• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield Street

Not sure of the year
gwrhd690.jpg

cracking pics tospy....ive walked through there many times...

thanks for posting it

lyn

Memories......... Dealt with my first road traffic accident under that bridge in 1958. A bloke pulling a cart with 'any old iron' on board was collected by a car going in the same direction of the Lone Ranger. No injuries - just pride damaged. Before anyone asks - no that is not me attending the same, as the lone ranger. Will.

Last edited:
I passed the old Birmingham mint site last week, and on the opposite side of the road ,corner of Hingeston St and Icknield St is a new buiding, looks like a Mosque or similar.

hi will ;
i expect he was on is way to kingedwards rd to the kirbys tat yard or if heading towards the flat end way
he was on is way up to clarkies up ledsam street ; but just thinking back it was ild nosey parker or moulties whom had the cart
but saying that some of our old members whom was from clarke street may remember old george whom kept his horse up the back yard stable ; they will remember and his surname but its every chance they was there way to alberts yard [ kirby ] i think they had left farm street just before that year and moved up to kingedwards rd ;
any old iron ; any old rags . they would call out and get a gold fish never lived more than two days ;
best wishes astonian ;;;;

thanks for that infol topsy..i often wondered what would happen to it....its a lot of money though for a loo...lol

lyn

Photograph taken yesterday of new shops that have replaced (part of) the demolished shops/back-to-backs.

Attachments

• Renovated shops Icknield Street.jpg
    Renovated shops Icknield Street.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 57
Thank you very much for the pic Charlie. It's my old home, looking so different. It did need some improvement though.

Unbelievable Topsy. £50,000 I used to cross the road at these lights every day on my way to school, but in those days it was just a zebra crossing with flashing beacons. Do you know what us locals called it??? The Gardens. It was about the nearest thing to a garden that we had around there.

Hi there - new to this site - Does anyone have any info on the building show in my next post? I'm currently restoring it and would like keep as much as we can

Capture3.JPGThis building is on the corner of carver st and icknield street - its part of the old mint - but not really sure if it was part of something else in the past

hi pedrico...good to hear that this building is being saved but i dont have any idea if it was used for something else before being part of the mint..my guess is not but hopefully someone on the forum can help you...good luck with your project..

lyn

interesting - sounds like this may take a while to research. I'd very much like to name the building first. I have found a could of old pics which show the building in the background
930f42c0.jpg931032f0.jpg

those are cracking pics pedrico..not seen the one on the left before but both show the old horse trough..i wonder what name you will choose for your building..im only thinking out loud now but THE ICKNIELD WORKS sound ok...ive sent you an im as well with the the link to the old ladywood site which maybe of help to you..

lyn

What is the address. Is it carver st, Warstone lane or Icknield st? It looks from early maps as if it might not have always been part of the mint. Could it be the one marked Brookfield works on the c 1890 map below ?

map_c_1890_around_carver_st_icknield_st_junc.jpg

How do you recondition a 'back to back' and preserve. They were always in a state of dissrepair as I recall and the maintenance was largely neglected by land lords. Even the construction when new was known as 'jerry built' with facilities akin to those of backward countries. Hardly the abodes for builders of empires one would have thought. So, my point is, maybe preservation should reflect the decrepitness of it all and not be ever so nicely done...it never was ever so nice. I don't know how you preserve to the level of damp walls and peeling wallpaper and leaking roofs and frozen shared loos. Level the lot and move on.

I think it might be the one with in the pink square - see picture below
Capture.JPG it looks like it could be part of that block so i'll try do some googling on that company

hi pedrico for mike to pinpoint it exactly on the map can you give him the actually address of your building...where you have marked in pink looks to me like it was the row of old shops that was recently demolished...you can see them in the background of both pics that you posted..

lyn

Last edited:
The shops were on the other side of carver street - The site i'm talking about unfortunately came as a plot number as it was sold off when the company originally building the mint developement went bust. The plots went from 1 - 8 and this is called 8B so probably not much help

The shops were on the other side of carver street - The site i'm talking about unfortunately came as a plot number as it was sold off when the company originally building the mint developement went bust. The plots went from 1 - 8 and this is called 8B so probably not much help

then i am way out of my depth with this one pedrico...mike is really very good with this sort of thing so i am hoping when he reads your posts he maybe able to work it out for you..

lyn

right ive got my bearing now and quite right the demolished shops were on the other side of carver st...never been good at directions...

lyn

Below are three google earth pictures with the 1890 map superimposed to various degrees. The first is just the grid, the second half and half and the third mainly the map. the building we are discussing is the white roofed building, It can be seen here that this corresponds the the buidling below that named as Brookfield manufactory, which is above the one Pedrico thought might be it.

1890_map_superimp_on_carver_st__ick_st_junc_3.jpg

1890_map_superimp_on_carver_st__ick_st_junc_2.jpg

1890_map_superimp_on_carver_st__ick_st_junc2C1.jpg

Finally here is a larger scale c 1889 map showing the building on that site in red. I would tend to think by looking at the syle, that the frontage at least is the same building.

map_c_1889_junc_Icknield_st___Carver_St.jpg

wow - looks awesome - i wrote to carl chinn last night and he kindly replied -

I have copied the entry for the 1873 Wrightson's Directory of Birmingham, asbelow. It indicates that there was a stopper company and a sand dealer onthe site as well. Unsurprising as the area was noted for its sand pits - butthe stopper company is interesting. It was still there in 1890 when it wasa stopper, box and stamp company with Benjamin Crowe as manager.Interestingly in 1890 that entry is followed by another for Benjamin Crowewith Graham House in brackets. That could be your name.The stopper company is there again in Kelly's Directory for 1908 but is nowalso given as making cycle components. It's is still there as the stoppercompany and making cycle components in 1933 but has gone by 1940.I hope this helps

Back