• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
We moved into our current house 5 years ago and it has (by chance not choice) an artificial lawn. Just needs an occasional sweep up. It is only a small area and always looks neat. However I would not put an artificial lawn in myself.
We have neighbors who have artificial lawns, we have a natural lawn. It needs taking care of particularly in the hot summers. We have an irrigation system that waters that and our plants and service that fertilizes the lawn and shrubs. Nothing like a natural lawn we think!

We have neighbors who have artificial lawns, we have a natural lawn. It needs taking care of particularly in the hot summers. We have an irrigation system that waters that and our plants and service that fertilizes the lawn and shrubs. Nothing like a natural lawn we think!
Our previous house came with the standard developers lawn and paved footpath. However the lawn was a total no go area most of the time because it was on clay and mostly waterlogged.It had to go.

Our previous house came with the standard developers lawn and paved footpath. However, the lawn was a total no go area most of the time because it was on clay and mostly waterlogged.It had to go.
That is such a shame............Not sure how big your lawn was, but 6" of soil under the lawn could have stopped most of that, builders everywhere are/get lazy.
In our other house which was custom built toward the end of the development, we had a row of small shrubs that suddenly died after a few years. neighbors who moved in before us told us that the builder used that area to pile up building rubbish. We had 14 shrubs pulled out and replaced, the landscaper who did the work had the soil tested by our local university ag center and found that the area was not draining causing the shrubs to die. He installed an 8" perforated drainage pipe and never looked back; the shrubs flourished.

Such a Night​

It was a night, ooh, what a night
It was, it really was such a night
The moon was bright, oh, how bright
from Evis such a night
we had a right storm last night the garden is flooded and leaves all over the ground

what garden insects see
link is quite interesting

insect eye.png

Such a Night​

It was a night, ooh, what a night
The moon was bright, oh, how bright
from Evis such a night
we had a right storm last night the garden is flooded and leaves all over the ground
Hope your garden has recovered from the storm and there's minimal damage.

A few pictures from Tarzan's garden.

In reality, the walled garden of the old Head Gardeners house at Greystoke Castle.

The castle is no longer lived in.

The walled garden is still looking good. Full of shrubs, flowers, fruit trees, butterflies, etc.

Steve.
Fabulous photos. Very in usual dahlia in the first of two.

Thankfully, no.

We were away for four days, and I was expecting our garden to be kaput when we returned, but the rain gods were on my side. Still looking OK.

The Starlings soon found the food.

I did bring a new Buddlia home.

The flowers have an intense aroma of honey.

Steve.

Love the greens and purples that you can sometimes see in the Starlings.

Thankfully, no.

We were away for four days, and I was expecting our garden to be kaput when we returned, but the rain gods were on my side. Still looking OK.

The Starlings soon found the food.

I did bring a new Buddlia home.

The flowers have an intense aroma of honey.

Steve.
what a great photo of the starling with chomp in its Beak it looks almost reptilian..well done Notsharp

1695592734819.png
This is a shrub that we thought we had lost last winter. In early April it showed no signs of life, we cut it back & fed it then! It has really taken off and if you look closely there are new buds still coming.
We have a number of shrubs that did this and are dearly in the need of trimming, in the meantime we are enjoying! Nature is remarkable.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back