• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely pics, very cheery to see, much better than all the Christmas decorations that are in the garden centres, it's too early for me.

Great Hydrangea cuttings, really hoping to get an update on the one with the dark leaves next year, hope it flowers.

I've put some bulbs in some terracotta troughs which were a bargain from the garden centre.

Other than tidying, not done a lot. The garden at the bottom needs another jet wash, my hand was getting tired by that point!!!!!! Mild weather today, very nice here.

The beauty and symmetry of flowers is just amazing, why don’t we appreciate them when we are younger?
for probably very much the same reason chunky that most of us did not appreciate fine buildings.....far too busy doing other things like working and raising a family...dahlias were one of our dads specialities

lyn

The beauty and symmetry of flowers is just amazing, why don’t we appreciate them when we are younger?
I may not be typical (!) but I did admire plants and flowers from a very young age. Loved helping in the garden. I especially remember being fascinated by the big poppies we grew with their scarlet petals and black stamens. We grew a lot of veg too, and even to this day I love to see climbing runner bean follage with their scarlet flowers. One other striking memory was, when on holiday in Cornwall on our regular walk into St Agnes to pick up fresh bread from the bakery it would take us through a massive patch of nasturtiums. I expect someone had been guerilla gardening ! I still plant lots of these in my own garden as I like the leaves and the flowers the plants produce. I let them creep through other plants in the garden. Then you get the bonus of the pea-like seeds for self-seeding.

Flowers for me often bring back strong memories of places and events. Viv

I may not be typical (!) but I did admire plants and flowers from a very young age. Loved helping in the garden. I especially remember being fascinated by the big poppies we grew with their scarlet petals and black stamens. We grew a lot of veg too, and even to this day I love to see climbing runner bean follage with their scarlet flowers. One other striking memory was, when on holiday in Cornwall on our regular walk into St Agnes to pick up fresh bread from the bakery it would take us through a massive patch of nasturtiums. I expect someone had been guerilla gardening ! I still plant lots of these in my own garden as I like the leaves and the flowers the plants produce. I let them creep through other plants in the garden. Then you get the bonus of the pea-like seeds for self-seeding.

Flowers for me often bring back strong memories of places and events. Viv
Yes Viv, if I catch the scent of an old fashioned rose, the kind that have a strong perfume it transports me back. Not sure where but it evokes a lot of memories!

Yes Viv, if I catch the scent of an old fashioned rose, the kind that have a strong perfume it transports me back. Not sure where but it evokes a lot of memories!
I have similar experiences particularly smelling certain things, remind me of something in my past, not always sure where many times. I just try to enjoy the moment!

considering where you are steve the garden is looking good...we are having a 3 days warm spell here so i am taking advantage of it by starting the end of season tidy up...

lyn

Quick facts​

Trees on boundary lines are owned jointly by both neighbours
Regular tree inspection reduces liability
Overhanging branches should be offered back to the neighbour after removal
Windfall fruit and fruit on overhanging branches cannot be taken without consent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back