• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home made traditional food

As a nipper I remember eating a lot of minced beef, rabbit and neck of lamb stew. This would’ve been because it was cheap. I rarely buy lamb neck now, it’s delicious buy very expensive for what it is. What changed? I also remember my Dad eating tripe, heart, brains and pigs trotters. I used to come home from school to see a heart or a brain soaking in a Pyrex bowl like something from a Hammer horror film. I suppose growing up in the 1920s he would have been served a lot of them.
I’m lucky to have a wife who is a wonderful cook, and the nicest recipes always come from this book which her Mum bought her years ago. Nice and simple, you don’t need to do much if you have good ingredients to begin with.
When I worked at a butchers shop after school & Saturday, neck of lamb was basically given away as pet food. Some people did eat or make soup. But about the least expensive thing we had. Minced beef was a filler food, there were little in the way of controls in what went into it in those days.
But we all got through it regardless!

Bought some lamb's hearts last week. Butcher (not supermarket) doesn'thave them often as most go to for dissection in biology lessons. The hearts are in the freezer. Will make a stuffing to go in them then braise in onion gravy and have with mash and veg.
Janice, that sounds pretty good, braised with onion gravy & veg!

When I worked at a butchers shop after school & Saturday, neck of lamb was basically given away as pet food. Some people did eat or make soup. But about the least expensive thing we had. Minced beef was a filler food, there were little in the way of controls in what went into it in those days.
But we all got through it regardless!
“What’s for tea, Mum?”
“Mince and onions.”
Mince and onions, boiled potatoes and tinned peas. Seemed fine to me at the time, but I tried some tinned peas again not long ago and dear god they were awful. I don’t know what liquid they’re packed in but they smelled like someone had micturated into the can before sealing it up. Regarding mince, I remember a pal who worked at a butcher’s telling me that if they had some that was turning brown they’d pass it through the mincer again with a heart or two in order to “redden it up.”

“What’s for tea, Mum?”
“Mince and onions.”
Mince and onions, boiled potatoes and tinned peas. Seemed fine to me at the time, but I tried some tinned peas again not long ago and dear god they were awful. I don’t know what liquid they’re packed in but they smelled like someone had micturated into the can before sealing it up. Regarding mince, I remember a pal who worked at a butcher’s telling me that if they had some that was turning brown they’d pass it through the mincer again with a heart or two in order to “redden it up.”
They usually put green dye in the peas to green them up & sometimes it makes the smell terrible!

It'll Make You Less Gassy​

if you love beans but can't stand the way you feel after eating them (read: bloated, gassy), you're definitely not alone. Beans are a particularly gas-inducing food because they contain oligosaccharides, a type of sugar our bodies can't digest well. Oligosaccharides can make it all the way down to the large intestine before the body fully digests them, which can cause the production of gas and make us feel uncomfortable.
But, according to a study from 1985, adding a little baking soda to the water while soaking dried beans decreases the amount of gas-causing oligosaccharides in cooked beans. (Yes, you can cook beans in the same water they were soaked in.

not long enough on for me i dont like to see hemo:eek:
Went to restaurant over here a little while back. Thought I would give the steak tartare a try. Julie gave me a strange look because she knows my taste in meat. I don't think you would like it either Pete. It was still mooing. I did manage to eat it though, (by shutting my eyes and thinking of England ).
Andrew.

Went to restaurant over here a little while back. Thought I would give the steak tartare a try. Julie gave me a strange look because she knows my taste in meat. I don't think you would like it either Pete. It was still mooing. I did manage to eat it though, (by shutting my eyes and thinking of England ).
Andrew.
I like it very rare, my wife likes it galloping! Not sure about steak tartare, the meat has to be VERY fresh or you will know about it!

Back