• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Done it, well this what saddens me about to-days society, although not overtly religious my self, I do understand the cohesioness and stability it brings to a society, so often I feel that society seems rudderless drifting, not for everyone I know, but simply my opinion.Paul

Excursions by train may not have been too pleasant for some at this time

Attachments

• train excursions in 1866.jpg
    train excursions in 1866.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 17
4 hours from Birmingham to London and 5 hours back. Travellors 150 years ago would not believe today's timings. Of course going via Reading, GWR in those days was still the Great Way Round

Half an hour to issue a library book !. Maybe the new library isn't so bad after all, compared to that.
A site is finally announced for the statue of Prince Albert. Except that it did not actually go there, as can be seen at https://www.pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/5964/
It is suggested that the poor rate, supposedly raised to support the poor, should be imposed on the workhouse, which aims to support the poor. I should think Osborne and his city friends would like that idea.

Attachments

• half an hour to sign out a library book.jpg
    half an hour to sign out a library book.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Statue of Prince consort.jpg
    Statue of Prince consort.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 12
  • The workhouse rated to support the poor..jpg
    The workhouse rated to support the poor..jpg
    138 KB · Views: 11
Re 'Free Library' letter. So much for educating the masses and making reading matter more accessible. It shows that many still didn't want an educated lower class despite in principle these being 'free libraries'. Viv.

I am wondering if the delay was caused by not having the books on open stacks but by users having to request books. This was how we worked in the old Reference Library in my student days.

David
On an earlier Post item on the then new free library I think I did see a reference to the books not being on open shelves, so you are probably right

Serious fire at chandelier manufacturer in charlotte St.
Unusual nesting place for bird on floating corpse.

Attachments

• bird nested on floating corpse.jpg
    bird nested on floating corpse.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Serious fire in Charlotte St.jpg
    Serious fire in Charlotte St.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Although I have stated before on this thread, the enormous amounts of serious fires in Victorian Birmingham was massive, £2000 in 1866 must run into the £100's of thousands in to days money, I am always amazed that there is very small loss of life in most reported fires.Paul

Paul
An awful lot of them were at night, like thisone, so that would be a partial explanation for lack of loss of life

Yes Mike, I too had noticed some time ago that a lot of these fires happened at night when everyone went home, it had occurred to me that perhaps some of these were not by accident.Paul

Sounds like the Peaky blinders and Al Capone had some predescessors in Birmingham then with the goings on at The Prince of Wales Theatre.
A Birmingham cricket club is formed to play at Aston Park, while coincidentally on the same day a correspondent laments the absence of a decent Edgebaston club because there was no decent ground. This was remedied , but not for another 20 years.
Finally an amusing misunderstanding by the French - and they say the British are the ones who do not bother to understand foreign languages,

Attachments

• Birmingham cricket club formed.jpg
    Birmingham cricket club formed.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 16
  • French misinterpretation.jpg
    French misinterpretation.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Trials of Prince of Wales theatre.jpg
    Trials of Prince of Wales theatre.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 15
  • No edgebaston cricket club.jpg
    No edgebaston cricket club.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 15
Another fire, this time in Edmund St.
Cannot help being amused by the naming of some of these perfumes, especially the two named after Rifle Corps.

Attachments

• fire in Edmund St.jpg
    fire in Edmund St.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 9
  • unusual named perfumes.jpg
    unusual named perfumes.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 9
Another at night with just the stock destroyed, also most reports state that 2 insurance company's are the norm, one for buildings and one for stock, this is also leaving me with a suspicion that things are not what they seem. In this period of Empire, to equate items for sale with the Military gave it a sort of enhanced superior quality. Paul

A supposedly, more independent report of the happenings at the Prince of Wales Theatre reported in a letter on 23rd.
A large fire just outside Birmingham at the home of a Birmingham solicitor in Bromsgrove.

Fire_at_Bromsgrove.jpg
altercation_at_Prince_of_wales_theatre.jpg

A Dickens Reading to come to the Town Hall

Attachments

• Dickens reading.jpg
    Dickens reading.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 9
The Bristol to Birmingham Railway to reduce its fares. The fares may at first seem quite low until you note the value of money at that time.
Graffiti are not just a modern invention, though not so many would try to mark glass today (probably break it instead !) Even Shakespeare's birthplace was not immune.

Attachments

• Graffiti at shakespeares birthplace.jpg
    Graffiti at shakespeares birthplace.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Reduction of fares on midland railway.jpg
    Reduction of fares on midland railway.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 9
I can't help thinking that if an advert such as Mr McCreery's appeared today advertising that he would clean, dye and curl ladies feathers it might attract some attention
The extract from the New York Saturday Press did not only show the difference in British and American humour, but also that their spelling of words was even worse then than now .

Attachments

• americans and british.jpg
    americans and british.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 9
  • ladies feathers cleaned.jpg
    ladies feathers cleaned.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 8
First match of Birmingham cricket club - Rain stopped play.
Fire in George St

Attachments

• Birmingham cricket club. rain stopped play.jpg
    Birmingham cricket club. rain stopped play.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 6
  • fire in Geirge st.jpg
    fire in Geirge st.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 5
Re. William Scholefield's absence from the cricket club event - the strain on him from his MP/House of Commons Committee work must have been starting to show as he died of heart failure a year later. Viv.

Plans for Harborne railway being prepared.Only a short length of that planned was built, to Harborne, which was eventually opened in 1874.
Accident to fire engine on way to fire.
Sanatorium for the less well off needing rest and convalescence is to go ahead.
Have heard it said around 1900 that cars frighten the horses, but before that it was apparently trains that did this.

Sanatorium to go ahead.jpg

Attachments

• accident to fire engine.jpg
    accident to fire engine.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Harborne railway plans in preparation.jpg
    Harborne railway plans in preparation.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 9
  • trains frighten the horses.jpg
    trains frighten the horses.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: