• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

I wonder today, if pages of magazines were not cut pre-sale, what percentage of "coffee table magazines" (Vogue, Country life, Yorkshire Life, The Lady etc) would prove to have actually been read. I presume "The Dove in the Eagle's Nest" was the then equivalent of "Why my husband has left me for a lesbian"

uncut_book_pages.jpg

Last edited:
A storm came over Birmingham, and made pinnacles on the Grammar school rock, broke plate glass windows, and tore off metal shutters.

The_great_storm_in_birmingham.jpg

A cartoonist would have a lovely time with a title like "Fat Pig show"

working_man_s_fat_pig_show.jpg

Saturday Night Cases, a rather unfortunate description of what was probably a not-uncommon happening

saturday_night_cases.jpg

Mike

I know Moseley Street (if it's the same one) but a junction with Brewery Street is new to me. Any idea where it was?

Phil
I would have been going round in circles asking the same question if some time ago I had not come across it, Brewery St became part of Alcester St, as can be seen on the c 1866 map below. The brewery is marked in red.

map_c_1866_showing_Deritend_brewery_and_Brewery_st.jpg

Mike

Now that is something I didn't know, it looks as if the brewery was on the site of the old Rowton House

That had not registered Phil, but yes it was. Between the two uses the c1889 map shows it as a hay stores.
PS - my typing is bad. Good job I checked as I had typed gay stores !

Report on explosion at fog signal manufactory, apparently because a worker tried to separate two fog signals that were stuck together by hammering them on the bench !

explosion_at_fog_signal_manufactory.jpg

Opening of dog show postponed for a few days as newly built Curzon Hall not quite ready. They seemed surprised then that it was not built on time, but perhaps then there were strong penalties for not keeping to a contract.

delays_in_constructing_curzon_hall.jpg

Another explosion at a percussion cap factory

another_explosion_at_percussion_cap_factory.jpg

Opening date for dog show, previously postponed, announced, the first event at Curzon Hall

first_event_at_curzon_hall.jpg

Housewarming party for the newly built Junction pub , wheeler St,

house_warming_for_new_pub_The_junction2C_wheeler_st.jpg

Fire at a tallow chandlery could be quite serious I would have thought

fire_in_moor_st.jpg

The Dudley fire brigade sounds a bit like the keystone kops

ramshackle_dudley_fire_brigade.jpg

I think as the Dudley Police were the fire brigade they were the Keystone Cops. It makes you wonder how long it would have taken in those days to send for a fire engine from Birmingham. Mr Chief Superintendent does sound very formal to us.

20 years after Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol, Scrooge still lives !

20_years_after_Dickens.jpg

Fire at Blews & Son

fire_at_Blews___Sons.jpg

Cattle going through Birmingham market

supply_of_meat_to_birmingham_market.jpg

#2297, maybe snooker game??Paul

The sums of money don't tie up with anything I could think about. Don't know if snooker was invented then. When Joe Davis won the World Snooker Championship in 1930s at Kings Norton British Legion Club it was said that his prize money was £6. 10s and his bus fare home

I was trying to fit in a saying of shoot, from guns, football, etc, snooker I believe was in vented in "The British Rahj" in about the 1840's, but cannot be sure. Paul

Paul, I can tell you that the first official rules of Snooker were written in the "Snooty" Ooty Club in Madras in 1882. I was not criticising your suggestion that it was a game. I was just commenting that it could not be snooker. What I was really puzzled about was the reference to £5 to £10 which was an enormous sum of money in those days.

An artiste objects to comments of critic and assaults him in what appears to be a hissy spat. As the report is long, only the beginning and end are reproduced.

charge_of_assault_against_M_Julien_abridged.jpg

The Rindepest outbreak has reached proportions that necessitate control of movement of animals, though there are arguments as to how well the restrictions will work because of exemptions
cattle_plague_notice.jpg

I still have copies of all those snippits posted that were lost in the crash, but will not be reposing unless there is a request.
Staring from 12.2.1866 it is interesting that the behaviour of this church in Wolverhampton seems to hav ebeen considered to be somewhat revolutionary, showing how little the church then did to carry out the supposed policy of their God.
On 13.2.1866, a report , also from Wolverhampton , shows cockfighting was still prevalent in the country
On 8.2.1866 there is a terrible boiler explosion in smethwick
On 16.1.1866 & 15.1.1866 there is a report on treatment of inhabitants of the birmingham workhouse.

Attachments

• a christian church.jpg
    a christian church.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 8
  • cockfighting in Wolves.jpg
    cockfighting in Wolves.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 5
  • TERRIFIC BOILER EXPLOSION AT SMETHWICK.jpg
    TERRIFIC BOILER EXPLOSION AT SMETHWICK.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 1
  • TREATMENT OF INMATES AT THE BIRMINGHAM WORKHOUSE.jpg
    TREATMENT OF INMATES AT THE BIRMINGHAM WORKHOUSE.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 2
  • night in the workhouse pt 2.jpg
    night in the workhouse pt 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • birm d.post. 15.1.1866 a day in the workhouse.jpg
    birm d.post. 15.1.1866 a day in the workhouse.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Possible 7 days in prison for snowballing a policeman

Attachments

• Snowballing a policeman.jpg
    Snowballing a policeman.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 13
In those days respect for the law and the enforcement law officers was every thing, also disaplin weather self, or general was demanded by law, 2/- to a working man was about 12 pints of beer, so an expensive night.Paul

Passenger killed at Sutton station
I wonder what comments people would have today on the Queer Fellows Indeed Friendly Society. Probably ask "How Friendly?"

Attachments

• death at sutton station.jpg
    death at sutton station.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 8
  • Queer fellows indeed friendly society.jpg
    Queer fellows indeed friendly society.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 9
An interesting master class on how to burgle a safe in the 1860s

BURGLAR ON THE SAFETY OF IRON SAFES .jpg

Last edited:
Back