• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Veterans of Trafalgar in Walsall workhouse

veterans_of_trafalgar.jpg

So many veterans must have suffered the same fate as these two.

Had to look up 'Hame maker'. Hames were two curved pieces of iron or wood which, along with the collar, form part of the harness of a draught horse.

Viv

So the reason for stonebreaking in prison wasn't just for punishment, but also for financial reasons.
So being a women then wasn't all a disadvantage, as she coulds commit a crime with her husband and he took all the blame.
The first government retirement annuity, which could be considered as the first attempt at a pensions scheme, though only by contribution.

income_from_stone_-breaking.jpg

law_says_wife_controlled_by_husband.jpg

First_vestiges_of_attempt_to_produce_government_annuities.jpg

Another case of someone smelling a gas leak and going into the room looking for it with a lighted taper, with predictable results.

gas_explosion~0.jpg

On Brummagem Puritanism, Max Miller "the Cheeky Chappie" was always surprised that he was never censored by the Birmingham Watch Committee reputed to be the most prudish in the country.

Seems like St Mary's church was in a pretty bad state, a stained glass window blown in and the spire in such a bad condition that it had to be rebuilt.

repairs_to_St_marys_church.jpg

Company formed to build Curzon Hall
Men in Pershore fined for dropping corpse.
Terrible lack of care of dying women .

Company_formed_to_build_Curzon_Hall.jpg

Fined_for_dropping_corpse.jpg

lack_of_care_of_dying_women.jpg

New church proposed in Leopold St. Presumably it was never built, at least , not in that street.
New window in sutton Coldfield parish church.

new_church_proposed_in__leopold_st_.jpg

new_window_in_parish_church.jpg

Great posts Mike just caught up with these. St Mary's in Whittall Street must have been saved for a while, as I don't think it was demolished until the 1920's. My great grandparents were married there.

#2022/4, lets hope we never return to that state of affairs again in our country, the NHS for all its faults is a God send, and though taxation is the best, free for all at point of delivery. I don't receive thread contacts from the Forum any more Mike, so have to catch up weekly.Paul

John Wilkinson was known as Iron mad Wilkinson. He built a chapel in Coseley where the alter, pulpit and lecturn were all made from cast iron.

Paul .
That reminds me that I don't seem to be getting any either. so have just gone into "General settings" and altered it , so it should now send an e-mail.It must have been altered when Warren reloaded forum. Probably won't work till I reboot, but hopefully will then, though presumably only for posts after .

Reception in Birmingham of news of assassination of Abraham Lincoln
First contributors to statue of James Watt.

reception_in_birmingham_of_report_of_president_lincolns_assassination_28129.jpg

memoial_statue_to_james_watt.jpg

I recall a plaque commemorating the Lincoln assassination in the sub way in the Old Square. Wilkes is a common Midlands name( I should know!) were there any local links to the assassin?

Very interested Paul. Over the next 3 days (as far ahead as I have read so far) there are two whole pages of reports on the event and resulting comments in the uk. Remember that the Birmingham post was then only 4 pages in size for 4 days a week and 8 pages on 2 days , and of that probably nearly a half was advertisements , either classified or non-classified

#2034/2 what a sad story poor lad waiting to die such a horrendous death, and we can only think about the poor father watching.Paul

Mock auctions are not just a modern invention
Suicide of inspector of nuisances implicated in corruption

MOCK%20AUCTIONS_zpsytbfngdr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SUICIDE%20OF%20NUISANCES%20INSPECTOR_zpss5lgf4qg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think this is him on the 1851 census.

Head: BLISS, James Neighbors 240546
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
James BLISS Head M 35 M Police Officer Blacksley Byfield-NTH
Sarah Elizabeth BLISS Wife M 33 F --- Blacksley Byfield-NTH
James Thomas BLISS Son - 9 M --- Birmingham----
William BLISS Son U 6 M --- Birmingham----
Alice BLISS Daur U 4 F --- Birmingham----
Sarah BLISS Daur U 2 F --- Birmingham----
Address: 26 Camden St, Birmingham
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire

The Hop Pole Inn in Bromsgrove, for which opposition to its demolition was described 2 weeks ago in post 1977, looks as if it will be rebuilt . Presumably the rebuilt pub is the same as is still on the Birmingham Road today.

Hop_pole_inn_saved.jpg

I was incorrect that this is the same Hoppole as is there then. It was pointed out to me over the weekend, when passing it , that this was another pub of the same name, and that the one described , no longer a pub, is a half timberrd building just round the corner from High St on New Road, and very obvious on streetview

Back