• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh bloige !

Kings Heath baths, getting out of the water, dragging three gallons of chlorine around my nether regions.

Thank God for the Horlicks after we'd got changed !

Perhaps not a product, but a service. Does Midland Red still exist? This picture sums up how I used to think of Midland Red; off to the countryside. We used to catch it at Kingstanding Circle to go to visit my nan in Sutton Coldfield. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330251904.778260.jpg

I was to afraid to get on a Midland Red Viv, they always looked so posh, and I didn't think they would let a little scruff like me ride on their buses. :sorrow:

Barrie.

The M. Red was a great place to work and the company had a good reputation everywhere. If an employee walked into a shop such as Comet or Tandy whilst wearing the uniform, instant credit was guaranteed. The fact that you worked for Midland Red was enough of a reference for most people. A number of the employees worked there purely out of a strong interest in buses, but I worked there because I enjoyed driving for a living and because I was getting married I did not want to be tramping all ober the country with a large lorry. Ooh happy days.

Maypole Baz: I am sure Stratford Blue does still exist as a company but it probably has no connection with any part of the 'carved up' Midland Red. But those resident in the area may well know better, as they say. :friendly_wink:

I don't recall them in the Maypole area but in the 1950's they ran on the 150 route Birmingham to Statford-upon-Avon. They were 'on hire' to the Midland Red and were needed due to severe staff shortages being experienced by the Red.

On the "Old Perry Barr Shopping Centre" thread there's been a disussion about the opening ceremony performed by Minnie Caldwell (Coronation Street). I remember her and Ena Sharples supping Milk Stout in the Snug at the Rovers. Do people still drink that? In fact is it still available? Viv.

Maypole Baz: I am sure Stratford Blue does still exist as a company but it probably has no connection with any part of the 'carved up' Midland Red. But those resident in the area may well know better, as they say. :friendly_wink:

I don't recall them in the Maypole area but in the 1950's they ran on the 150 route Birmingham to Statford-upon-Avon. They were 'on hire' to the Midland Red and were needed due to severe staff shortages being experienced by the Red.

Yes, it was mid-fifties when we used to see the Stratford Blues. They were allways double deckers, (whereas the MR tended to be singles).

I suppose they must've been routed through Alcester.

Thanks for that.

On the "Old Perry Barr Shopping Centre" thread there's been a disussion about the opening ceremony performed by Minnie Caldwell (Coronation Street). I remember her and Ena Sharples supping Milk Stout in the Snug at the Rovers. Do people still drink that? In fact is it still available? Viv.
Your mention of milk stout brought back memories for me. Pre war my Grandmother lived in Trevor Street Nechells and on visits I used to go with her to fetch her daily bottle of "Milk Stout" from the "Mitchel And Butlers" off licence round the corner in Mount Street. After a short time, when I was known at the Off Licence, I used to go and fetch it for her. I handed over the money and asked "Can I have a bottle of nanny's stout please". Reg

Talking of old drinks, can you still get the old ladies favourite "Barley wine" or mackinsons, or pale ale, Indian light ale.??
paul

I have no idea Judy, but I remember once being egged on to have a "Black and Tan", barley wine and Guinness, and nearly falling over, and wondering how on earth the old ladies could drink it steadily all night and go home sober??
paul

I tried both but never together! I used to drink Mackeson and Guiness for the iron after my boys were born - well that was my excuse anyway!!

Your mention of milk stout brought back memories for me. Pre war my Grandmother lived in Trevor Street Nechells and on visits I used to go with her to fetch her daily bottle of "Milk Stout" from the "Mitchel And Butlers" off licence round the corner in Mount Street. After a short time, when I was known at the Off Licence, I used to go and fetch it for her. I handed over the money and asked "Can I have a bottle of nanny's stout please". Reg

There is no way a child would be able to do that nowadays!
My mother used to give me money to buy cigarettes for her on my way home from school, in my school uniform and there was no problem in doing so in the 60's (...and yes, they really were for her not me!!)
Presumably it was not illegal to sell alcohol or tobacco to anyone of any age?

My mum and I would wait for the Midland Red on a Sunday at the Kingstanding Circle - maybe by Rough Road I think. We always went dressed up, sort of Sunday best, including a hat and whitened crepe soled leather sandals. This was the late 1950s. Now I don't know if it was because we were going on the Midland Red, or whether it was because it was Sunday or because we were going to visit my nan or because we were going to 'up market' Sutton. Maybe all four reasons! But it was a pretty serious affair, no messing around, quiet on the bus etc. Despite all this palaver I always enjoyed the journey. Definitely was a civilised way to travel. Viv.

431677_10150759121748238_527528237_12465851_403247514_n.jpg
How about this

Although we lived in a 1930s house, they were built with a coal house at the side in the back garden but not attached to the house. It was like a little house with a sort of stable door. The coalman would bring the sacks on a cart and carry them through the side gate, down the side of the house and empty them into the coalhouse. He didn't have to bring the sacks through the house - a practical little feature thought through by the architect. When coal went out of fashion I think most people knocked down these coalhouses. Viv.

I cant remember using it but I can remember my mom saying about Friars Balsam in a bowl of hot water which you had to inhale to help if you had a chest infection.

hi guys
another medical compound was used in those days ; a small round cardboard box of black jack ;
it would draw any matter and raise carbunkals and boils and any poisons with in ;
also acryl flavin in a brown bottle and a deep yellow in colour liquid for healing wounds ;
astonian

Servis electric heater c1930. Don't see this type of heater anymore. Probably just as well, they look quite dangerous. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330784870.387161.jpg

Afraid I don't remember any of these, but how outside the box thinking is 'Ballot' ? Mmmm now let's think..... we have a soap powder, washes clothes better than all the others, we can use the voting form on our packaging to show this is the right choice ..... yes I've got it, let's call it Ballot!!! Wonder if the advertising agency on this one stayed in business? Viv.

My Dad always used Swarfega to get the oil and grease off his hands when he'd been working on cars or dirty jobs. I wonder if it's still around?

Judy

img550.jpg
I remember Dreft but I think it was in a different box to this one.

You can definitely buy Swarfega online. There's lots of info on it if you look it up online. I also liked Chemico which is also available online. Not sure if any stores in the UK stock that one. I went to an outdoor fair in Devon a few years ago and there was man with a table selling Chemico. I used it to clean my bicycle in years gone by but it was good for cleaning many things.

Nice to see California Poppy talc in there (post #1262). I had the perfume (didn't we call it 'scent' ?). Don't think that's available now. Surprised to see Outdoor Girl products on the shelf. I thought that brand first appeared in 1960s. Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back