• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Reduction in postal charges. Never likely to happen today, when the Bank of England aim at 3% or so inflation and you receive a letter from your mobile operator beginning " Your annual increase for next year will be...".

reduction_in_postal_charges.jpg

The Alhambra circus closing. It opened (post 1869) just after Christmas 1863. Was never quite sure whether it was performed in a hall or outside. This advert's mention of interior implies it was in a hall.
The advert implies that bus proprietors are being harassed for obstruction while picking up passengers. This may be so, or it might , of course, be parking of buses for long periods while the drivers go off for a nap, a smoke or a pint.

closing_of_alhambra_circus.jpg

buses_causing_obstruction_while_waiting_for_passengers.jpg

Fire in Macdonald st.
It looks like the proprietor to the notorious Grand Divan has tried to expand to Manchester, but is having problems with his partner there.

fire_in_macdonald_st.jpg

grand_divan_trying_to_expand.jpg

Spire planned for Kings Heath church, presumably All Saints. It was completed in 1866.
A peacock is an unusual piece of lost property to find walking down Bristol Road..
Insane policeman missing. wonder what he did.

plan_to_put_spire_on_Kings_Heath_church.jpg

peacock.jpg

insane_policeman.jpg

Baths & Parks committee member of the council suggests pulling down Aston Hall as a cost efficient measure. Not every person then was as keen to retain good buildings as Bromsgrove were a week before.
Health and safety does not seem to have had much influence in this case. He doesn't seem to have cared much for his children either.

baths___parks_committee_member_suggests_pulling_down_Aston_Hall.jpg

health_and_safety~1.jpg

Relieved to see that Aston Hall didn't suffer the same fate as Perry Hall. And how observant of the journalist to suggest that demolishing Aston Hall would be regretted by future historians. He wasn't wrong in his prediction. Would have liked to have seen the other 'expenses' - expect Aldermen's' expenses featured heavily in those.

Thought 'pooh, poohed' was a modern word, obviously not. Viv.

I had thought that the medieval practices of personal pews had disappeared by this time. but obviously not.
I would guess that expecting to pay for a commercial entertainment by a collection at the end would not have been very profitable.
Aston Hall refreshment rooms open.

open_pews.jpg

collection_as_payment.jpg

aston_hall_refreshment_rooms.jpg

Are yes mike that refreshment was only open on certain Sundays and of summer days it then only seven soda pops and lemade or orange squash
And little cakes and tea or coffee and may be crisp old smiths crisps with the little blue bag in it
Right up until 1955. Period never open end again for a couple of years later when they started to open up Aston hall and it was with in the arch way between
The house at the rear and there old huge Victorian gardens they kept with wide steps with statues on a pillar at the top and half way down
A series of about five series of six steps that would bring you around and down that big hill over looking the villa ground
And you could see half the pitch and the crowd standing a cheering
And when the villa first put those first sets of floodlights they had the MEB from Chester street install them
And my oldest brother Ron was an apprentice with three older guys whom was senior people the main man of the gang was a guy called Ron
I have forgotten his surname but they was on the front page of the Birmingham event mail they had there photo taken right across the front page
Standing by those flood light they errected but getting to Aston hall we played cow boys and Indians regular at week ends all around that hall and in the snow we would go with the old man and sledge down to the bottom of that steep hill and almost through the fence luckily there was plenty of bushes in that day
Alan,,Astonian,,,

great snippets mike just catching up with them....trying to place where macdonald st summer lane was post 1983..dont think ive heard of it before...

Attwoods, Spooner & Co were a major local bank which "failed", though this ia perhaps a kind word for it. This summary report shows that it is possibly true that those running banks then were even more bent than those today.

conclusion_of_attwood_spooner___Co_failure.jpg

I think much of the failure was probably down to financing Attwood's political activities. And according to archived material it's alleged Attwood made massive withdrawals from the bank up until it's failure. His philanthropic and political causes would have been costly. Poor people in need even turned up at his home at the Grange in Harborne for assistance. And his wife's own money supported the family living expenses, not Attwood's. Viv.

107 year old destitute -if she is to be believed
Beginning of a Report on a gun factory (BSA precursor) , more literary than technical
Comments on Improvements to Birmingham .

107_year_old_destitute.jpg

BSA_factory_part.jpg

improvements2C_or_not2C_to_Birmingham.jpg

I learn new words from these old articles, and wonder whether readers of the Birmingham Post had to reach for their dictionaries like I've had to click on Google who of course knows about everything.

'Brisreus' - 'one of three 100-armed, 50-headed sons of the deities'
'Stithies' - 'a forge or anvil'

oldmohawk (still learning) ...:smug:

A coincidence that yesterday someone was in court claiming to be 107, yet the next day it is reported that the oldest inhabitant of Birmingham has just died at 102

oldest_inhabitant_dies.jpg

Request to Wworcestershire quarter sessions for a bridge over the Rriver Cole at Hobmoor lane.
Visit to Birmingham of Crown Princess of Brazil.

Worcester_uqarte_sessions__request_for_bridge_at_Hobmore_lane.jpg

Royal_visit_to_birmingham__crown_princess_of_brazil.jpg

Bitter electoral fight in Aston officially by those who believe that the public should be allowed to observe the Guardians discussions against the "old guard", though the "old guard" say it is those who wish to spend money for the benefit of the area against those who do not wish to spend money (Does that sound familiar?).
Public official accused of extortion.
The Hop Pole Inn in Bromsgrove, for which opposition to its demolition was described 2 weeks ago in post 1977, looks as if it will be rebuilt . Presumably the rebuilt pub is the same as is still on the Birmingham Road today.

electoral_fight_in_aston.jpg

prosecution_of_inspector_of_nuisances.jpg

Hop_pole_inn_saved.jpg

Very interested in the visit of Brazil princess (post #2000) particularly in the merchant firm of F J Smith. I think it might be Frederick Joseph Smith, and they were probably connected to the Worcester family of Tustin Smith. If anyone has any further info about the firm or the royal visit, I'd be glad to hear about it. Please IM me. Many thanks. Viv.

Bitter electoral fight in Aston officially by those who believe that the public should be allowed to observe the Guardians discussions against the "old guard", though the "old guard" say it is those who wish to spend money for the benefit of the area against those who do not wish to spend money (Does that sound familiar?).
Public official accused of extortion.
I notice there were no women guardians or council people, but I suppose that was normal in those days.

women did not have the vote in those days, so presumably could not stand either

Lady Astor was first female MP in 1919. There was an Irish female MP elected before this but did not take up her seat.

By the way can't attach files from computer this morning except via URL

Going back to the story of the 107 year old Ann Hinton, I have found this one on the 1851 census still doesn't make her 107 though.

Ann HINTON Head W 73 F Pauper ----Scotland
Ann HINTON Daur U 39 F --- Canterbury-Kent
John HINTON GSon U 19 M Scale Maker Apprentice Birmingham-Warwickshire
George OVERFIELD Lodg U 25 M Leather Dresser Journeyman N K-SHR
Address: Sherlock St Ct 5, Birmingham
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2053 Folio: 128 Page: 10 FHL Film: 0087311

Troops stationed in Birmingham to be withdrawn. From the sound of it the inhabitants say good riddance.
Smallpox Vaccination not being carried out very well in Birmingham.
Latest fashion thing, silver crinoline supports. Must have quite a lot of silver in them -talk about conspicuous consumption.

troops_to_be_removed_from_Birmingham.jpg

vaccination_not_being_carried_out_very_well_in_birmingham.jpg

silver_framework_for_crinoline.jpg

Back