• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 184161
This was tree shrubs in our garden that were wiped out with last winter's cold. We cut them back and we were told to wait with them until may or June. Sure, enough in late May we started to see green.......Then they went crazy. growing & blooming all over. What you can't see in the photo are all the new buds emerging. Mother nature is such a wonderful thing & so enjoyable!
1694620798482.png
Here are a few of the blooms decorating our family room. The shrubs are continuing to blossom!

soon be time to get my hot washer out in the garden and blast the green algie away its getting slippy now:(

ants could take over the world

Most species of ants are territorial and do not tolerate interference in their nests. As a result, humans are known as the predators of these tiny insects that crush thousands of ants underfoot each day.
This massive killing gives rise to their anger and revenge to wipe out the population of humans from the planet and take control of it.
However, these insects do not bother the presence of humans until they responsible for causing potential harm to their population.
We rented a little cabin in Cape Cod when our children were very young. We thought for sure they were taking over our world. Never used so much ant spray and traps!

Some years ago a group of us went to one of the holiday camps, [not sure which one]. First thing I did was to put the kettle on and found it full of ants. then found they were even in the bed. Gives me the shivers thinking of it. No more holiday camps for us!!! We have found several nests of late in the front garden.
as Kat said, they fascinate me particularly in woodland when you see them carrying stuff around much bigger than themselves

as long as they stay in the garden they are welcome. here.:grinning:
1694682637761.jpeg

i think the squirrel has won now
:grinning:
Latest on the sunflower news. Pete it might be squirrel 5 but my sunflowers are tough and they fight back.
Got up this morning to a dreary drizzly day - looked out and spied a little ray of sunshine. Yes... after many mishaps one sunflower has finally opened. This poor plant lost 3 flower buds to the squirrel but has won through. The one pic is taken looking down from the back bedroom window - gets the best view.
sunflower open.JPG

Attachments

• flower head.JPG
    flower head.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 2
Latest on the sunflower news. Pete it might be squirrel 5 but my sunflowers are tough and they fight back.
Got up this morning to a dreary drizzly day - looked out and spied a little ray of sunshine. Yes... after many mishaps one sunflower has finally opened. This poor plant lost 3 flower buds to the squirrel but has won through. The one pic is taken looking down from the back bedroom window - gets the best view.
View attachment 184320
i dont know what you feed it Janice but it sure is good stuff:grinning:

The number of butterflies in the UK has risen to its highest level since 2019, according to conservationists. Research by the Butterfly Conservation wildlife charity recorded more than 1.5 million butterflies and day-flying moths between 14 July and 6 August
View attachment 184343

That's good to know.
We have had quite a lot (for us) here, this season, but Hover Fly numbers are way down.

Steve.

i guess it depends on where you live then because i have hardly seen any butterflys this year even though i planted lots of wild flowers to attract them... :( mind you the weather has not been very good this summer

lyn

lot of Butterfly's here steve :grinning:Cabbage white butterflies are attracted to nasturtium leaves and they will often choose to lay their eggs on them the lava then chomp the leaves.

making pete very mad

1694759852194.jpeg
1694759869085.jpeg

Totally agree with you Kat. I love to see a well kept lawn but nothing worse than long grass and weeds together. I could never do anything with our front lawn after we moved in, so dug it up and now have flower beds with a few Acers and bushes. Also, in the back garden had a guy in to dig it up and now mostly gravel and boxes/tubs and ornaments. So glad very little work to be done now.

I think for me a lawn would be OK if as soon as it grew I had the time and motivation to mow it straight away. Lovely to see a nice lawn don't get me wrong.

All of my winter pansies are in now. Oooh I didn't post yesterday and I meant to, after I'd jet washed the back garden!!!! Wahay, that's all of my jobs done for autumn/winter, except for a bit of tidying and washing the garden down due to my chihuahua boys sprinkling on the pots!

I think for me a lawn would be OK if as soon as it grew I had the time and motivation to mow it straight away. Lovely to see a nice lawn don't get me wrong.

All of my winter pansies are in now. Oooh I didn't post yesterday and I meant to, after I'd jet washed the back garden!!!! Wahay, that's all of my jobs done for autumn/winter, except for a bit of tidying and washing the garden down due to my chihuahua boys sprinkling on the pots!
We moved into our current house 5 years ago and it has (by chance not choice) an artificial lawn. Just needs an occasional sweep up. It is only a small area and always looks neat. However I would not put an artificial lawn in myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back