• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Nostalging again - what do I remember about Kingstanding ?
Well it has to be the swimming baths. I can remember standing in long queues outside on hot sunny days thinking about the cool blue water inside, but I can't remember the outside of the building.
On sunny days they only allowed half an hour because another queue had formed. I never learn't to swim as a kid, my mates seemed to float, I just sank, but I used to jump off the top board, luckily my mates fished me out !
I did learn to swim when I was in the RAF aged 21 at an open air pool in a little town in Wiltshire, one minute I couldn't swim, the next I could. I've put a photo of that pool and the day, looking at it I bet it was noisy in the houses next door, but the noise was joyful.
The Baron (Aston) picked me out on recently posted 38 year old pic of a works group in front of a library in Cambridge.
I wonder whether he can pick me out on this 50 year old pic.
Cheers
oldmohawk
TrowbridgeLido1957.jpg

Last edited:
Hi OM where exactly was this located. We have lived in Dunedin road for 37 years so it must be a very long time ago. JEAN.

Hi Keith,
I thought you'd get it - spot on. Wish I was there now - you always remember when you first ever swim - I was even enjoying Nat Service that day.
Hi Jean,
I might have confused you, the picture is of a Lido in Trowbridge Wiltshire. I don't know whether the houses were built first or whether they suddenly built a Lido next to them. The Lido probably isn't there now. From what I remember of Kingstanding baths, the top board was high, and I was a bit daft jumping off it before I could swim, because I nearly didn't get fished out one time. I presume the baths have maybe been updated or closed by now.
Phil

NOW closed Phill, NEW ONE IN DULWICH RD, ( The old school) large flute slide, & wave machine.
Just great for the kids.
Also got a gym.

I can remember doing my first ever backward dive off the top board at Kingstanding, early 1960's, thought i was gonna land on the side head first hehe. Also spent hours in those long queues and then that half hour flew by and then it was that long walk up Hurlingham back to The Circle just to tell mom i would be in Sutton Park for the rest of the day

bren

Hi Jennyann
Did you ever go into the milkbar on the Hawthorne Rd? that was the place we teenagers used to hang about,and of course Hawthorne Rd & College was our so called "Monkey Run" my mate & I had some good times around there
just come across your memories of the Hawthorne Road, My mum used to live in Birdbrook Road and used to tell me stories of the monkey run,

hello, does anyone remember the setlement in kingstanding, i think it was by the circle. why i am asking is because i used to practice there with my first group (rock n roll) in about 1962-3 thank you.

shardeen

i remember the settlement i nearly broke my back playing soccer there in the 40s it was on Kingstanding road almost opposit Cranbourn road Allen Gibson

HI THERE MY OLD MATE ALF
I Have Experince Of The Pub Game Around King standing I THINK There Was More Of A Commutity In The Old Days In Aston Even In Aston Brook Street And Most Certainly Lichfield d In Those Days People Mixed And Got OnAnd Helped E

Last edited by a moderator:
In October 1642, King Charles was entertained by the Holtes at Aston Hall, before King Charles departed he rode out to a hill near Sutton Coldfield, and held a review of royalist troops. The hill has been named "Kingstanding". The spot where the King stood should be marked by a clump of trees.
Taken from A Royal Town by Hilda Moss

King Charles stood on the top of Kings Rd,at the Beggars Bush end of the road. The hill over looked the whole of Birmingham, that's where The Mount (public house) gets its name and The King Charles pub, both on Kings Rd, Kingstandig.

Carol

Charlie stood on the hill top of Kingstanding Rd/Sutton Oak Rd, the mound is still there and some photo's are on this site . If you look in the A-Z you will see it marked as an "Ancient Monument"

bren

My brother and his wife used to run The Mount, and many years years ago we used to go to The Charlie on Friday nights so I thought it would be nice to think a King had visited both sites. We don't live far from The mound at the top of Kingstanding rd.

Passed thre mount yesterday,seems to be a lot of fresh brickwork,retaining walls etc.

Carol,WAS THAT BEFORE OR AFTER THEY TOOK IS OF THE HILL & MADE IT A BUNGALOW,It was never the same,I used to like the top bar & the way they made it look like you were at the top of the cable car lift on a mounting top.
That was the mount of the 60/70s .
They evan changed the pub sign from one of the "MOUNT IN CORNWALL" To a non discript mountain.
I think it will not belong before it will be just another pub that closes!

HI Allen,

I see Les Bruton from time to time round Aldridge shopping centre, he is doing fine now as he has not been to well over the last 12 month's or so.
I will pass on your comment next time I meet up with him.

Where from Kingstanding are you from ?
I lived ther till we got married in 1966

Regards. Mike

I was born in Alma Street Aston but my Nan used to live in Twickenham Road (No.66) and as it was a much nicer place I used to stay at my Nan's through the week and go home at weekends (mom also used to work so it helped me being at Nan's) I went to Twickenham road school for a couple of years but can only remember one teacher a Miss McGillycuddy (dreadful spelling) I used to play with a family called the Floyds and a Janet Jarvis who also lived in our road also a Jean Smith who lived over one of the shops at the bottom of the road. (happy days).

Hi Ditone I am a Jean Smith too but not the one you knew. I took this photo on Friday of a wind turbine in the catholic church or school grounds from the Kingstanding car park. Jean.

I was born in Alma Street Aston but my Nan used to live in Twickenham Road (No.66) and as it was a much nicer place I used to stay at my Nan's through the week and go home at weekends (mom also used to work so it helped me being at Nan's) I went to Twickenham road school for a couple of years but can only remember one teacher a Miss McGillycuddy (dreadful spelling) I used to play with a family called the Floyds and a Janet Jarvis who also lived in our road also a Jean Smith who lived over one of the shops at the bottom of the road. (happy days).

Could it be this spelling if so you are OK

https://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/mcgillicuddy-family-crest.htm

Not quite sure where that is G G Jean, did you also live in Kingstanding.

Baron was it to do with advertising designer gear only I had one come on a thread but it's gone now. I have reported it. Jean.

Jean when you are looking for something, it not necessary what you think.
When you look for example for Brookvale allotments just put allotments in the search box or Witton or Handsworth it could be on any of these pages.

Ditone it is Cardinal Wisemans school from Kingstanding precinct car park. I came from Aston and now live in Dunedin road. Jean.

My grandparents lived in Hawthorn Road and my mother remembers going into the Anderson shelter during the war. She left school at 12 when the building was taken over for use by the forces. Her brother had a ladies and childrens clothes shop in the road also.

Hi jennyann.

I'm almost sure that Warren Farm was at the bottom of Warren Farm road at near to the old Kingstanding Baths.

Dulwich Rd Junior Infants School at the back of the Boys Seniors to Left and the Senoirs Girls to Right I believe it's a Leisure Centre these days.

I went to Dulwich Rd Senoir Boys behind the Senoir School was the play grounds, there was small between girls & boys no more than 5/6 yards wide, you never crossed this line else it was a visit to Headmaster Dolphin and then to the Head Mistress she both were ruthless.

Happy days.

Back