• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

• Thread starter Thread starter shannon
  • Start date Start date
.Hello Chris M. Thank you so much for turning round the pictures I put on - In Picasa they are the correct way up but, as you see, when I post them they are Topsy-turvy.

I hope someone can recognize the people - I know some were taken in 1967. Mostly Al on a truck the year we go married. Many thanks again. Chris.

Miriam.

I worked at IMI from 1964-1971, originally packing sporting cartridges and then as a clerk but can't seem to find any information or photographs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks Mike-g. I have managed to find site. There is LOTS there but most of it seems well before my time! I will carry on searching. LindaJune

Thanks ChrisM. I have searched all sites marked 'Kynoch' and am surprised that there is nothing about the making and packing of sporting cartridges at the time I was working there. I will have to spend some time and write and share some of my happy memories and, when I eventually get a scanner, I will try and put up the couple of photos I have.

Hello Linda and welcome. That is what this forum is about, sharing our memories and the history of where we lived and worked. It will be good to read your happy memories of Kynochs.:)

Doesn't work for me either, Alf.

Perhaps it's a page stored on your PC which is coming up, rather than a live link?

Chris

Still works for me, I always do it the same way I don't remember one failing before:)
Search Cut Paste

Frothy my mom always called a part of it Lightening fastner?. Would that have been zip fastners. When you'r young these things don't interest you so I never questioned her. Jean.

Last edited:
Hello Frothy. I am sure you must have had a Lightning Fastener Zip on some part of your clothes at one time. Trouser Fastener possible.
Al and I worked for LF. For - me about 14 years and Al about 25/30 years. It was one of the best places to work for. Miriam.

Hello Frothy. I am sure you must have had a Lightning Fastener Zip on some part of your clothes at one time. Trouser Fastener possible.
Al and I worked for LF. For - me about 14 years and Al about 25/30 years. It was one of the best places to work for. Miriam.

I'm down at witton ever night picking my wife up from IMI

Thanks Chris will take a look. Another question regards Kynocks I lived in Holte road as a child and remember smoke coming out of a very tall chimney. Was that from the IMI?. Jean. PS just been back and looked in Chris and there is a very large chimney on one of the early photo's.

I didn't know zips were made at Kynochs.
https://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=46932
frothblower,miriam said that it was one of the best places she worked at,but i will tell you this it was the best place to work at,i was an apprentice there and finished up in the LF development toolroom , and i met some of the most decent people in the the whole of my life. i was one of the first to make the slider ass. m/c,s,and i will look back with lots of fond memories.thanks for the film of the LF you have sent to the forum,never seen that before,brilliant!!

Bee Gee. Still using your little black book? Yes. I do have Pam's phone number. She is my age now [76] and was George Meacham's [Manager of LF] Secretary].

She isn't the girl you fancy in the middle of the dance night picture BUT she is very nice. Miriam.

My wife recently came across a long forgotten folder that was given to her by her workmates at Lightening Fastener on 11th.May 1956 on her leaving to have our first "nipper".The four sides of the folder are covered with "cut outs" of prams,rattles etc etc.and each cut out was signed by one of the wife's workmates.This ritual would ,I suppose be carried out whenever a woman left to have a "nipper",not only from Lightening Fasteners but from most firms in "Brum".(A little bit of history to the firm but a big bit to the woman leaving,no doubt)
Tried to attach scan of one of the four side of the folder for intrest sake but for some reason am unable to do so.

How lovely I had forgotten about the leaving gifts. There is a photo of my sister in law on the Lucas Site with her leaving presents when she left to have her first child. It's a shame the scan won't download it may be to big.

I also remember these books, you also had one made for you when you got married. I made loads of them for different people.

I worked at IMI from the 70's in the Strip Mill, calm down girls, strips of metal lol, actually, coils of metal up to 5 ton and depending on how thick the metal was they was miles long, some could take if i remember correctly about 45mins to run through a machine at 12/1500 ft per min.
There was a lot of different departments on that site when i was there and the metal they used came from our mill, here are the ones i can remember, Strip Mill, Sheet Mill, Wire Mill, Old Mill sometimes refered to as the Clock Shop, that place was like going back into the dark ages, Titanium, Lightning Fastener, Copper Tube, Kynoch Mint and of course Ammunition, can still hear those shells being shot off down the tunnel as you walked to the resturant, there was two. When on nights we walked to the main one by the main entrance, we only had a 20min break so it was a good meal and a pint in the middle of the night.

bren

Only in the night, too many directors and office staff in the day, i know they used to do nice puddings down there

bren

Back