• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent nearly 2 hours with the garden work group over the road in Windermere Fields - watered the wildflower beds where seeds planted recently seem to be starting to show. Pulled up loads of sycamore seedlings from the spring flower area in the small woodland. Cut a newpath through the raspberry canes to link the woodland area to the main fields. (I hasten to add that I didn't do all that myself o_O - I helped cut the path).

After that too tired to do much in my garden apart from watering the areas which are sheltered from the rain and are dry.

Spent nearly 2 hours with the garden work group over the road in Windermere Fields - watered the wildflower beds where seeds planted recently seem to be starting to show. Pulled up loads of sycamore seedlings from the spring flower area in the small woodland. Cut a newpath through the raspberry canes to link the woodland area to theyou main fields. (I hasten to add that I didn't do all that myself o_O - I helped cut the path).

After that too tired to do much in my garden apart from watering the areas which are sheltered from the rain and are dry.
sounds like you and the garden group have been very busy again jan...well done to all...my wildflower seeds are also coming up

lyn

The good bit is that the Fields are like my front garden :D .
Our house is an old terraced cottage and so has no front garden - apart from the bit under the eaves but literally over the road are the fields. It s nice to think generations to come will see the saplings we have planted become part of a forest. Leaving a legacy for the future. :)

Thanks Lyn. Won't post more on here as it is going off title even though I call the fields my front garden.
However, if anyone is interested then more about the fields can be found here

I've just looked at street view, Windermere fields, looks lovely. I can see some of the cottages too, I love those old cottages, full of character. Nice to learn about such things pjm, thank you.

I hope I've put this on the correct thread (general discussion). Every time I've logged on over past few weeks, I get a cookie preference pop up. I've been pressing the accept button but, it shows up again the next time. Is this now the norm?

I hope I've put this on the correct thread (general discussion). Every time I've logged on over past few weeks, I get a cookie preference pop up. I've been pressing the accept button but, it shows up again the next time. Is this now the norm?
I have set a cookie preference on my computer rather than accept. The button no longer shows up on my screen,

Changing the subject, Bourganvilliea. I had one in a pot last year, bought it in over winter, itlooks fabulous. I've now got one that is a mix, I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow. Has anyone got any tips for keeping these plants?

Definitely not Herb Robert which grows well in my garden! . However it is very shallow rooted, almost lies on top of the soil and is very easy to pull up.
View attachment 180369

If you left the roots "it will be back".
Yes I guess so but I suspect the roots will be tangled with the Yucca roots so I'm reluctant to rip them up. The Yucca has been popping up there since I came here thirty years ago this is the only other thing to pop up in the patch except a few dandelions.

i bought 4 different pond plants just before covid..they were only small but have now grown and multiplied..this lovely yellow one has about 4 flowers on it this year and if you look over the the right you can see by the stems that it has rooted under water and i have another 3 or 4 plants appear and it looks like they will all flower this year but at different times and my 2 fish still seem happy although i have pulled out some waste roots so they they have enough room to swim about..its nothing fancy but its my little bit of nature

lyn

pond 2.jpegpond  1.jpeg

Last edited:
I have also today transplanted two unknowns - they seemed to be thriving so have simply moved them. The two small seedlings might be aplle as I think I popped a couple of pips in a small pot. The other - well I do have an idea but wonder if anyone else can identify ot for me.

Attachments

• what am I.JPG
    what am I.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 11
  • self seed.JPG
    self seed.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back