• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home made traditional food

Mom`s were different back in the day. Like you said, they made do with what simple in gredients they had & by golly they tasted good. Nowadays it`s a big mac or kfc with a large fizzy drink. I wish i could replicate Mom`s beef dripping sarnie, & the sight (& sound of my dad gobbling a pigs trotter.

My dad loved Trotters, slathered in brown sauce. Mom's favourite was Tripe and Onions.

Steve.

dad had a hock sat nights we had pigs feet or Chitterlings

as a child in the 1950's, offal of all sorts was a regular part of the family diet. Mum frequently served up faggots, kidneys, liver, Tongue sandwiches were regularly presented for Sunday afternoon tea, and brains on thick white toast was a delightful snack served up on a weekday, when I got home from school
:yum:yum

Yes. Offal was cheap and nourishing. When I worked in Brum, I used to buy half a pigs head from the Market, and take it to my dad. He would make Brawn, pressed in a big, white, crock bowl. Sliced, in-between two thick slices of Bloomer loaf, and plenty of butter. Not the healthy option, but mighty tasty. :D

I don't recall tinned food at home. I was fourteen before I tried tinned beans on toast.

Steve.

That Granny cake looks delicious Steve. Do you have the recipe. I havn't done any baking for years. Long time ago I was teased to enter a Bero competition for Victoria Sponge. Never baked before. Twenty cakes entered and judges didn't know who entered each one. I won it and felt embarrassed when it was announced, as only man who did

That Granny cake looks delicious Steve. Do you have the recipe. I havn't done any baking for years. Long time ago I was teased to enter a Bero competition for Victoria Sponge. Never baked before. Twenty cakes entered and judges didn't know who entered each one. I won it and felt embarrassed when it was announced, as only man who did

Other than using all Sultanas, I followed this recipe.

I looked for an easy recipe for my first attempt, and this was it.

Steve.

That game pie looks superb, Pete. Winter food at its best.

This week, I made a big batch of Chilli to get the freezer stocked up. I used 3 Kg. of venison in it.

We have access to plenty of Game up here, so it is our main source of protein.

These are Pheasant escalopes, which I make often.

Steve.
:yum:yum

My folks ate a lot of rabbit, hence so did we kids. I still do, but only wild rabbits.

We did not get much chance to try anything "exotic".

I made another cake this morning, (baking as I type. It bought back memories of my mom baking cakes, with me and my brother waiting impatiently to clean out the mixing bowl.

Steve.

That game pie looks superb, Pete. Winter food at its best.

This week, I made a big batch of Chilli to get the freezer stocked up. I used 3 Kg. of venison in it.

We have access to plenty of Game up here, so it is our main source of protein.

These are Pheasant escalopes, which I make often.

Steve.
Chili & venison sounds great at anytime especially in the winter!

Back