• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

well i will go to the foot of our stairs mike...ive seen maps of that area before but never showing the clay pit...i have saved it..

thank you thats something else ive just found out..nice to see my old school lozells girls on the map as well

Last edited:
Carol I think you will find it was congreave street it was behind the town hall and across the road from the original fountain
That was where many years ago here is some pictures knocking about on here or in some books
It was a very big main rd and wide as well to cross it was a red. Tiled building I do have a book as well with the picture of the building
Which was the registration before it moved across the road on. Road street facing the hall of memory and the thearter that stands today
But only in those years the thwarted was not thought on it was bingley hall best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,,,

Hi Astonian, reading online it would appear that the one by the fountain didnt start until 1932, so I was trying to find out where it was before then.

26inch pipes are quite impressive. Bet they were rather prone to breakage.

clay_pipes.jpg

I still have a churchwarden pipe - plus others - however I gave up using them quite a few years ago. My briar pipe has a length of around 12".

The reason for the proposed rise in the price of milk mentioned on 18th august was the increase in hte price of cattle feed, not, as thought a decrease in keeping qualities of the milk.
Snow hill Station, then only 12 years old is reported to be a a bad condition and not a good advertisement for the town.

reason_for_milk_price_rising.jpg

Snow_hill_station_a_wreck.jpg

I don't have the dates to hand but from memory I read that the old Snow Hill station was the third on that site having been rebuilt twice.

The image of the iron boiler being hauled up one side of Dartmouth Bridge and rushing down the other side makes me think of the Laurel and Hardy film with the piano
This thief certainly was quick witted.

Dartmouth_st_bridge.jpg

dog_not_under_the_bed.jpg

Maybe he was a trainee clergyman. He couldn't make wine or fishes so had to make do with making water.

clergyman_making_water.jpg

The saddle riveters of Birmingham trying for a 10% pay rise. High I would have thought for the time.
An experimental pneumatic railway tried out in London. This is only part of the report, which was too long to include in total.

saddle_tree_riveters.jpg

pneumatic_railway_at_sydenham_part.jpg

As I remember it, one of the reasons the commercial line did not work is that rats liked the greased leather that was used at flexible joints

I wonder how much damage was thought to merit 3 days imprisonment.
Saturday evenings free for the first time !
I suppose "human game refers to recruiting voters to the MPs cause, or is there a suggestion of a peasant shoot?
I wonder what they would have thought of The Sun.

trees_on_bristol_road.jpg

early_closing.jpg

human_game.jpg

filthy_publications.jpg

If they put luggage on the roof I would have thought this a not-uncommon incident

luggage_on_train_roof.jpg

Hi paul
Yes paul I am inclined to agree with you along time ago I noticed this practice when I used to travel. To Birmingham from worc
On the evenings it was regular like clock work bought the ticket but there never a ticket collector on board
People was getting on and off like clock work soldiers all the way stop after stop. Some stations was unmanned
And they wondered why they as loosing revenue still I suppose its a risky job now just like taxi drivers especially at night
Being attacked and robbed best wishes astonian,,,,,,Alan,,,,,

A sort of giant ear trumpet - sounds like something out of the exhibition of Rowland Emett's work at the art gallery.
Nowadays people remember wistfully the days of rag & bone men with their horses. In 1864 somewhat different cries were remembered.

giant_ear_trumpet.jpg

old_wigs.jpg

I would have thought that "old wigs", were indeed very old in the 1860's, as the wearing of wigs as a gentleman's cosmetic accruitiment, in wearing apparel disappeared around 1the 1780's.

Paul
I think the item was reminiscing, though I admit that, if so, the person writing it must have been over 80

The stabbling of horses in burbury St, reported on 22nd august, has obviously stirred things up if the government have got involved and if they are prepared to stomp up towards a reward.

reward_for_horse_stabber.jpg

thanks for the snippet about the horses in burbury st mike...i do wonder if the culprits were ever caught though..

lyn

Accident at New St station. From this it would appear that the person operating the points had to hold down on the lever to prevent the points moving back to the other position. Or maybe I misunderstood.
Very unusual excuse for avoiding jury duty.

train_misshap_at_New_st.jpg

strange_excuse_for_jury_service.jpg

In answer to Astonness's question, those responsible for the horse stabbing were caught and both men given 14 years penal servitude. It is a very long report though, so cannot include here, but will send to Astonness (and to anyone else if they are interested)

In answer to Astonness's question, those responsible for the horse stabbing were caught and both men given 14 years penal servitude. It is a very long report though, so cannot include here, but will send to Astonness (and to anyone else if they are interested)

thanks mike im so pleased that justice was served on these pair...thanks for emailing me the report of the court case..printing it off for my old end folder...

lyn

Back