• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Ray....was this George Dolphin the Head?? He seems quite young in the one of him, wife & father. The one of Daphne was taken in the late 30s. Does he look familiar?

Hi Angela

The picture with his dad and sister is a very good likeness to how I remember him the one on his own not sure as you say he's much younger.

I'm sure the old picture is him as you say very upright and in charge, just call me Mister.

Ray

Yep, he did look an old misery didnt he?? I never met him or his family (maybe fortunately if he was a pain!!). Thanks for confirming it was him anyway, I'll be able to add this new info to my records. Cheers Ray.

just come across your memories of the Hawthorne Road, My mum used to live in Birdbrook Road and used to tell me stories of the monkey run,

I remember the cafe on Hawthorne Rd spent hours walking the monkey run, never done any good I went to Brighton and met my wife, the holiday express's they used to run.

I also remember Toys across the road and Gwnnes the sweet shop, Matty's Radio & T/V, Reynolds the Gents outfitter they moved to Bournemouth never heard from Martin Reynolds again.

I remember Birdbrook Road I lived at 101 every winter the back gardens further down the road used to flood from a stream that was buried during the building of the houses.

The stream ran all down the back of Birdbrook Road from the Convent at Old Oscott Hill right down to by Brooklyn Farm which used to be on the site of the College of the same name.

Where watercress used to grown when the Aldridge Road was not much more than a lane up to Barr Beacon we used to walk there to play in what we used to call the dungeons on the side of the Beacon.

Do'es anybody remember the Drakes Drum being Penny on the Drum nicknamed by the Americans station on the Pheasey Estate, used hold dances at the church on the corner of Birdbrook Rd.

Re: What's in a name

hi Catkin, just reading some stories, brings back a few memories, the cul-de-sac at the end of the mayfair passage is Wimpole Grove, sited between the Mayfair passage and Plumstead road

Hi Alf,
i knew most of the lads & lassies who lived in Wimpole grove,
used to write to one of them when i was abroad.

and Ray Mr Dolphin was a decent head master even though he gave me 6 of the best,as for the milkbar on Hawthorne Rd,that was our regular hangout as was the "Monkey run" bet we might know each other somehow

Dolphie, My wifes family was named Cashmore. Also I knew of a Barlow family who lived up Cooksey Lane.
Have a nice day, Wally.

hello MSKG sorry been so long answering I used to live in Hurlingham Road up till late 50s i move to Aldridge then lived in Sussex Ave later moved to Rushall now in Australia Allen

Dear Carol Watts. I have been readying through the back posts on Kingstanding and notice you mention 'Wardour Grove'. I had a good school friend living in the Grove and I wondered if you knew of her? Her name [then] was JUNE ROBERTS. I think she had a brother training to be a doctor.
Have you any recall. Miriam.

Hi

I can give you a scan of a badge for the Kingstanding Ex-Servicemens' Social Club (all the way from New Zealand, via the USA......)

Yes that would be interesting its one on my list used it mainly in the mid 1970s.

My late sisters house's Garden backed on to the rear of the Club

hi there.you said you had freind called joane brown if you go on freindsreunited you will be able to get in touch with her.i lived in darley dale as well.

Hi Alf: Can you please tell me the address of the Ex-Serviceman's Club in Kingstanding? I think it might have been along Kingstanding Road that's why I want to know. Thanks.

hi jennyann..theres one round the corner from me..bottom of warren farm road...dont know if thats the one you want.....

lyn

Hi Jennyann my friend from the grove has been a member for years so if there is any info let me know and I will contact her. It is the one Lyn mentioned. Jean.

Sorry Lyn and Jean that I missed the two replies when I enquired about the address of the ex-Serviceman's Club on Kingstanding Road. I may have the wrong place but it was originally a Co-op many decades ago. It was on the right hand side as you came down from Chester Road along to the Kingstanding Circle. It seems as though it was next to a playing field. A two storey brick building. The building has probably been used by several tenants over the years. My interest in it is the fact that my parents first home was in a flat that was above the business.

Remember Brutons from Binstead Rd.also Pat Latham.Think Pat had sister.Either way I remember walking to Cranbourne Rd.school with one of the Lathams on the Morning of D Day and talking about the landings we had just heard about on news.Used to know lad at Cranbourne Rd.school named Gibson,he lived in Hurlingham Rd.just above grove

hi jennyann...no thats not the one i was thinking about then...nearly got you lost then...lol

lyn

Hi Lyn:I'll have a look on Google Earth (that's if I don't keep looking at other things in the area).I'll see if I imagined where this places was/is located.

Jennyann. I drve the whole length of Kingstanding Road today looking for your site ( with camera to take photo ) I could find nothing resembling what you described. Kingstanding EX club is in Warren Farm Road. quite a way from where you described.

Mike will give it a go on Monday if I can get round Pete?. Will scroll back and see if I can recognise where Jennyann means. Pete just said maybe it's where the Chinese take away is now that is next to the playing field?. Jean.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know if there was a Ex Service on Kingstanding Road. Only one i know of is in Warren Farm , as far as i know this was started about 1950 by some lads who had just left the army and went on to be long serving members of the committee.

Hi Victor
Like you the only Ex Service Mans club I can remember in Kingstanding is the one in Warren Farm Rd.Believe club was started by the many men demobed after war and was financed by them buying £1 shares in club.

The Ex Service mans club is in Warren Farm Road it was next to the
old swimming Baths which as been knocked down now.

Carol

Many thanks everyone for your efforts. I have driven by that place so many times and perhaps I imagined that it was an ex-serviceman's club on the ground floor sometime ago. Now I know it wasn't.

The one memorable time that was very poignant and it happened by accident really as I didn't request a drive by, was the day of my Mother's funeral, we were all on our way to Sutton Crem via Kingstanding Road. I looked out of the window of the car and saw the building that I knew Mom and Dad had started their married life in and in a way it was a special moment because I knew that they were very happy there. It was quite a large space and they used to put records on the gramaphone and dance all over the place.

We'll come up with it in the end I'm sure.

Hi Everyone: After spending an hour on Google I realized that it was College Road we went along and not Kingstanding Road. Duh..... They are close together at one point. I am sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase since I now know that it is College Road where my parents lived above the Co-op I found a reference on another Brum site regarding shopping at the Co-op on College road many decades ago.
I found a photo of the building and there is a playing field adjoining it.
The photo says Hire Association Europe, a big group involved in hiring equipment and training people.I don't think they are in that location anymore.
Anyway, this is the photo and thanks once again.I really appreciate your efforts.

Glad you found what you were looking for Jennyann. I don't recognise it but will take a trip over the weekend. Jean.

It became a Nursery for a short while, kids not plants, and now it is a shop, newspapers, groceries etc etc. The club you refer to is opposite this place, Ex Service Mens Club on the corner of College Rd/Hurstwood Rd. The ground next to the shop used to be the school fields and then next to that is the recreation park with the brooke running between them, this makes it's way through Witton Lakes/Brookevale/Salford.

bren

Hi Jean: I'm very happy to have this sorted out. Thanks Bren for the description of the area and what's around there now. My Aunt Nell used to live in Finchley Road from the l940's through to the l960's and I now rememberthat this place was at the end of the Finchley Green Area where it crosses College Road on it's way to Short Heath.

Back