• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

An indignant wife replying to her husband's notice saying he will not be responsible for her debts

indignant_wife.jpg

I wonder if this is the family on the 1851 census/

Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
James BRAGG Head M 32 M Brass Founder Birmingham-War
Anna BRAGG Wife M 32 F --- Birmm-War
Maria Ann BRAGG Daur - 12 F --- Birmm-War
Joseph BRAGG Son - 9 M --- Birmm-War
Ann HAYCOCK Serv W 42 F Servt Birmm-War
Address: 70 Lancaster Street, Birmingham
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2057 Folio: 442 Page: 38 FHL Film: 0332118

Nick
The details certainly fit with 1862, when they were in the Geach Arms, though Maria is given as mary.

According to Joseph McKenna the "Pest Field" was at Ladywood Lane (now Ladywood Middleway) and St. Vincent St. He states that no remains were recorded during redevelopments in 1860's but thinks that a statement in a newspaper might have caused panic!
rosie.

How wonderful the Baskerville coach must have been! He was quite an eccentric, as well as a clever man.

Very interesting Viv, a spectacular looking vehicle indeed, I believe that most large conurbations would have had "Peste Fields", during the middle ages and mid 15th Century's for "Plague victims".

Hi Rosie and the gang of ladywoodites
I went into wh smiths the other day and they have stocked up with a new book called Ladywood
It a paper back cover with plenty of pictures of old and new Ladywood which I have never seen before
So thedutchess as gone out today to get me a copy best wishes. Astonian,,,

This must be the Sultan Divan , which had considerable legal problems at the time with the authorities. It was considered to be a house where prostitutes gathered and plyed their trade and was eventually closed in the 1880s and converted into a YMCA - bit like converting guns into ploughshares

Fracas_at_turkish_divan_2_8_1864.jpg

Possibly a spot of corruption in the police ? The Watch Committee to investigate

watch_committee_question.jpg

Ah mike yes I am intend to agree in those days the police force was very corrupt but not like today's force you would never get away with it
There is a couple of old files and a couple of very olds books which I have and read
About when the police force in old peel days was formed about the police force in general once elected for the job
Some would never turn up for duty some would be drunk and others would do what you are saying
And in those days there would be certain officers whom would frequent such houses of red light ,, brothels and take advantage of there postion
Whith certain ladies of the night that is the history of the old days of forces thank god for the new technology and a good police force
Astonian,,,

A little more information about Baskerville's carrriage.
Big fire in smallbrook St.

s_carriage.jpg

big_fire_in_Smallbrook_st.jpg

I must say the risk of fire to business premises in this age, was considerable, the times you have obtained such happenings from the media of the time must, account for nearly a quarter of all postings.

Paul
I have not reported every instance. In most cases the ones I included are ones where I feel the information on the premises and occupiers may be of interest to someone, which is obviously a bit arbitrary. On occasion large reports have to be cut so as not to bulk-ouit the forum too much. Of course then there was probably more wooden framed buildings than now, and safety precautions seem to have been unknown. I seem to remember one case where soemone was pouring inflammable liquid into a container with an open flame in the room!

After refurbishment of Turkish baths in The Crescent many things available . Reduced rate for minions, in a special room of course , a Turkish bath for sixpence.
Queen Victoria offered hand in marriage ! Well it would have widened the gene pool if she'd been a bit younger.

turkish_bath_for_6_pence.jpg

offer_of_marriage_to_Q_Victoria.jpg

Sorry Paul. A case of not only look before you jump, but look after you jump as well !
Have corrected the post with the correct item

Another fire in High St

Duddeston Hall grounds and Royal Gardens Vauxhall were places of entertainment on occasion. But this cannot be The Vauxhall Gardens, as these were closed in 1850, so not sure what these Royal Gardens were.
Heard of being left at the altar, but this is that with bells on. It was in Ireland though.

fire_in_high_st~0.jpg

Royal_gardens_vauxhall_and_duddeston_hall_gardens.jpg

shock_for_the_bridegroom.jpg

Strange indeed Mike, as there is no doubt that Vauxhall Gardens closed in 1850 as per this quote from Chris Upton

"A final banquet was thrown to mark the garden’s formal closure in September 1850, and when the ball ended at 6 o’clock the following morning, the first of Vauxhall’s lovely old trees was felled."

I wonder if some small part of it remained in 1864 and it was utilised for this concert?

Would not fancy having to do all that and eat and sleep as well . the court did the right thing to acquit him.

life_on_the_railway.jpg

Watch committee meeting discus late night licensees, mentioning the case in my post of 2nd august, but delicately not saying that they are talking about brothels.

Wife supposedly sold for a shillling at Brummagem Fair.

watch_commitees_minutes_discuses_sultan_divan_case__10_8_1864.jpg

wife_sold_for_shilling_at_Brummagem_fair_.jpg

Interesting article Mike. The Grand Sultan Divan in Needless Alley was owned by Joseph Bandano. I am told he was Algerian. He was running the Sultan Divan in Birmingham sometime after 1863, but in the 1861 census he is living at the Turkish Divan in Manchester with his nephew, Owen Thur from Nottingham. Joseph Bandano's wife, Emma Cutts, was also from Nottingham. The Thurs were mentioned in your earlier newspaper cutting # 1574. The 1864 death certificate of Kate Thur shows that she is the daughter of William Thur, a waiter in a refreshment room (more than likely the Grand Sultan Divan at the same address), died at 6 Needles Alley, Birmingham. William was a brother of the Owen Thur listed with the Bandano's in the 1861 census.

Showells Directory says that the Sultan Divan was formerly a questionable place of amusement in Needless Alley but which was bought for £7,500, and opened by the YMCA, January 1875.

From the Barber Institute's catalogue, I was sent an article on the weekly newspaper 'Brum' which appeared for a few months in 1869 in which it states that 'The Grand Sultan Divan' has the appearance of a neglected teetotal lecture room and has no doubt been noted by hundreds of well mening old fogeys without a thought to its real character..... In these apartments are congregated nightly all the women of ill-fame in Birmingham, whose faces are sufficiently well preserved to stand the light. Those who have sunk below this standard, as they all do sooner or later, generally find it better to remain outside!!!!!!

Back