• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreaded Wheat - ha, ha Stitcher! Now you have two products on the last shelf that would interest me - Cerebos onion salt for the flavour and Bournville Childrens Cocoa for the free toy in every tin! But what a lot of cocoas. The Rowntrees one could be mistaken for Colemans Dry Mustard. We used to have specal mugs for drinking Bournvita. They had a man in the moon face, tallish mugs, a sort of pale, yellowish eartherware colour. Remember sitting in front of the coal fire with a mug of that many nights. Viv.

View attachment 74184
I was fed all of these when I was a nipper.

Seeing the Scotts Porridge Oats brought back a tasty memory. Now let's be honest, porridge is a bit dull on its own. But let's add a sprinkling of sugar, jam or honey, then drizzle with Carnation evaporated milk. The cold evap would jellify some of the porridge - loved those bits. That was a good winter breakfast if ever there was. Remember when you'd open the Carnation can with one of those lethal can openers (not the winding type) and you'd make two very small openings in the can before pouring. Now why was that? That Kelloggs Cornflake box looks a bit small to me. Would last us only a couple of days! That also reminds me of those small multipak Variety cereals. We didn't have these very often though. A friend of mine had a playhouse in her garden which her dad built and we saved the empty Variety boxes to play shop with in the playhouse. I'm off now to track down some evaporated milk! Viv.

Do you remember Quaker Oats, I didnt realise for many years that the "Quaker" on the front of the pack was a man!
I just thought it was a strange looking woman.

I don't think the Carnation Milk would pour from the tin unless there were two holes punched into it Viv.

Didn't know Heinz beans once had green labels. The only bottled liquid coffee & chicory to survive seems to be Camp coffee. Never buy it now but always liked it and I know it's still on the big supermarket shelves.

Last edited by a moderator:
img479.jpg
Mom & Dad were both married twice and both had a couple of children from those marriages. This of course means that I had several step brothers and sisters. One step sister is still alive and quite active and at 91 years of age she will do The Charleston. Not as good as she used to do it but she does do it. Three step sisters have passed on god rest them and I can remember them making clothes similar to these after adapting patterns to their liking.

I do like the patterns Stitcher. I spent many hours browsing the enormous catalogues that shops had, that might be local haberdashers (not many around now) or at the haberdashery department in the big stores like Lewis's and Rackhams. They used to stock hundreds of patterns from all the big names like Vogue, Butterick, Simplicity etc. Some are still around if you can find a haberdashery store. Patterns can nowadays cost between £5 and £14. Vogue ones can be pricey and they do a vintage range. So now it can be quite an initial outlay, when you consider the cost of ready made. I always felt reallly excited at the thought of getting a new pattern and material. In school sewing lessons we had to make our own pattern for a school summer dress and then make it with the special school material. All useful skills which have come in very handy over time. Wish patterns were still 6d. Many thanks for posting. Viv.

Hello again Viv, 40-45 years ago I used to make most of my wife's (Sheila's) clothes along with most of my shirts and I did once make myself an evening suit. With Sheila's dresses I found it quite easy to alter the neck-line, change the type of short sleeves and flair or tighten the skirt. I used to use a sewing shop in Hurst Street almost opposite The Hippodrome or The Fancy Silk Store in Edgbaston Streett plus a few others when we out and about. I made most of our sons clothes when he was a toddler and up until he started school.

I believe the side streets by the Hippodrome were a good place for clothes. An uncle, who was single and seemed to be well heeled, took me to a tailors shop in a street opposite the Hippodrome. He was very knowledgeable about gentleman's clothing, especially the better quality product, so a young man - as I then was - was able to learn much from him in this respect.

He was a Londoner and much to the families annoyance taught me far too much Rhyming Slang!

Yes I agree Alan, the shop I mentioned was directly opposite the Hippodrome and it was a tailers suppliers as well as an outfitters. I used to buy the stiffening for the lapels and lots of other items from there. I think he was a Jew and he always had in stock what I wanted.

img442 - Copy.jpg
Those products on the bottom shelf are unfamiliar to me.
img442.jpg
Ooh Malted Milk Cocoa.
img440.jpg
I don't find these very appetising.

Lyon's tea in a packet...just spoon it into the teapot and use a strainer over your cup. Have'nt seen this in years now...it's all bags here. When you retire suit's are of little importance anymore except for the rare special occasion. Come to think of it I have not seen anyone around in a suit for years; it's sports coat and pants mostly. Thinking again...I only have one set of these for best and have not used this for years. Casual...thats the thing. Open shirt or T shirt...cords or jeans...maybe a bomber jacket. ..thank goodness...love it. Have a pile of silk ties that might make the Antiques road show some day. Come to think...once again...I have not had a watch on my wrist in the last 10 years. The sun is accurate enough except for appointments.
A word of warning. If you have a function coming up; check your best stuff well in advance. The ties will be ok but suits and pants have a habit of shrinking fast when not worn.

img476.jpg
I definately do not remember wearing these, although they do look nice and comfortable.

I had left a red wrapper on my slightly wet working surface which coloured it red. I thought how am I going to get rid of it. My thought immediately was POWEDERED VIM! I did get it off with a little elbow grease and Mr Muscle.

They might itch a bit Stitcher, if they were knitted in pure wool, as most things were in those days. I remember patterns like this though as late st the 1960's, and I believe I still have one.

Luckily Rupert, we can still buy loose tea here. In fact I do buy it, and use the tea strainer, it makes a far better cup of tea than tea bags.

Hi Maggs - yes I still have a couple of similar patterns for knitted boys suits that were done for my boys in the late 60s! Talking of knitted clothes - do you remember having a knitted swimming costume? You used to have to watch out getting out of the water with one of those on as the wool got heavy and water-logged and pulled the costume down round your knees!

img481 - Copy (2).jpg---img481 - Copy.jpg---img481.jpg
I am not going to mention a thing about how nice and smart these dreses used to look.

Yes Judy, I do remember knitted swimming costumes, but fortunately never had one, I did have one of those ruched things though that pinched though. I did knit a little pair of trousers and matching top for my son. This is the pattern I still have, I think it was a Woolworths pattern.

You can Judy, in fact I have just bought some to make some gluten free pastry. However, I couldn't stand Stork marg on bread. When they used to have the advert 'Can you tell Stork from butter', I always hoped the man would knock on my door, because I could have won that money easily.

You are not the only one Maggs, Stork was never even remotely like butter. Lurpak it always was for me and Lurpak it always will be, I am afraid.

My Mom did as well Lyn. She made the most wonderful pastry I've ever tasted and always used half Stork and half Lard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back