• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Hi Moss,did you ever know the Robbins lads Norman & john? also kitty smart?
they live in that grove by the side of the school

one the fifth from the left
Jean - I've just looked at the higher res pic (I'd reduced size to post), it's an interesting pic, the old style bus stops with the woman standing holding the child, the kerbs painted black and white so the little night traffic could see where to go without headlights. On the Beeches pic I notice the shops had been built before many houses, and maybe the Beeches Pub might be in the pic. I lived as a child on the Beeches Estate.

I will ask my son to take a photo from their new dormer bedroom which is so high you can see town. There are new houses just down from Steve's now. My dentist has the first building above the barracks and I have an appointment Monday morning so must take my camera with me. Jean.

In the second pic, I remember on the left there used to be a Hall ? in the 60s, used for functions, while at one my LP of the Ventures did a Walk, still have the LP sleeve

Re: kingstanding drill hall

oldmohawk great pictures on the nature strip in front of the drill hall were a couple of very old oak trees (shown in the photo) I noticed they were not there when I come back to Brum for a holiday in 2000 as we passed by on a 33 bus, Moss

It would be interesting to see exactly where the Beeches Estate photo was taken.The only clue I can see is the steet sign at the junction.Fascinating photo.I was born on the Beeches at Scarsdale Road.Les

Hello Les,
I use to sledge down your road in the winter, straight over Beeches Rd. I think I have a photo somewhere of that area, I'll look for it and post it. I have posted 1940's pictures of Grindleford Rd on the forum.
oldmohawk.

Just read Ray Griffiths interesting account of living in Birdbrook Road Great Barr. I lived there from 1956 until 1968 and never knew about the watercress farm. I lived opposite the chip shop, off licence and grocery shop. Not aware that our garden ever flooded. Thanks for the memories, as they say

researching. Bracey, Tibbins, Lyons, Hollingsworth, Baker and many more Brummie ancestors

Brum baby would you like me to take a couple of photo's as it is today? only my hairdressers is in Birdbrook. Do you mean the end towards the colledge?. Jean.

Re: kingstanding Halesbury grove

Hi Dennis The only one I can remember in Halesbury Grove is Lesley? Pitman I do remember the brook/storm water drain that was at the end of the grove. It started somewhere by the Kingstanding circle ran behind the houses on Danesbury crescent under Warren Farm road it then came out on the Warren farm island were the prefabs were, it then went under a short bridge in the middle of the island. On the walkway over this bridge was the Birmingham Coat of Arms (the artist and the blacksmith ) laid out in crazy paving, this may have been destroyed when the brook on this island was covered over. At the end of the island the brook went underground again. This was a brick build tunnel about 4ft high with a concrete base as kids we used to traverse this tunnel and others on its journey all the way to Witton Lakes They were long dark tunnels and we did not have touches. In 1951? there was a hugh thunder storm and this brook was completly full.The water even went over the spillway at Witton Lakes. We never played in that brook again. Do you want more Moss Adelaide South Australia

Hi Pembroke i am Allen Gibson we did live on the left side of a entry to the back yard just up from Leyton grove i went to Cranbourne road from 1937 i seam to remember the name but cant place you, Hurlingham road was great in those days ,i heard its not very nice now .i have not been back there since 1984 my mother lived there for over 60 years

Re: kingstanding-beeches estate

Hi Mohawk,Now you are bringing back the memories.I also used to sledge down Scarsdale Road Hill with my mates.We always had a lookout for cars at the bottom but it got a bit scary if the call was too late because of the speeds we used to get up to.I lived at No.40 which was right on top of the hill.What years would you have been sledging.I did it about 1955 to 1965 with the rest of the baby boomers.Wher were you living?Les

Hi gibbo 2005
I started Cranbourne Rd.School 1940 so I think perhaps it was your brother Eric I knew.I more or less left the area when I joined navy in early 1950s. Going by one of Eric's posts re.Peckham Rd.school I would have been there the same time as him but can't remember him from there,although I can remember from earlier time at Cranbourne Rd.
Regards
Pembroke

sledge down Scarsdale Road Hill
Hi Les,
I sledged probably 49/50, supposed to be 'grown up' by 55 - 65, and we risked it without look-outs. I lived in Grindleford Rd and have posted pics of the play field and brook where the M6 runs now. If you can't find them on here, I'll put links on. GoogleEarth street cam has been round Beeches Estate, Hassop Rd and along Beeches Rd etc. Apologies if you've already looked.
I went Beeches Rd , Aldridge Rd, Handsworth Tech schools. Here's a couple of pics from 1941 - the time of the WW2 bombing of Brum, the one pic show what looks like a water tank on the island.
Oldmohawk
Phil

bringing back the memories Les
Hi Les,
Just noticed you are in Australia. If you hit Search, type Grindleford, and search posts, you will see various posts, with the comments, and photos I've posted about the Beeches. I think I even mentioned someone who emigrated to Australia.
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

Hi Mohawk,I have just spent a couple of hours catching up on your posts to bring me up to date.The fellow in Oz that you posted to was my brother,although I did not know he used this site.He went to Aldridge road school a few years after you I think.There was a photo you posted of your wife at Great Barr Comp(1959) which is the year I started there.What was her maiden name.I am going to have another good look at the photo you posted of The Beeches-1936............I am fascinated as to where it was taken from.Les

Re: kingstanding Greenholme road

Hi Mohawk a aged brummy freind of mine told me today that Greenholme road was originally called Green lane and it was a very narrow rocky dirt track, the sand pits on the bottom right hand side had a firering range where the T A used to fire there pistols. I would say that the photo of Beeches road was taken just round the bend from the Drakes Drum pub.
Moss

Hi Moss,
Here are a couple of pics courtesy of Google Street view. In the b1 pic the bushes on the right would be where the early 1936 view was taken from. The b2 pic shows the view down Thornbridge Ave. Yes the 'Green Lane' was changed to the posh Greenholme Rd name. There is a pic in the '1st Peddle Car' thread of me and my sister at the bottom of the road during WW2. I was going to post the pics for Les in 'Oz' but he's probably in bed now. I'll put a short post to Les pointing him here. He's asked me a few questions which I'll have to look for the answers. I'm going to switch into the Linux partition of my 'puter where I have a link to a site showing some great pre war pics of the area.
oldMohawk

I am fascinated as to where it was taken from.Les
Les,
If you look at the previous post, I've sent a pic to Moss, which shows where I think the 1936 photo was taken from. I sent it to him because it might be well into the night in Oz !! With regard to your other questions, I'll have a trawl through the forum to update myself and hopefully get answers.
oldmohawk
icon7.gif

Last edited:
photo you posted of your wife at Great Barr Comp(1959) Les
Hi Les, She is 2nd from right in the front row. Her maiden name was Penny Hipkiss. I haven't yet found the post I sent to your brother - I'll keep looking. My 1st ever post on the forum was #63 in the 'Spring Hill Ice Rink' thread. A lot of us on the forum have re-lived the good days of our youth in that thread. You can see where my 'forum name' came from. A link with some really old photos of the Gt Barr area is shown below. They range from very early to the building of the the Perry Barr underpass, although that was 45 years ago
icon10.gif
Some good pics of Perry Hall park etc. There are a lot of photos, it takes time to search through them.
oldmohawk
Phil
icon7.gif

https://www.search.digitalhandswort...5&records=250&direction=1&pointer=6185&text=1

Hello again Mohawk,Thanks for the links,I'll look at the photos tomorrow.My brother is Ozontop.I'm off to bed now.Les

Re: kingstanding the bogs

Old Mohawk thanks for the quick reply. I in Australia like les. I remember the bogs that were behind the beeches school we used to catch frogs there When I came home for a holiday in 2000 I saw there is now a golf driving range there, also where the hugh sandpit at the side of Aldridge road belonging to the Quesslet Sand and Gravel, that is now a fairly big hill. How many tons of rubbish did they dump there. Moss

Hi Moss,
Did not realise you were in Oz. I see we over here have just took a pasting in the 1 day cricket !
The hill by Aldridge Rd did have a lot of rubbish dumped and they have to burn off methane gas from it. They have turned part of it into a nature reserve with a pool etc.
If you search threads ref Queslett or Quarries etc you may find info on the forum. I have seen pics of it on here, it's just finding them, others may remember where they are.
icon7.gif

oldmohawk

Hi gibbo 2005
I started Cranbourne Rd.School 1940 so I think perhaps it was your brother Eric I knew.I more or less left the area when I joined navy in early 1950s. Going by one of Eric's posts re.Peckham Rd.school I would have been there the same time as him but can't remember him from there,although I can remember from earlier time at Cranbourne Rd.
Regards
Pembroke

My last year at Peckham Road was spent in the science lab with the science teacher Frank Payne, he called me 'bottlewasher' and it stuck, I was bottlewasher to all the kids long after I left school.

On the subject of the Co-op Dairy my younger brother's best mate worked there in the late fifties/sixties, when I moved down here he came visiting with my brother and fell for the local milkman's daughter, they married and he's still here, I was chatting with him just last week, his name's Dave Ford. E.

Re: kingstanding photo links

oldMohawk thanks for the links you are teaching me a lot. behind Danesbury cres/Hurlingham road corner was a hill called The Pimple it was also called The Ash Hill there were no ash trees on it, was it a dump at some time? Moss

Hi Moss,
I don't know too much about Hurlingham Rd in Kingstanding. There may be other forum members who know about it.
olmohawk
icon7.gif

Back