• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

• Thread starter Thread starter shannon
  • Start date Start date
Edit. Images referred to are unavailable.

Thanks Jean fo ight of pictures.

Post 187. Tom Round Presenting Certificate.

Post 188. Tom round again presenting gift.

Unfortunately Tom died in 2008. I always found him a nice person to work with. Miriam.

Hi

Out of the past comes Ray Jennings. The hours I must
have spent with him as an Apprentice in the Toolroom.
Nearly 50 years at Kynochs.
Ray spent a fair ammount of time working om Tank Busting
shels. German Armour for all sorts of reasons was difficult to
Pierce. Following design changes Ray would have to grind
the Various shapes and take them off to the Test area
for Firing. Has fast has one worked the Germans modified their
Armour and so it went on.
We use to go to Ray's for Tea he lived on the Walsall Road
Great Barr with my Girlfriend at the time.
What a great guy thanks for the Picture.

Mike Jenks

It was good to see a picture of Tom Round again - it has been a long time, unfortuneately he died 2008.

Had second eye done today. Miriam.

Edit. Image referred to unavailable.

Group photos of Kynoch Staff mid to late 1950 's. Dad worked in the rolling mills, I dont know if the others are all from this section or other parts of the plant. The first is a social trip to London, the second at the Witton works
dakemp,i know the bloke at the back in the r/h photo centre,his name is ivan atherton he used to live on the pheasey estate.he worked as the foreman in the lightening fastener development toolroom he was a great guy. i worked in there and along with denis rushbrook who has died we made the first slider ass.m/cs.they were great days!!!the job was so interesting they had to try and get me to go home ahah!!

Re: Kynochs

Hi
Alway's be ICI to me. What a place A city within a City.
Spent 5 years there fro 1959 to 1964 as an Apprentice.
Attached an Article Carl Chinn used a few years ago
and updated a little.

Mike Jenks
hi mike i was a apprentice around 1956 to 1960,in 1957 i then was moved to the rod mill and finally after finishing app.i ended up in the LF development toolroom.it was a great job i was one of the first ones to make the slider ass m/cs.

To Al Banner

My wife was browsing through Birmingham History and mentioned Artistic. I recognised your name immediately and recall many of the others mentioned.

You may have forgotten me (or possibly would wish to!), Peter Shepherd was in the drawing office from 1954 to 1956 and again from 1958 to 1959. Its many years since I was in Birmingham but I still remember the days I spent in Artistic.

Peter

Hello Peterkin,

Al says it is so long ago now that although he recals the name he can't put your face to it . Hows life been trarting you. Al's wife Miriam.

Group photos of Kynoch Staff mid to late 1950 's. Dad worked in the rolling mills, I dont know if the others are all from this section or other parts of the plant. The first is a social trip to London, the second at the Witton works

I have just found this website today and it is so interesting!

I worked with Fred Kemp for a number of years until he retired. I always found him very committed to his job but easy to get on with. I was a Plant Engineer in the Strip Mill and was always involved when the equipment broke down.

I'll post more of my recollections after I've had a think about it.

I'll post more of my recollections after I've had a think about it.

Welcome to the forum, oldrolled.

Yes, please do! If you can, please include dates, even if very approximate, with your memories and experiences.

Do a search on "Kynoch" to see other threads either devoted to or referring to the Company, if you haven't found them already.

Chris

Dear Al and Miriam

After I left Artistic I was in Proof of the Ammunition Department. I met my furture wife there and in 1967 began teaching at Cannock Technical College, moving to Bishop Auckland College in 1970. I retired in1995 and live still live in the north east where the country side is beautiful and quiet.

I have tried to insert a photograph from shortly after I left Artistic, you will recognise my best man as Bill Hemming.

Peter Shepherd

Hello Peterkin, Good to hear from you. Remember Bill Hemming very well. Looking forward to seeing his picture. Miriam.

Hello Peter,

Great Picture- and don't you both look grand. Remember Bill in the Drawing Office, also remember how I last saw him - I think it was at one of the later L>F. dinners. Sad.

See Pam Cooper occasionally at LF Pensioners Dinners.

If you check thread "Romantic" you should see a picture of " how Al and I were" - amazing - so many years ago.

Miriam.

This is the very photo. Jean. Still can't remember the gentlemans name.

I think it was Rupert Crane who was the IMI Managing Director when I worked there.

Although it was before my time, I understand he started in the Strip Mill on the technical side.

Hello Jean. Rupert Craine. is the Man n the photograph.

Bob Bolton, I met just after Christmas- unfortuenately it was at a funeral of another 'old mate' infact two old mates/ One Jack Musson and the othet Tom Jones . Bob worked in Supply Depart whilst I was there and and Jack and Tom in L. Fasteners. Miriam.

Incidently, Jack was 102 and Tom was 80.

Thanks for that Miriam. It wasn't the funeral we saw that you attended a few weeks ago up the Queslett road was it?. Jean.

Hello Jean. Post 183. A group of people with Beryl Collins [I recall them working in L.F. Despatching Dept.

Beryl was supervisor. facing her Denis Myatt. Behind Beryl is ???? Knight, Can't remember her first name.

Third man on back row was Ron Dugard [died]
Fourth Man - names escapes me but he has died.

If I think hard/long enough , the little grey cells begin to work. Mriam.

the photo taken in the witton works ie .the chap at the back in the middle is "monty " ivan atherton he lives on the pheasey estate, he was my foreman in the LF development toolroom,he was a great guy to work for.he used to drink at the queslett and the old horns

Miriam would 183 be Brenda Night by any chance?. Jean. I know I'm off thread but hope your eyes are better Miriam.. Jean.

hELLOjEAN. i HAD A THOUGHT AND i THINK IT MAYBE - HELEN KNIGHT - RING ANY BELLS?

bUMPED INTO CAR DOOR AND EYE VERY SORE AND i HAVE A BEAUT OF A BLACK EYE!!

nOT SEEING VERY CLEARLY. aHHH MIRIAM.

I have unearthed a few faces from 1961 and for convenience of viewing have put them up on a website page here.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris. I remember mom talking about a Mr.Clay and she did work there at that time. I'm sure a few people on this thread will be pleased with your find. Jean.

Back