Only ladies against slavery ?
Don't know how he made money was a cinder dealer.
Anyone know what a "ginshop front " is ?
Not clear what this is about .

street_naming.jpg

anti_slavery_bazaar.jpg

cinder_dealer.jpg

ginshop_front.jpg

not_sure_what.jpg

I like the idea of adding a word to distinguish similarly named streets. How about 'Old' New Street, 'Very' New Street, 'Luscious' Cherry Street, 'Big' Cannon Street, 'Little' Cannon Street, 'Steep' Hill Street, 'Lower' High Street, 'Busy' High Street ..... OK I'll stop there! But come on town planners, we could be a bit more imaginative and as the 1863 article suggests, streets would "sound more musical".

The anti-slavery bazaar would most likely be addressed primarily to women. I have an ancestor who was a patron of Industrial Schools (not B'ham, but Liverpool) and the adverts I've seen of those are aimed at women who have time (and money) on their hands.

Viv.

Sounds like problens with train journeys were even worse then than today.
Unusual invention.

excursion_to_kemilworth.jpg

umbrella_stand.jpg

Presumably a demand froma union to not be a strikebreaker, but not sure why they should be decoyed.
Have never come accross a clogger in Birmingham before.

strike.jpg

clogger.jpg

Re.Mike's first article # 758, the vision of people climbing into locked carriages via the window seems absolutely farcical. The whole trip sounds like a nightmare. Do like the way the article is written. Think the secure umbrella stand sounds like a good idea. But surprisingly I've never had an umbrella disappear from a communal umbrella stand. Viv.

Going back to post #756 "Gin shop Front" I think you had to have a special licence to sell gin, and maybe a special sign or frontage. It was often used as a medication I believe. The later Gin Palaces were early restaurants and dance halls.

Wendy
Do you mean a medication like certain gentlemen you see in the streets use cider as a medication?

Viv
i agree about the writing. There are a lot of reports in the paper which have simillarly detailed interesting reports, but often so long that they could not be included in the thread. Surprisingly, even some of the council reports could be included in this
Mike

Anne
I understood it to be someone who made clogs. This was common in mill areas in the north, but I did not realise that clogs were used much in Birmingham, though, as this is the firat time I have come accross them, perhaps they were uncommon

Thanks Mike, I am interested because my g g grandfather John Carr is listed in the 1871 census as a professional clog dancer and was then a teacher. He came to Brum in 1901 when I guess he was too old. Anne

From the report it looks like the entire membership of this yardley church was employed by one man, Mr Horsfall.
I know publicans often had another business, but it looks like this was a little empire, pub, butcher,slaughterhouse and corn stores.
A very hard doctor. Don't think I would like to be treated hy him.
The discussion only mentions beer in passing, presumably because of the anti-drink lobby.

new_organ.jpg

conglomerate.jpg

very_hard_doctor.jpg

tax_on_malt.jpg

Used to the nipple !!. the mind boggles, though it presumably it concerns a nipple on the soda water machine.
Apparently before this you could put in marriage adverts for free.
Never heard of funeral services being called "black work2 before, though i can see why it might be so called.
Can't trust anyone these days !

used_to_the_nipple.jpg

payment_for_marriage_notices.jpg

black_work.jpg

cider_tricks.jpg

Mike, repost 770 I am not sure if my memory is correct, but I think Mr.Horsfall was connected to the large bedstead makers in the area, a 3 named firm which I cannot remember offhand.

I am surprised that american cheese and bacon was imported into the UK then, considering that it had to come in sailing ships, presumably at great expense
Bank of Love
Staffordshire people married younger than anyone else

american_butter_and_bacon.jpg

bank_of_love.jpg

Staffs_people_married_earlier.jpg

Today we have a measles epidemic because people would not be vaccinated, but then it was smallpox.
A very honest shopkeeper, bet Tescos wouldn't put an advert in the paper, or even admit their error.
The Leopard must have had a very large clubroom to hold 1000 people.
I pity the poor giant , being on display for 7 hours a day.

smallpox.jpg

an_honest_shopkeeper.jpg

big_club_room.jpg

large_giant.jpg

Re. the Smallpox outbreak, I wonder whether the need to demolish the Queen's Bench Prison ('has to be pulled down afterwards') means it was due for demolition or because of infection?

The cynic in me questions whether the overcharged coat was a PR stunt. As you say Mike it just wouldn't happen these days. Viv.

The figures show how rare was divorce ( I gather it took an act of parliament, though you could get annulments , and these were more common, i believe). In the whole of the UK only 6 men and 5 women were remarried after divorce, with one case of two divorceees marrying each other.
Pavement blockages - Marks & Spencers (and others) do that inside their stores nowadays, deliberately obstruct your passage to what you want by putting a load of rubbish in the way of the direct route.
Not sure what this chap is protesting about, but he is definitely protesting !
Homeopathic remedies are so diluted that there is virtually nothing of the original product left in it. do you think that homeopathic cocoa has virtually no cocoa in it?

rarity_of_divorce.jpg

pavement_blockages.jpg

not_sure_what_protest_is.jpg

homeopathic_cocoa.jpg

With reference to the post two days ago about using the Queens Bench Prison as a hospital for smallpox victims. This prison was for civil offenses and was therefore often used as a debtors prison. Imprisonment for debt was abolished in the 1860s and this could be what the writer in the article was refereing to. Infact the Queens (Kings) Bench Prison was not demolished until 1880. This picture is an engraving shown in Wikipedia is by Augustus Charles Pugin and others and published in a book of 1809

Presumably this is tolkien's father, who seems to have expanded from music into other arts.
Fire in Summer Lane. Teh engines were called as soon as the fire was discoveredm implies that there was no-one present when it started, yet it is claimed to have been caused while drawing off turpentine from a cask ??!!

tolkiens_father.jpg

fire_summer_lane.jpg

Back