• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

at first glance i thought the building on the right was the rose villa tavern vyse st/warstone lane but im not so sure now

Last edited:
Re: Bomb damage in unidentified streets

18B.jpg
I have enlarged it to see if any more details can be recognised
Senior moment LOL

at first glance i thought the building on the right was the rose villa tavern vyse st/warstone lane but im not so sure now
Maybe that lighter coloured strip of brickwork immediately under the roof could give a clue if the building has not been demolished.

Here is the relevent part enlarged as far as I can

18parAt.jpg

I've had a good fly around on Google Earth and Apple Maps and think the building has probably been demolished. Some wonderful views of the district on the britainfromabove website if you are signed in and see the hi-res pics which certainly show how much has been demolished. The Rose Villa Tavern looks good in the 1937 sunshine. Need to hide the pins though ... which you can only do if you are signed in !
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw053098?search=warstone&ref=1

We seem to have gone as far as we can with this one, so I am putting on another below. I'm sure it is in the jewellery quarter, and it was taken just after one showing the south side of Warstone lane between the post office on the corner of Vittoria st no 38 to about no 27. the next shot was of 45 Frederick St

32B.jpg

dont think its warstone lane or frederick st mike...looks too narrow would think a side street or road could be vittoria st will do a street walk but this is always assuming those buildings are still standing as it looks like the roof of the building on the left has gone..

Last edited:
Yes it is a little narrow street and the colour of the corner shop was a little cafe and walk down that very street which I should know but cannot recall its name
As the number of days in my life I have walked around that area searching for work when I became an adult and worked in many of those premises all around as I am an electro plater and an anodiser by progression and worked in most of the electro company,s
And the big high building you see on your walking towards was the old original school college of silver smiths building
The name of the road escapoes at the moment as I work from memory unfortuneatly I do hold ref maps and disc like you my fellow members
May hold but around not far from them but quite closely there was a big bomb explosive landed in the last war years
My grand parents lived there in some many years back and mom was a young girl there at the time
And way back in the late fifty nine or around that year or the sixty of history in the evening mail was a picture of it
Of the shop and the plane bombed Astonian,,,,,

Most of the houses in that area seem to have been demolished but the old factories have survived and been refurbished. If the pic only has houses it becomes difficult to identify a pic. The building with five upper windows has been refurbished and the distinctive arched windows of the factory identified the location. I use Apple Maps on an iPad to look for them.
image.jpg

The building to the left of the ornate building mentioned was in fact the School for Jewellers & Silversmiths. I ought to have known that, though it does look a lot nicer today than then.The ornate building is possibly part of the school now as well

This is another I don't think will be easily identified (famous last words) unless someone knew the area well. It was taken between a couple of Lee Bank Road and one of the corner of Alston St and Wood St.

3A.jpg

i dont know that area mike but its a great photo...love the attic windows they take me right back to growing up in villa st..the houses look sturdy enough so they may still be standing..

lyn

I can see houses like those with attic windows in the pic not too far from Alston St towards Edgbaston Reservoir but there are several streets there..

Mike,

Is it not Rann Street near the left of this other photo of yours?

Attachments

• E-mail 24 Ladywood Rann St 2 .jpg
    E-mail 24 Ladywood Rann St 2 .jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 42
That looks like it Phil, same attics, same distinctive arches over the windows, houses stepped up a hill, four attics before first roof step, five before the next ....:)

Last edited:
Yes you are right Phil. Another one to rewrite the notes on.
The next one should keep people quiet. I think it may be looking out from monument road towards the reservoir. Not many land,marks though. It seems to have been taken between two groups of shots of the Oratory School

30A.jpg

Last edited:
These pictures of Armageddon are extraordinary; my first long look at Birmingham was in 1982, so I missed most of the big clearances. You mention the reservoir, Mike: wasn't the Tower Ballroom here? I saw The Smiths play there around 1985. The line of trees in your photo, faint on the horizon, might pinpoint the location; perhaps they remain.

i dont know that area mike but its a great photo...love the attic windows they take me right back to growing up in villa st..the houses look sturdy enough so they may still be standing..

lyn

Yes, the first two attic projections have finials - and the shallow-arched windows with white keystones are a nice touch.

Extreme right of photo - glimpse of a tower block. Behind the trees I think there are houses. If they're on a tree-lined road it's likely to be a road with good sized houses which weren't demolished. (I notice that few back-to-back housing areas had trees). And there's probably a road running parallel with the tree line starting from the one house still standing on the extreme left and running in the direction of the factory on the right.Viv.

Last edited:
could be looking out towards the res mike...chimney stack as landmark (but could be gone now) and block of flats to the far right

viewfinder the tower ballroom is still there and up and running...when my old knees feel up to it i go rollar skating there just to prove i can still do it lol

lyn

Think it's Aston Uni on the horizon. Can just make out an aerial on top of the building. V v.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Can we deduce anything from the shape of that chimney? Very square shaped. Is it typical of a certain type of industry? Viv.

Back