• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to the record players, we still have one and vinyl LPs and the levellers, a group we like, are releasing their next single on red vinyl, prior to the CD release,just to show vinyl is coming back - time to dust the player off I think!
Sue

Does any one know which shop had the label Prova? I have found a scarf that I bought in the 1970s (I think) in my mother's house with this label.

I do indeed carolina. On my last post I wrote 65's and EP's. I believe they were actually 67's weren't they?

Was it something to do with the speed of the record? 65 rings a bell. Is it revs?I know LP = Long Player EP = Extended Player. The old 78s were quite hard discs, you could melt them and make delightful little bowls out of them. I also liked the images on the sleeves of EPs. Don't think singles came in sleeves with pictures on them, just the record company info. On some records you could pop the middle out. Don't know why! Viv.

Depends on how old you are , to me , ordinary discs were 78's , and some classical stuff was available on 12" at 33rpm .
EP was the name for the "new" , "compact" record . They played at 45rpm .
Do you remember MFP ? Music For Pleasure .
When a normal record is pressed , a bit of it squeezes out like a Pontefract cake . This is sliced off the record and recycled , but the quality is not so good , that is , the quality of the plastic is softer than the original . The recycled plastic was pressed in the same way , using the same master , but sold a lot cheaper because it would not last as long . Hence MFP .
I know this is not strictly Brummie , but the way records are produced is quite interesting . I have to refrain from telling you more because
I will go way off track .

Mike M

Viv The records with the pop out centre had sometimes been played on a jukebox. My Mom & Dad's cafe had a jukebox and it was re-stocked with new records every couple of weeks or so. I often fluttered my eyelids at the guy changing them and was allowed to keep a few. All of them had the centre missing. You could get an adapter (a little round block which fitted on the central spindle of the turntable) so that you could play the records with the middle missing.

Judy

Robert Opie was mentioned in earlier posts. By chance someone gave me one of his book two days ago

Reading through I looked for products made in Birmingham.

Naturally there were very many advertisements for Cadbury's chocolate and cocoa (Bournville) and Birds custard.

Charles Osborne, Gun and metal manufacturers, Lichfield Street
McCallum & Hodson. Papier mache and Japan mfrs. Brearley Street, New Town Row
James G. Perry, Jun. watch chains and guards, and many other items, 18, Legge Streeet
George Sawyer, Plater and many other items. 18, Henrietta Street.

The above were in an 1849 directory. I wonder if any survive: if not when did they cease business?

1850 mentions Joseph Collins, at 170/171 Hockley Place, pen cases and penholders etc.
An 1890 coloured leaflet mentions Frank Rippingille's patent cooking stoves. Hewas at Plume Street, Aston.
The Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company Ltd. (1902) , Para Mills, Aston Cross offer a pair of cycle tiyres for 55 shillings (£2.55)
An unusual item is Dr. Watson's Tonic Stout which seems to be made from malt, hops, kola nut, dandelion etc.! It was made by The Birmingham Food Supply Co. Ltd. Birmingham. It sold for 6d. (2half p) and was said the be "The most wholesome and nourishing drink in the world. I'll take their word for that!

Nearby Coventry has a mention with Rudge Cycles, Singer Cars and Humber Cars.

A lot of the material shown does not give detail of where the product was made but due to the fact that many of the products were in tins of varying shapes (collectors items of course today) means that they have survived for our viewing. It would, in my view, be a fair guess that many of the tin containers for these products were, in fact, made in Birmingham.

Do any of you folks remember the craze for push bikes with cowhorn handle bars???

Yes Neville , I had one .We used to do what BMX bikes do now ; the old Bromford golf course was the place to play . We had jumps , skid patches and no safety gear . I don't recall anyone getting hurt either .

Mike M

The national archives have started a monthly selection of their old copyright pictures. The first is at https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/imagelibrary/advertising-showcase.htm. the most interesting for Birmingham is below
, Empire Self Raising flour in 1901 from Arthur Williams , grocer at 179 gooch st

Empire_four__Arthur_williams__grocer_Gooch_st.jpg

Thank you Judy and Vivienne. I can see that my memory is fading. I remember my first EP, it was Ricky Nelson and there were 4 tracks on it.

Cany anyone remember the perfume White Fire. I can remember it was a little shaped red bottle.

Yes carolina, I remember it well. I bought the little bottle shown on #1364 from a shop in Icknield St., and I had it until a short time ago, when I accidentally threw it and a bottle of Evening In Paris out with some rubbish. I was so upset about doing such a stupid thing.

Maggs - I was very organised when young!! Kept a book listing all my records and I still have it. Probably one of the first records I have listed was Cry by Johnnie Ray whichI think I had in 1953! I had most of his records, plus those of Frankie Laine. Also another early record was Sh Boom by the Crew Cuts which would have been around 1954.

Judy

Judy, thats very efficient, and you must be glad that you kept that listing. Oh I remember the songs you have mentioned, and when I was at school the girls used to got dotty over Jonny Ray and 'Cry', and Elvis singing 'Heartbreak Hotel'. We have a 45 record here of Cliff Richard and the Drifters, this was long before he had the Shadows as his backing group. It belongs to my husband, and he bought it when he was in his late teens. It might be worth a bob or two now. I remember paying 6/7d for Elvis records from a shop on Spring Hill. Jailhouse Rock, Teddy Bear etc etc.

mmn.jpeg
Not quite a consumer product but they were produced and lets all hope the conflict content is never repeated.

How strange that is. I was looking through my record collection the other day and i have the first LP that Cliff Richards made with the Drifters, who were in fact the Shadows, but they had to change
there name because of the American Group called the drifters.

r35860_300 Cliff Richard and the Drifters.jpg

Stars

or if you like you had a severe back pain ; you would have bought a beladonna huge plaster with the black gell and sticky type plaster
it was about twelve inches square and it covered a large area of your back pain usaly you would keep it on for three days they was abit expensive in those days ;
astonian

" Hoarse ? Go and suck a Zube" . I used to love them , ate them like sweets , never got a sore throat .
Went overseas and when I came back , they had gone . So I kept getting sore throat .
HALT
MAJOR
ROAD
AHEAD -------------------when did they go ? I go overseas with the forces and someone has nicked them all when I get back .

I went overseas a lot , each time I came back something else had gone . My first visit to the City Centre after a 3 year stint left me lost . I used to go there on me boike , so knew it well . Never been back since I got lost and had to ask a policeman where to catch a number 55 buz .

Mike M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back