• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley school of art

Did anyone go the Moseley School of art on Moseley Rd late 1940s early 50s? John Crump OldBrit

John I have been trying to get in touch with the reunion people, have you been in touch any of your old class mates at all? I am now living in Parker, Colorado USA.

Hi oldbrit (John), any chance that you are the John Crump who went to Pre-Dip in Birmingham (Cotteridge) and later to the London Film School and then went on to work in TV. Hope you are well. My friend Keith Thomas went to Moseley, may be the same time as you. I think Roy Wood of Wizard, etc., also went there at the same time

Hi oldbrit (John), any chance that you are the John Crump who went to Pre-Dip in Birmingham (Cotteridge) and later to the London Film School and then went on to work in TV. Hope you are well. My friend Keith Thomas went to Moseley, may be the same time as you. I think Roy Wood of Wizard, etc., also went there at the same time
No not that JOHN CRUMP I became a alto sax player. Had a band in the Brum area. Left for the USAin 1957. now live in Parker,Colorado USA

I worked with Body Draughtsmen who had studied at the Moseley School of Art before going to work for Mulliners of Bordesley Green which was then bought up by the then Standard Motor Company. They ended up working at Standard Triumph in Coventry. I recall one Warwick Acland who I am pretty sure went there; other names escape me but may come back.

There is a lot, and meen a lot of photos and reunion info on "Friends United" site UK browser, hope this helps you oldbrit.

Hi old Brit - I was at Moseley 62-69. If you haven't already got the info the website for the school association is www.moseley-art-school.co.uk also you can email them on graeme.l.collins@blueyonder.co.uk the next reunion is at the school on sunday 20th May2012 and last but not least if you go onto Facebook and search Moseley Art School there are a lot of ex pupils who post there (110 of us at the moment). Hope this helps, best wishes Elaine
Did anyone go the Moseley School of art on Moseley Rd late 1940s early 50s? John Crump OldBrit

13-05-15. 009.jpg13-05-15. 010.jpg13-05-15. 007.jpg13-05-15. 005.jpg I was taking a photo of the playground, when this elderly indian gentleman came out, I told him I was a former pupil, and he kindly offered to show me around.

John is that the old Butchers Transfer Printing firm to the right of the playground? Spent 6 months there.

Great photos John, I must have passed the school thousands of times when I used to use the alley at the bottom of Lime Grove on the way to my school at Dennis Rd, but it's the first time I've ever saw inside it. Didn't Butchers move up to the old Highgate Fire Station at the junction of Highgate Square and Moseley Rd. I have no idea if they are still there or even still in business.

Butchers still trade but now out of town. I did look them up a while back but forget where are now Phil.

John I can still picture the front room of the 'house' which was used by Mr Butcher as his office.

so pleased you enjoyed your trip down memory lane john...smashing photos as well

lyn

A photo of The School of Art & Butchers Transfers Offices from back in the day. I looked on Google and it seems that Butchers are no longer at the Old Fire Station though it seems the old offices and factory are still standing.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Moseley Rd  JH Butchers Transfers.jpg
    Balsall Heath Moseley Rd JH Butchers Transfers.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Moseley School of Art.JPG
    Moseley School of Art.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 27
Butchers were featured in this thread Phil - and are now based out at Crossgate Industrial Park, Redditch but are now known as

Butchers Printed Products

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantasic photos Oh the Memories! Had a class down strairs by the playground and upstairs looking out at the baths in the late 40s early 50s, Will visit there myself in September this year. John Crump Parker. Colorado USA

Hi John, I'm Dave Astley and I'm from your year...did we meet at previous reunions?

Great pix BTW...

Hi Dave. I have never been to any. I live in the USA, I was trying to remember the name of the big chap teacher that use to give me the CANE Mr Humphrey? I would love to get an old school tie. or a badge? John Crump Parker. Colorado USA

Hi Dave. I have never been to any. I live in the USA, I was trying to remember rge name of the big chap teacher that use to give me the CANE Mr Humphrey? I would love to get an old school tie. or a badge? John Crump Parker. Colorado USA

I'm in Toronto, but I have been to several reunions, mostly our year 1953/56, and not in the school. What house were you in?

Dave A

this had to be taken in 3 seperate shots folks as its a very long photo...wonder if any of our members are on it

lyn

Attachments

• school 2.jpg
    school 2.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 62
  • school 1.jpg
    school 1.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 63
  • school 3.jpg
    school 3.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 70
Lyn

I have stitched this together, but there is some missing between the centre and the right hand side.

Moseley-School.jpg

thanks mort thats great...the trouble with taking this was that its high up on a wall at the bull pub and you cant take an eye level shot of it as its above the steps that lead into the back garden of the pub lol...

lyn

Was wondering why the guy is wearing an army uniform on the end (far right) in 1956? He looks old enough to be a teacher and I appreciate there was still National Service in 1956, but can't work out why he's in uniform. Viv.

Back