• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley school of art

Dave
Am not sure whether the building is actually owned by the muslim community organization still, but it is open to all and when I was there there were a group of local muslims having a discussion in the corner of the gallery.

hope this is clearer for you for the 1944-60 poster

P1010189A.jpg

What is happening to the Baths across the street are they been restored does anyone know?
For those interested, I believe that this is/was Miss Squires our English teacher...
Dave A
View attachment 134364
Dave. Do you know if anyone still has records of who was there and when? I have tried to contact some of the older members with no success. Of course, I am in all probability one of the oldest still alive now!!!!

Dave
Am not sure whether the building is actually owned by the muslim community organization still, but it is open to all and when I was there there were a group of local muslims having a discussion in the corner of the gallery.

hope this is clearer for you for the 1944-60 poster

View attachment 134368
Thanks, Mike. I was trying to read the articles, also, the photo of the bombed out building, could that be the church, that was next to the school that was bombed when I was going there I wonder? that, of course, has been rebuilt since

No I think that is just a general photo of bombing in the area. Have enlarged the side panel as much as I can.

P1010189B.jpg

What is happening to the Baths across the street are they been restored does anyone know?

Dave. Do you know if anyone still has records of who was there and when? I have tried to contact some of the older members with no success. Of course, I am in all probability one of the oldest still alive now!!!!
There is a Moseley School of Art Association on Facebook that has a lot of info...and of course this one..http://www.moseley-art-school.co.uk/ and yes, you may possibly be the oldest living ex student of MSA. stick around eh!
Dave A

Another photo of some of the staff & pupils of the school in 1962 at least that's the date given with the photo. A couple of things that I note from the photo are the ratio of of boys to girls is about 2-1, are boys more artistic than girls? Mind you it might not be the full photo. The other thing is I wonder what caught the eyes of the group of lads on the right? Any of our posters pupils there in 1962?

Moseley Art School 1962.jpg

No I think that is just a general photo of bombing in the area. Have enlarged the side panel as much as I can.

View attachment 134369
I still can not read the writing, does it say what the photo of the bombed out building is, could it be the Church that was bombed next door? I remember when that happened. Someone was killed in the church I think.

Old Brit

The bombed out building in Mikes photo was in fact opposite the top of St Pauls Road and St Paul's Church and was bombed in November 1940. It was next to Allabons Newsagents on the other side of the road to the Art school. Here is a copy of the original photo.

Balsall Heath Moseley Rd Nov 1940 .jpg

So does anyone have any info on the CHURCH that WAS bombed out next to the school I wonder? Seems I did read somewhere that someone did die in the bombing

So does anyone have any info on the CHURCH that WAS bombed out next to the school I wonder? Seems I did read somewhere that someone did die in the bombing

There is a little information here, but no mention of a death.

https://www.facebook.com/moseley.art.school/
For the ex-pupils, this is probably worth looking at/joining if you haven't already. There was a fair sized group of pupils and a couple of ex-teachers at the Wednesday event while the exhibition was on and it looks like there will be another reunion soon (not at the Art School). The school hasn't had any event listed since the exhibition closed and there don't seem to be plans to do anything more just now.
Details will probably be at http://www.moseleycommunityhub.org.uk/ if anything is going to re-open the place.
I've heard a story that the Baths opposite will have one of the baths covered over permanently and converted to offices or something but that rumour has been circulating for so long that it's almost not worth mentioning.

The Baths Were bloody cold in there, very unfriendly place in the late 1940s early 50s

Last edited:
Down the street to the right at the back, inside the wall, playgrounds for the students, I had Maths class in the building at the back teacher (wish I could remember his name?) was a big chap used the cane a lot, Mr Humphries? this was when WW2 was still on 1944 1945 ish The church next door had been bombed out

Down the street to the right at the back, inside the wall, playgrounds for the students, I had Maths class in the building at the back teacher (wish I could remember his name?) was a big chap used the cane a lot, Mr Humphries? this was when WW2 was still on 1944 1945 ish The church next door had been bombed out
I think the building you are referring to was called the Annex...there was only one classroom there, which was upstairs. The remainder of the building was used for PT, or PE, whatever it's called nowadays. I don't recall a Mr Humphries, but I was there from 1953-56.
Dave A

I think the building you are referring to was called the Annex...there was only one classroom there, which was upstairs. The remainder of the building was used for PT, or PE, whatever it's called nowadays. I don't recall a Mr Humphries, but I was there from 1953-56.
Dave A
Yes it was upstairs I am only guessing as to the teacher's name but he was a big chap liked to use the cane

Looks like the Moseley Community Hub is now open.
This Balsall Beach sign is still on the Moseley Road Baths opposite (although photo taken last week).
The "Community hub" is open for business and has been for some time. They rent out space for art studios, a gallery, and any kind of event. There was a wedding going on there last week. It isn't necessarily open to the general public. If the gallery is open you'll see a sign outside with the name of the exhibition and what hours/days it is open but they don't put the sign out if it isn't open. They have other events on occasion. There's an "open studio" this weekend but nothing else I've seen notice of. If it works see http://www.moseleycommunityhub.org.uk/whats-on/
The baths are open on a regular basis. The "Balsall Beach" poster is fairly new (this year at least).

Can't see myself popping into the gallery any time soon, don't get off the 50 until Kings Heath (if heading from the city centre), or outside of Selfridges (if I caught the 50 in Kings Heath).

I going to a meeting there this coming Sunday. The grid project team with be photographing past of Briningham Eastside for the 2020 Grid Project

Back