• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have in the corner of my garden an olive tree, my daughter sent it to me as a pot plant some long time ago so when it outgrew the pot I popped it into the garden, it's now about ten feet tall.
What I'd like to know is, I have some Miracle-Gro I bought for the Camelia would that be good or bad for the olive tree?

I have in the corner of my garden an olive tree, my daughter sent it to me as a pot plant some long time ago so when it outgrew the pot I popped it into the garden, it's now about ten feet tall.
What I'd like to know is, I have some Miracle-Gro I bought for the Camelia would that be good or bad for the olive tree?
Anyone got any idea?

Anyone got any idea?
The Gardner in chief here says it will be OK. If it has lost leaves in the winter, (like ours did), then now would be a good time to feed it. It may be a good idea to dilute and feed it a couple of weeks apart.

Is it decorative or are you getting a crop from it ?

Old stumpy olives, big thick trunks but not very tall are very popular here. They cost anywhere between 250 to 400 euros in (big) pots.

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew, I just wasn't sure if the stuff labelled for Azalea Camellia and Rhododendron was the right stuff for the Olive, I'm told it 'might' produce fruit at about seven years old but have no idea really as it came as a pot plant.
I'll post a picture later.

Talk about timing. I have just been in the garden (in sunshine) - replaced my second late lamented bottle brush shrub with a "hardy bush fuschia". I decided the bottle brushe shrubs were too expensive compared to what I originally paid. : unamused:
I did a quick cut (with knife) round the remaining stepping stones on our lawn and was just locking the shed when the first spots of rain came.
I ran and topped the bird feeders and got in just as the rain came.
However, by the time I had changed from my mucky gardening clothes and made a cuppa the rain had stopped nd we have a watery sun again. :D

Pjmburns, I've just had the a conversation with someone about spasmodic rain!!!!!!!

Please to hear what you did to replace your bottle brush. I lost my BB last year, I haven't replaced it, too expensive.

Also, can I use general miracle grow on my potted olive tree? Thanks.

Thanks Andrew, I just wasn't sure if the stuff labelled for Azalea Camellia and Rhododendron was the right stuff for the Olive, I'm told it 'might' produce fruit at about seven years old but have no idea really as it came as a pot plant.
I'll post a picture later.
Eric, we use Miricle-Grow. I think there are two types, one for flowers and another for trees veggies etc. I know I mixed them up too many times. The result however was ether worked well for us. As Andrew said dilute and water every couple of weeks. I always used the mixture a little stronger than prescribed with very good results.

Pjmburns, I've just had the a conversation with someone about spasmodic rain!!!!!!!

Please to hear what you did to replace your bottle brush. I lost my BB last year, I haven't replaced it, too expensive.

Also, can I use general miracle grow on my potted olive tree? Thanks.
I think you can use your MG as prescribed! I keep a sprayer ready to go a all times!

Still got jetwashing to finish but Saturday is baking day so jetwashing on hold.

Did nip out to put down some mealworms and suet pellets as Mr and Mrs Blackbird seem to be collecting food. We had a nesting pair nearby last year and I can't work out where these two are heading for as the don't fly direct.
Managed to get a pic of Mr B before he was joined by a magpie. He saw off the magpie - they had a face off in the nearby tree but I couldn't get a pic from the kitchen window as the angle was wrong.

Attachments

• Mr Blackbird.JPG
    Mr Blackbird.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Magpie 2.jpg
    Magpie 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6
While out in the garden I snapped the two weigelas - the darker pink one is always ahead of the pale, variegated leaved one. I pruned these about a month ago and now they are n bloom. I know this will die off and there will be a lull before they flower again.

Attachments

• dark weigela.JPG
    dark weigela.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 6
  • pale weigela.JPG
    pale weigela.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 6
The question is why this Palm tree that has been healthy for a number of years, suddenly gave up the ghost this year ? Looked on the net and some recommend sawing about 3 inches at time to see if there are tubes in the centre of the trunk. If so it may regenerate. Any ideas ?

96A64D85-46E9-4297-81DA-99B4B6D9D1EB.jpeg

The question is why this Palm tree that has been healthy for a number of years, suddenly gave up the ghost this year ? Looked on the net and some recommend sawing about 3 inches at time to see if there are tubes in the centre of the trunk. If so it may regenerate. Any ideas ?

View attachment 180287
Not a Palm tree but we have been told (we had a very hard winter) to scratch toward the base and look for any green or signs of life. We did on some and not on others. The ones with good signs were cut way back and seem to be flourishing, lots of fresh leaves. Good Luck!

I did lots of gardening at the weekend. I did know it too, found it a bit difficult to stand up!!!! OK now though. Interesting how not really having done any gardening for 2 weeks can have an effect on you and put you out of shape!!!!

The Pyracantha is going well at the moment. The birds fight over this when it has its red berries on.
Pyracantha.jpeg
The fronds on the left of it are Pampas leaves. That plant needs cutting down a bit but it can be a bit vicious and needs protective gear to be worn.

And this little raised bed seems happy.
raisedbed.jpeg
It has developed a bit of a lean recently, so this afternoon it is getting a couple of bracing struts.

I mowed the field over the last two days. The grass was about 600mm high, and it made the ride-on sweat a bit. Birds think I do it just for them and descend on it to find the field crickets. Last year it was almost a desert at this time. We have had a lot of warm rain recently, and everything is taking advantage. There was a lot of Tassel Hyacinth (Mascari comosum) in the field this year, unfortunately the ride-on does not discriminate between blue and green very well (maybe it suffers from Tritanomaly), but they will come back again.

Andrew.

Three of the fox cubs come down every day, the fourth one is the smallest and comes on his own as the three tend to be boisterous and he gets left out. They are almost fully grown now, they spend a long time on the grass. Yesterday the magpie was swooping down over them and they were quite annoyed! The woodpigeons seem to like teasing too.
rosie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back