• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember Phul-Nana perfume? I had a little phial of it when I was at school, and also remember having little scented cards of it.

$(KGrHqUOKpwE7KYr!JwhBPODd8GY)w~~60_12.JPG

Speaking of perfume, I allways remember my aunt Beat advancing on me with a little bottle of "Evening in Paris".

I can hear her now, saying "eeyare, stick summa this on yer shift !".

Such culture !

Judy, I had forgotten about those PHUL-NANA cards, and I do remember them now. Vivienne I used to love the smell of California Poppy scent, and used to put it on my neck, by golly I got the rash to end all rashes, so I don't know what it was made with. Maypolebaz, I had a little plastic ice bucket with a bottle of champagne in it, and this was a small bottle of Evening in Paris, which was a lovely smell. However, over the years it got lost, would imagine it would be worth a lot of money now. It's still possible to buy Evening in Paris though on the internet, not cheap though.

My mum also had Evening In Paris - in a small blue/purple bottle, I think?

Speaking of perfume, I allways remember my aunt Beat advancing on me with a little bottle of "Evening in Paris".

I can hear her now, saying "eeyare, stick summa this on yer shift !".

Such culture !

The Servis Heater ---you suggest they may be dangerous .
Well , I remember as an apprentice one of our electricians had run out of matches .
So to light his fag , he took a strip off the paper liner of the fag packet .
He then stuck it into the glowing coils of the heater and recoiled a few feet , saying unusual words .
He had forgotten (?) that the paper had foil backing . So not only didn't he get a light , he got a bit of a shock .
Well , they say smoking is no good for you .

I can't remember if we have had a mention of that tinned bacon we got during the war, it came from America I believe, and was completely encased in lard inside the tin. It fried lovely.

I was fascinated by some of the memories , but haven't the patience to read all 85 pages , so don't know if anyone has mentioned
Licquorice Root . We used to get it during the latter part of the war , along with other muck that kept us alive . Like Sulphur .
Remember having that ? And the MoF Orange Juice from the clinic ? Horrible stuff .
Any road up (as my brummie mummie used to say) . Licquorice Root . It looked like a root cuz it wuz one , light brown bark and a yellow sapwood when you chewed it . It was very pleasant , kept you regular (not that we gave a sh...) sorry , nearly said it . I think it was intended to supplement the sweet ration .
We enjoyed it , me bruvverz an me . We used to try all sorts of dietary supplements like wheat on the ear from the farm on the outskirts where we lived , fruit scrumped unashamedly from anywhere we thought they couldn't catch us.
I could tell you more , but the timer telling me to take all my medications has just warbled at me .
So yo lot'll afta wate a bit . (still got the accent even though I left Brum in 55 )

Hello mikanmart, Liquorice root is still available in Birmingham from Holland and Barrats health shops and it is exactly the same as it used to be 60 years ago.

Well , that didn't take long . I am sure the sugar coating on all my tablets is making me fat .
So , where were we ? Oh yes , dietary supplements .
Because my Dad refused to deal with the black marketeers (or is that now Coloured Marketeers?) , we had to use our initiative a lot to get things to , frankly , keep us alive . The extra sweets from Canada (bless them) handed out one-a-day at school only helped during school term , obviously . We got extra ones if we'd had to go to the air raid shelter during lessons with our Gas Masks that used to make us giggle madly because of the rude noise the breathing valve made , but the air raids weren't frequent enough to keep us in boiled sweets .
So we went looking for work . I helped clean out chicken houses for an egg or two . Helped the man at the farm with the pig bins--remember them?--tipping the contents into a boiler to make a sort of horrible goo for the pigs which frankly terrified me . No health and safety there though , and we never thought about it .
I asked the coalman if I could help him , but the nearest I got to that was counting the sacks he delivered to our house and telling mom how many had been delivered . The coalman was a rogue though .
But the Baker , Harding's , with his lovely horse pulling a brown , gold lettered cart , he always was willing to let me help for half a loaf , or even a whole one . Same with the Coop milkman , a small milk for stopping his horse wandering off with the smart green cart while he went house to house .
Imagine doing that now .
But my favourite thing gone by was Midland Counties Dairy Ice Cream . Our local grocer (the shop's gone long ago) let us know when the first lot was due and we started a queue that morning awaiting the first delivery ever .
When it came , it was in a cardboard brick , and Mr S..... the grocer got a carving knife and sliced each serving off and carefully placed it between the two biscuits .
"Go on , try it" he said , and I had my first taste of ice cream whilst being eyed with envy and some impatience by the rest of the queue .
Absolute heaven .
And a couple of ladies in the queue cried when they saw how thrilled I was .

img556.jpg
The only one of these I remember is The Wizard.
img556 - Copy.jpg
Of these ones I remember the Mickey Mouse one and the Hotspur.

A kid near where we lived was posher than everybody else. He used to get the "Eagle" and had an Eagle badge.

I was in the "Lion" club. (Bit more downmarket).

Not on the shelf, but I started off with 'Harold Hare' then progressed to 'Judy' and 'Bunty' then it was 'Jackie'. Don't think any of these are around today. Viv.

Viv I loved Bunty. Mom used to buy me Secret 7, Famous 5 and another one very similar but cant remember the name. She always had The Secrets weekly magazine.

Not on the shelf, but I started off with 'Harold Hare' then progressed to 'Judy' and 'Bunty' then it was 'Jackie'. Don't think any of these are around today. Viv.

Gosh, I'd forgotten about Harold Hare, I uses to get that too and also Judy and Jackie.
There was an Enid Blyton magazine which I used to get in the post, I think it was every fortnight (maybe that's what you mean Carolina?

l always had the beano and dandy..my brother had the wizard and hotspur there was'nt any picture in them so l was'nt interested...Brenda

Am I right in thinking that the whole comic wasn't usually in colour? Seem to remember some pages were in colour whilst others were in B&W. Viv.

Just thought of another comis " desperate dan" by the way are the comics beano dandy wizard and hotspur still around after all these years.....Brenda

Am I right in thinking that the whole comic wasn't usually in colour? Seem to remember some pages were in colour whilst others were in B&W. Viv.

The covers would often be in colour, but inside was black & white (with the occasional touch of red).

Thanks Palladin. There were often free gifts with the comics too, especially when a new one was launched. Being the gullible soul I was at that age, I'd be instantly drawn into buying it. Viv.

img557 - Copy.jpg

img557.jpg
If you see the same item more than once, it will be because that product was on sale the previous or later decade.

I definately remember some of these.

A more educational mag, the World of Wonder. Heard someone mention it on the radio this morning during a piece about the New Musical Express. The NME is either 50 or 60 years old today (didn't quite catch that bit). Hard to believe it's that old. Viv.

I well remember the coalman. We had a coalhouse at the side of the house. It came under the stairs and my nan used to stand in the pantry next to it to count the bags being dropped....to make sure we were paying for what was delivered....

Viv apart from the NME there was also another one called Disc. Not sure which one it was out of the 2 that used to have on the back page 'Tales of the Alley Cat' giving out the gossip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back